• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
What with BBBC signing on for another two years, I was wondering- who is the best 'targetman' striker you can remember in your time supporting the Shrimpers?

Ian Benjamin was probably the most influential centre forward we have ever had, but in my opinion was a playmaker up front and not a 'target man'. Bill Garner would get my vote for this role.

Ian Benjamin was probably the most influential centre forward we have ever had, but in my opinion was a playmaker up front and not a 'target man'. Bill Garner would get my vote for this role.

Hmmm. I would argue that he was a targetman in the sense play was aimed at him. But hey we're splitting hairs.

Don't get me wrong as in my opinion Ian Benjamin was one of our best ever signings and I remember talking to Dave Webb about him who considered Benji to be the main factor in the sides success under him. In my old fashioned way I still consider a target man to be the old fashioned type of centre forward, good in the air and a bulldozer of a man!!!

My thoughts too, the phrase Target man has changed in my mind, in Bills day they were "targets" in the box for wingers to cross from advanced positions to, these days it applied more to targets from a deeper area .
The difference being old school would be playing facing goal, the modern Target man is more likely to be a back to goal player

Hmmm. I would argue that he was a targetman in the sense play was aimed at him. But hey we're splitting hairs.

Would agree with Napster here. Players like Angell and Ansah played off Benji, with him being the focal point of the attack. Hence, he would be the "target man" of the Webb promotion era...

Don't get me wrong as in my opinion Ian Benjamin was one of our best ever signings and I remember talking to Dave Webb about him who considered Benji to be the main factor in the sides success under him. In my old fashioned way I still consider a target man to be the old fashioned type of centre forward, good in the air and a bulldozer of a man!!!

I had a great chat with Benji about 10 years ago for the LDV programme. Fascinating stuff. I asked him two standard questions - best player he's played with - Bryan Robson at WBA, best player against - the Argentinian 1978 squad at WBA. Wow.

Best target man I saw play against us in the sense of big bully up front was Micky Evans under Sturrock's Plymouth. The guy was a monster.

[h=3]Drewe Broughton has my vote lol[/h]
Some of my favorite strikers we've had that i remember

David Crown, Ian Benjiman, Bret Angell Andy Ansah, Roy Mcdonough, Freddy Eastwood, Shaun Goater, Stan Collymore

I did see Brett Angell a lot for Southend but was at an age where I didn't really know what a targetman was. I just saw this big striker who scored lots of goals. Did he play as a targetman for us?

Barry Corr would be the best player I've seen play that role since then anyway.

Back