• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Accrington Stanley

What's your choice for Saturday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Next up at Roots Hall on Saturday are Accrington Stanley . Described on their web site as the Club that wouldn't die and you have to admit they have done brilliantly to get out of the FL2 swamp and are now in 12th place in FL1.

There the admiration must end because we need a good result against them, ideally three points. So far we have sold a little over 5k home seats so I would imagine 6k total sales will be a good result for the Club. Lots of discussion to be had for this one after the fallout from the Portsmouth game, and if Turner is also out injured then we have very little left in terms of numbers.

Anyway, as usual, opinions, comments, disagreements, team selections and everything else which always makes the pre-match thread worth a visit and a read as the week goes on.

Next up at Roots Hall on Saturday are Accrington Stanley . Described on their web site as the Club that wouldn't die and you have to admit they have done brilliantly to get out of the FL2 swamp and ......

..... were playing on a FL1 swamp yesterday - while it lasted.

Not to add more issues, but Kites is missing, as well.

4-4-2 at home please.

Have been on a bit of a Mantom watch recently and not that impressed to be honest - gets pushed off the ball far too easily for an experienced central midfielder.

Square pegs in square holes, I'd go for:

Oxley

Bwomono White Moore Hendrie

McLaughlin Dieng Hyam Bunn

Cox Robinson

Subs: Bishop, Turner (if fit), Mantom, Yearwood, McCoulsky, Kightley, Hutchinson​

4-4-2 at home please.

Have been on a bit of a Mantom watch recently and not that impressed to be honest - gets pushed off the ball far too easily for an experienced central midfielder.

Oxley

Cox Robinson

Subs: Bishop, Turner (if fit), Mantom, Yearwood, McCoulsky, Kightley, Hutchinson​

That's exactly my choice too @Shrimpergarry

Yep. It's the same for me. Possibly Mantom for Dieng or Hyam. Any two from three in those two central roles

4-4-2 at home please.

Oxley

Cox Robinson

Yeah, tend to agree with that, only possible change would be to put Mantom in for Hyam?

Theo isn’t the best, and I have been critical of him however we don’t have a lot of options and home games demand 2 up top.

4-4-2 at home please.

Have been on a bit of a Mantom wath recently and not that impressed to be honest - gets pushed off the ball far too easily for an experienced central midfielder.

Oxley

Cox Robinson

4-4-2 at home please.

Oxley

Cox Robinson

Completely Agree

IMO we MUST play Theo up front with Cox. We all know it just doesn't work with Cox up front on his own. 4-4-2 at home and why oh why won't OXLEY throw the ball out occasionally. I have seen him do it a couple of times this season and he's got a great throw. His kicking always seems to go to long. I would play Hiam as holding midfielder, as he seems to have a bit more bite than the others. Mantom and Dieng as a play making pair with McLoughlan wide left. Then Cox and Theo up front.
Get Elvis bombing up and down the right. White n Moore as centerhalfs and Hendry as left back.

-------------------------------------OXLEY-----------------------------------
ELVIS-----------------MOORE------------------WHITE --------------HENDRIE
-------------------------------------DIENG------------------------------------
------------------------------------MANTOM---------------------------------
MCLAUGHLIN----------------------COX---------------------------BUNN
...........................................................ROBINSON----------------------------------------

ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK !!!!

Play Dieng deep , protecting the defence , allowing our full backs to attack at every opportunity.
Mantom given the freedom of midfield to spray the ball around using the width , keeping our wingers switching and fluid in their movement. Cox buzzing around and Theo right up on the last defenders shoulder. High press , high tempo , high excitement .

UTB

Back