• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mmmm must say in real time I thought it was outside from my view in the south upper, but watch where the forwards foot lands. It is inside the box, so I think the ref might have got it right afterall.

The ref can only give it as he sees it, but I've tried pausing it just before impact by Bentley and I can't be sure whether it was inside the box or not. Not that it mattered in the end.

The penalty decision looked an absolutely terrible one... by Bentley. What on earth was he doing out there?

The ref got it absolutely, er, spot on, though, looking at the highlights. The contact took place just inside the box.

From this pic, I still think contact was first made outside the box.

image.jpg

From this pic, I still think contact was first made outside the box.

View attachment 3737

I've watched it over and over, and im inclined to agree that the initial contact was definately made outside the box, and therefore should never been awarded a penalty, even after the tackle was made neither Dan or the Barnsley player landed inside the box to suggest that it was that close.

That being said, it is alot closer than it appeared at the time, but what was Bentley thinking making that suicidal run and leading with his leg into a jump tackle like that. He deserved a yellow and was lucky not to get a straight red, i've seen softer ones given than that.

He lead with his leg, because he probably thought it was outside the box. I wouldn't blame him for coming out. When the long ball was initially played, he was the best man to deal with it as the last line of defence.

It's a 50/50 call for me if it was in or out and I felt that at the time.

He lead with his leg, because he probably thought it was outside the box. I wouldn't blame him for coming out. When the long ball was initially played, he was the best man to deal with it as the last line of defence.

It's a 50/50 call for me if it was in or out and I felt that at the time.

to be fair to the man in white, we are split on the on the decision with the benefit of TV replays. He didn't have that benefit so gave what he felt was right. Can't blame him for that.

Can't blame the ref on that, error from Bentley and his team mates dug him out. You can have a go at the ref for mismanaging the players throughout, and the pigs goal was onside, I was right in line

I must admit the pen was a hell of a lot closer than what I first thought sitting in the East black. Still probably not a penalty but I feel some sympathy for the ref especially after giving him a hell of a lot of grief during the game!

Last edited:
Prosser also clearly backs off because he is confident Bentley is going to get there. Error of judgement by Dan, it happens sometimes to the best of them. Fantastic work by Weston for Wordsworth's goal, and also a great cross in that Prosser bundled into the net. Hard to tell with Piggy's disallowed goal, we felt he was onside and I still struggle to understand why the lino kept his flag down while he did all the hard work and then put it up as he shot on goal!

Piggott was onside. We were bang in line with it in the east stand yellows and were staggered when the flag went up.......very late

Piggott was onside. We were bang in line with it in the east stand yellows and were staggered when the flag went up.......very late

Yes I noticed the same....By the way did you see who flicked the header on to Pigott.

Prosser also clearly backs off because he is confident Bentley is going to get there. Error of judgement by Dan, it happens sometimes to the best of them. Fantastic work by Weston for Wordsworth's goal, and also a great cross in that Prosser bundled into the net. Hard to tell with Piggy's disallowed goal, we felt he was onside and I still struggle to understand why the lino kept his flag down while he did all the hard work and then put it up as he shot on goal!

Great play by the often-maligned Weston. Well done lad

We thought that maybe the lino and ref were communicating via the headset for clarification as to whether the ball was flicked on by a Southend or Barnsley player

Back