• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy Sussex was a decent player. Would admit he was slightly disappointing after how he performed at Crewe - but to list him in this thread is incredible. There must be hundreds that qualify as worse signings. Didnt we pay money for Damon Searle?

The winner of this thread has to be someone that cost us a lot of money (either directly or indirectly). I'll go for Peter Clarke. I have no axe to grind with him and thought he was OK...but the fact is we spent a hell of a lot of money on him (he cost us a million, you know :winking:) to do a job and the job wasn't done.

Andy Sussex was a decent player. Would admit he was slightly disappointing after how he performed at Crewe - but to list him in this thread is incredible. There must be hundreds that qualify as worse signings. Didnt we pay money for Damon Searle?.

Probably was a bit harsh on Sussex and to be fair did score the occasional goal -- Guess he should never been given the job of penalty taking ---- Think you named the full back i was thinking of there:winking:

Probably was a bit harsh on Sussex and to be fair did score the occasional goal -- Guess he should never been given the job of penalty taking ---- Think you named the full back i was thinking of there:winking:

Sussex is one of the better penalty-takers we've had.

Was the full-back you're thinking of Martyn Booty? Mark Beard?

Jeroen Boere.

Not much else need be said on the matter, really - pound for pound, Boere is the worst signing we've ever made. Sure, there were players with less ability, but they weren't breaking the bank whilst not giving a shiny sh*t about the club every time they set foot on the pitch.

Jeroen Boere.

Not much else need be said on the matter, really - pound for pound, Boere is the worst signing we've ever made. Sure, there were players with less ability, but they weren't breaking the bank whilst not giving a shiny sh*t about the club every time they set foot on the pitch.

To be fair I'd disagree. I'm sure we've had plenty of players that statement would apply to. (though I take your point he'd be near the top of the list wage wise)

Much as I'd love to dredge up a **** name from our distant past and thereby look like the seasoned shrimper I am, my ability to go much further back than Jabo Ibehre is severely hampered by an overwhelming feeling I have never lost that he was the most useless lump of **** I have ever seen in a Southend shirt. And, since April 1984, I have seen a lot of useless lumps of **** in a Southend shirt. Tony Richards, for one. John Gymer, Keith Dublin, Gary Poole, Paul Byrne, Martyn Booty, Danny Webb, Dominic Iorfa, Trevor FitzPatrick, and yes, Michael Ricketts were all basically crap signings, though none of them particularly expensive if I recall.

Jabo Ibehre was head and shoulders above all of those in terms of sheer, utter waste-of-spaceness. He was the fart in the spacesuit, the **** in the swimming pool, the chocolate teapot, the jelly hammer.

Much as I'd love to dredge up a **** name from our distant past and thereby look like the seasoned shrimper I am, my ability to go much further back than Jabo Ibehre is severely hampered by an overwhelming feeling I have never lost that he was the most useless lump of **** I have ever seen in a Southend shirt. And, since April 1984, I have seen a lot of useless lumps of **** in a Southend shirt. Tony Richards, for one. John Gymer, Keith Dublin, Gary Poole, Paul Byrne, Martyn Booty, Danny Webb, Dominic Iorfa, Trevor FitzPatrick, and yes, Michael Ricketts were all basically crap signings, though none of them particularly expensive if I recall.

Jabo Ibehre was head and shoulders above all of those in terms of sheer, utter waste-of-spaceness. He was the fart in the spacesuit, the **** in the swimming pool, the chocolate teapot, the jelly hammer.

Wrong thread I think, though wholely accurate..wasn't he only on loan?

Gary Poole cost a fair amount IIRC.

Back