• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend man101

First XI
bentley white prosser Bolger Coker deegan Leonard Timlin Wozza Mooney/ hunt Piggot

Subs - T smith , rea , Weston , Wordsworth , mooney/hunt , o'niel , williams

1700 Southend fans

Hopefully we can learn from Chesterfield and get a good win against Gillingham. I will go for 2-1 win with Pig and Worrall Scoring.

COYB!

Play a bog standard 4-5-1 for me.

Bentley
White Prosser Bolger Coker
Worrall Leonard Deegan Timlin Atkinson
Pigott

A draw would be a good result.

bentley white prosser Bolger Coker deegan Leonard Timlin Wozza Mooney/ hunt Piggot

Subs - T smith , rea , Weston , Wordsworth , mooney/hunt , o'niel , williams

1700 Southend fans

Hopefully we can learn from Chesterfield and get a good win against Gillingham. I will go for 2-1 win with Pig and Worrall Scoring.

COYB!

It would be good to have that many, but people really don't like going to Gillingham for various reasons.
I thought I had heard we had sold about 850 tickets so far?

The weather forecast will put a lot of people off, standing in the rain in that poor excuse of a stand isn't the most amazing prospect for most people. Myself on the other hand will be there.

As for the team selection, we shouldn't get sucked into making wholesale changes and denting lots of players' confidence just because we lost one game. Especially after playing rather well lately. Winning 6 out of 8 is no mean feat.

I would go for,

Bentley
White, Bolger, Pross, Coker

Deegs
Lenny Tims
Wordsworth
Weston Piggy

I really think this is Wordsworth best position, it's also a position where you don't have to rely on his defending too much, it allows him to express himself further forward. Weston would be playing against his former club and it would be nice for a player to score against his former club rather than a former player coming and scoring against us, which is what normally happens!

One poor game and people want to drop Weston (who was still one of our best players last night) and Wordsworth already but not Timlin who hasn't been great recently. I also think people are being a bit optimistic about the away attendance on Saturday, we may scrape over 1000 but people will be put off by what is easily the worst away end in the league (it really shouldn't matter but each to their own)

I know some won't like it but i think we need to go 451, we were far too open on Tuesday.

Bentley
White Bolger Prosser Coker
Worrall Leonard Deegan Wordsworth Weston
Pigott

Subs: Smith, Rea, Timlin, Atkinson, McLaughlin, Mooney, Williams

The weather forecast will put a lot of people off, standing in the rain in that poor excuse of a stand isn't the most amazing prospect for most people. Myself on the other hand will be there.

As for the team selection, we shouldn't get sucked into making wholesale changes and denting lots of players' confidence just because we lost one game. Especially after playing rather well lately. Winning 6 out of 8 is no mean feat.

I would go for,

Bentley
White, Bolger, Pross, Coker

Deegs
Lenny Tims
Wordsworth
Weston Piggy

I really think this is Wordsworth best position, it's also a position where you don't have to rely on his defending too much, it allows him to express himself further forward. Weston would be playing against his former club and it would be nice for a player to score against his former club rather than a former player coming and scoring against us, which is what normally happens!

I'd agree with the above, let's not throw the diamond in the bin because of one bad result. What this team does give us is some flexibility, we could easily shift to a 4-5-1 if needed with Wordsworth and Weston pulling wide.

If we're going to persist with Wordsworth he needs to be further forward as he offers naff all defensively. Basically I'd say it's a choice between him and Mooney in the 'no 10' role. Whilst it's tough on Mooney I'd personally go with Wordsworth, I do feel this position would allow him to play to his strengths, ie concentrating more on attacking.

Also can we please have Worrall back on the bench, I'm not arguing with him being dropped but to suggest Hurst is going to make more of an impact as a sub when he hasn't produced a decent performance in the last 18 months is ludicrous to the extreme.

It would be good to have that many, but people really don't like going to Gillingham for various reasons.
I thought I had heard we had sold about 850 tickets so far?

On paper it has to be one of the worst away trips in lower league football.

M25 a nightmare, trains expensive for a local journey
Dreadful golf stand for away fans which allows for no atmosphere, despite the rest of the ground having been considerably upgraded at some expense
Strong chance of getting wet
Horrible place, a grim northern town picked up and dumped in the south
Terrible pubs
Strong chance of a sound beating

At least it's only £15. In spite of all the above, I'll be there. I'd take a draw right now.

On paper it has to be one of the worst away trips in lower league football.

M25 a nightmare, trains expensive for a local journey
Dreadful golf stand for away fans which allows for no atmosphere, despite the rest of the ground having been considerably upgraded at some expense
Strong chance of getting wet
Horrible place, a grim northern town picked up and dumped in the south
Terrible pubs
Strong chance of a sound beating

At least it's only £15. In spite of all the above, I'll be there. I'd take a draw right now.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the M25 bridge these days. Can't argue with the rest of it though.

Apparantly roughly just 13 miles in a straight line, so easily our closest away game. Anyone going by boat? :smile:

Just for the sake of a little balance , whilst the Town Centre is grim, Gillingham also hosts some of the richest parts of the UK ( National surveys by wards into wealth and poverty - Wigmore and Hempstead )
Anyway I look forward to joining all my Southend fanatics who will be heading to this wasteland on Saturday. Just for a change instead of a 90 mile round journey I shall slowly waddle down the road, drink in the local club house inside the ground and as in past years, continue to pursue the risk of taking the p..s out of about 60 locals.( With a few Gills mates hopefully covering my back a bit? )
Our biggest problem will be coping with pace at the back, especially with around 5 really quick youngsters flying at us. However Gills club captain is injured ( Lofts ) and there is a doubt over 2 forwards for the Gills. However I am concerned that unless we have another couple of defenders with Lennys pace, we will struggle. Maybe attack could be the best form of defence? Otherwise Phil will more likely pack the defence. Atkinson could help if running around a lot and pressing at pace is needed?

Just for the sake of a little balance , whilst the Town Centre is grim, Gillingham also hosts some of the richest parts of the UK ( National surveys by wards into wealth and poverty - Wigmore and Hempstead )
Anyway I look forward to joining all my Southend fanatics who will be heading to this wasteland on Saturday. Just for a change instead of a 90 mile round journey I shall slowly waddle down the road, drink in the local club house inside the ground and as in past years, continue to pursue the risk of taking the p..s out of about 60 locals.( With a few Gills mates hopefully covering my back a bit? )
Our biggest problem will be coping with pace at the back, especially with around 5 really quick youngsters flying at us.
However Gills club captain is injured ( Lofts ) and there is a doubt over 2 forwards for the Gills. However I am concerned that unless we have another couple of defenders with Lennys pace, we will struggle. Maybe attack could be the best form of defence? Otherwise Phil will more likely pack the defence. Atkinson could help if running around a lot and pressing at pace is needed?

Are you talking about you and your mates having a drink or the team? I'm confused.

Apparantly roughly just 13 miles in a straight line, so easily our closest away game. Anyone going by boat? :smile:

Actually we were very close to going by boat from the pier, as they used to many years back. Wino from the TZ was very interested, the boat holds about 170 people and even has a bar. Unfortunately for us the Pier has an event on this Saturday so is closed from 5:30. They would not allow us to dock in the evening as they are using the trains. I said we could walk but that's not allowed in the dark under H&S. Who Knows it might be possible next year when were both in the championship, so watch this space.

looking forward to my first trip to gillingham ... sort of !
bentley
white bolger prosser coker
worrall leonard deegan weston
wordsworth or mooney
pigott

have to attack to get a goal or 2 then last 20 of desperate defending to keep the heart pumping in the pouring rain and wind thats coming

Back