• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 1-2 Cambridge Utd

Fair play to Cambridge, I questioned how they were 2nd in the table in the first half but they showed why in the second, they realised the issue was that we were winning everything in the middle so they changed tactic and started playing direct to nullify our pressing style and it we couldn't deal with it. I can't see us going down based off that performance though, we played well and whilst we gave them the space to score their two goals neither was something a weaker team at this level would have been able to produce.

Fair play to Cambridge, I questioned how they were 2nd in the table in the first half but they showed why in the second, they realised the issue was that we were winning everything in the middle so they changed tactic and started playing direct to nullify our pressing style and it we couldn't deal with it. I can't see us going down based off that performance though, we played well and whilst we gave them the space to score their two goals neither was something a weaker team at this level would have been able to produce.
Sounds good but really it was because they had the wind

That was the definition of a game of two halves. We slaughtered them in the first and they slaughtered us a bit more in the second. Still, even if we were mid table or chasing the playoffs, that’s still not a game we would’ve expected to win.

Heartbreaking seeing Barry Corr in his Cambridge clobber standing in their dugout too. Would love it if he was still here in some capacity.

Incredibly frustrating not to get at least a point from that game. Game of two halves yes but we should have been 2/3-0 up at half time if it weren't for Emile not being up to standard. Weather conditions of course helped, Cambridge didn't get close to us in the first half and at half time if you asked someone who were 3rd and 24th in the league they'd have given you an incorrect answer. If I'm honest, I'm still struggling to understand how they find themselves top. We've been beaten by better teams this season. They played the conditions better second half though, stopped trying to pass their way through us and Mullin although he didn't score, was the difference between the two teams tonight. A point a side would have been a fair result.

On the whole, I'm still more annoyed that we didn't put a god awful team like Grimsby to the sword at the weekend than I am about losing tonight (although we deserved a point). Coming in to the game, 23rd vs 3rd should have been seen as a "free hit". The next two home games though become must not loss.

Disappointing result, but we were more than a match for them in the first half. They are a good side, completely nullified our midfield in the second (who would have thought that a couple of months ago!). Paul Clark made a great point - losing to a team near the top is much less an issue than losing the six pointers! We can get out of this, as we are improving weeks on week.

Oxley 6
Bwomono 6
White 6
Halford 6
Hobson 6
Hart 6
Dieng 6
Demetriou 6
McCormack 6
Acquah 6
Akinola 8 MOTM

RHF 7
ANG 5
Taylor 6
Clifford 6

Undone by Cambridge superior clinical finishing, even though we had more goal attempts. Allowing also Akinola had his best game for us and was head and shoulders above the rest tonight. Not too upset, a point would have been nice. A resurgent Mansfield the next visitors, yet another can’t lose game. UTB

If MM believes Acquah is the sort of forward we need he needs his head examining, a out and out striker is needed otherwise this good run we have been on may have come to late. Get rid of Acquah and Goodship as soon as is possible.

Back