• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Totally agree. What is it that needed for that to happen?

The club do a fair amount in that area already. Always working in schools and lots of ticket giveaways etc. The family enclosure is very good value, I can take my two kids to a game for a few quid more than it costs to go alone.

The club do a fair amount in that area already. Always working in schools and lots of ticket giveaways etc. The family enclosure is very good value, I can take my two kids to a game for a few quid more than it costs to go alone.

But what is it that makes your kids want to go again? (apart from you battering them obviously).

But what is it that makes your kids want to go again? (apart from you battering them obviously).

Nothing to be honest, its a football match and if I didnt batter them they wouldnt go, but there's not a lot any club can really do about that.

My daughter does ask to go now and again, my son isn't exactly passionate about going, but Im hoping over time as they get older that will change. I didnt really get into football until I was 8 years old, and even then I remember a match seeming like it dragged on forever when we went!

All the club can really do is make it affordable to be able to take kids so we can brainwash them :), I'm not really sure what else they can do. The Junior Blues is an attempt to engage with kids and a great idea, my two have already been involved in a presentation prior to the last home game which they both really enjoyed. The new stadium will make the whole experience that much better though, and who knows if that will ever get finished.

Nothing, its a football match and if I didnt batter them they wouldnt go, but there's not a lot any club can really do about that.

My daughter does ask to go now and again, my son isnt exactly passionate about going, but Im hoping over time as they get older that will change. I didnt really get into football until I was 8 years old, and even then I remember a match seeming like it dragged on forever when we went!

All the club can really do is make it affordable to be able to take kids so we can brainwash them :), I'm not really sure what else they can do. The new stadium will make the whole experience that much better though, and who knows if that will ever get finished.

That's how we all felt in the last few months of Paul Sturrocks reign!

The point of this "strange thread" is this...

As Mr Stokes will testify, Leyton Orient have been well and truly shafted by the FA, Football League and all and sundry.
We are in the sights of Brady and the Rampant Rabbits, and they are on a mission to try and fill the new ground.
They will take no prisoners, whilst using fair competition as their motto.
The Spam have always been rival for fans attention and loyalty but this ain't the 70's 80's or 90's.
They have a taxpayer funded stadium with a 50k plus capacity to fill, and they have the clout to do it.
They have a Premier League payout next season of over £50 MILLION.
They will use a fair chunk of that to flood our fair county with advertising on every media available, this is a whole new ball game.
Floating Fans in Rayleigh, Wickford, Billericay - just as tempting to travel to Stratford.
MMMmm, Blues v Cambridge or Spam v Chelsea...mmm
Just making a point that this isn't a one off leaflet campaign, it's just the start. And it will head our way.

Let's keep some perspective peeps... West Ham are not moving near us, they are moving nearer to Orient. But both clubs are 30 plus miles away from us and East London only has ever had WHU as the "big" club. It is only in recent years that Dagenham have come into the picture as a league club, giving East London 3 professional teams. Up to the early 2000's, most East Londoners headed out of London to Basildon and Benfleet, putting them firmly in SUFC catchment. They were already WHU fans and their families have probably been brought up to support WHU. I really don't see a problem with WHU appealing to what is part of their market.

Look at other areas of the country and there are many more clubs in a similar catchment area (albeit a far more densely populated one) and teams like Bury, Rochdale, Hartlepool, York, Crewe, Rochdale, Tranmere and Walsall have forever had to cope with "bigger" neighbours Their fight for fans is far greater than ours.

Southend has a decent catchment. The work the club does in the community with kids will do more than most things to ensure a good future following. We have the potential for a regular 15k gate which will happen in a new stadium in the Championship. Our attendances have always been linked to performance, not whether West Ham are plundering our fans.

However, if WHU start getting near the top 6 in the Prem then you can bet our gates will drop off slightly, regardless of how well we are doing.

As Mr Stokes will testify, Leyton Orient have been well and truly shafted by the FA, Football League and all and sundry.
We are in the sights of Brady and the Rampant Rabbits, and they are on a mission to try and fill the new ground.
The Spam have always been rival for fans attention and loyalty but this ain't the 70's 80's or 90's.
They have a taxpayer funded stadium with a 50k plus capacity to fill, and they have the clout to do it.
They will use a fair chunk of that to flood our fair county with advertising on every media available, this is a whole new ball game.
Floating Fans in Rayleigh, Wickford, Billericay - just as tempting to travel to Stratford.
Just making a point that this isn't a one off leaflet campaign, it's just the start. And it will head our way.
100 % agree. I live in wickford. Getting to the olympic stadium is only 10_15 mins further than roots hall and I already have a season ticket for the train. SUFC may do stuff for schools in Southend but they have done nothing in wickford schools for at least 5 years. I think team representatives have visited twice in the last 4 years. I can fully understand why someone in wickford would go to the Olympic stadium to watch football.(but it won't be me)

It has been like that for decades, we even had a West Ham shop in Southend years ago.

Yes it will be easier for Raleigh/Hockley people to get there now, and it will be harder for Benfleet/Leigh etc as well.

As for the money they get from the premier league, most of if not all that will go straight into players pockets.

100 % agree. I live in wickford. Getting to the olympic stadium is only 10_15 mins further than roots hall and I already have a season ticket for the train. SUFC may do stuff for schools in Southend but they have done nothing in wickford schools for at least 5 years. I think team representatives have visited twice in the last 4 years. I can fully understand why someone in wickford would go to the Olympic stadium to watch football.(but it won't be me)

You have to consider what area they can realistically focus on.

Is it worth going into schools in Wickford and beyond when as you say the distance starts to be too competitive with West Ham, or should they focus more on the local area and try to appeal to those residing in the immediate area, which after all is still a big catchment.

Totally agree. What is it that needed for that to happen?

To me it is down to price. I think we target really young kids and families but we should be targetting the 12 to 16 year olds. That's certainly how I got caught back in the day. Cheap tickets for U16s and really promote them to kids looking for something to do on a Saturday.

To me it is down to price. I think we target really young kids and families but we should be targetting the 12 to 16 year olds. That's certainly how I got caught back in the day. Cheap tickets for U16s and really promote them to kids looking for something to do on a Saturday.

Agree with that.

It is good what is done for the little ones, but as I said earlier my kids like going but aren't passionate, that comes later.

That said a junior ticket is only £4 in the family stand or £9 elsewhere. Maybe the latter could be reduced so the teenagers don't have to sit with the little kids, might be more attractive to them. Maybe the South lower could be aimed at older kids.

Yeah the South Lower seems perfect for the job and I know that is where we used to sit/stand at that age. I can't imagine people choosing to sit there otherwise.

Me and the boy catch the train from platform 10 at Stratford (in the shadow of the Hamsters new stadium) to most home games, and will continue to do so. My missus (Wanstead born and a Hammer, along with my youngest) did ask son no.1 if he would consider a cheap (very cheap) family season ticket there. He was most indignant and dismissed it out of hand (never been prouder). Just for the record, hardly any Orient fans live in Leyton these days and many recipients would struggle to read said leaflet.

You are dead right! I wouldn't rule out another Spammers shop in Southend again some day. Spurs have got one in Chelmsford

You have to consider what area they can realistically focus on.

Is it worth going into schools in Wickford and beyond when as you say the distance starts to be too competitive with West Ham, or should they focus more on the local area and try to appeal to those residing in the immediate area, which after all is still a big catchment.

My point was that earlier someone stated (you?) that the club already dos lots in the local schools which implied that they were doing everything they can which clearly is not the case. I understand that they have limited resources. but nothing in 5 years plus is poor IMO.

My point was that earlier someone stated (you?) that the club already dos lots in the local schools which implied that they were doing everything they can which clearly is not the case. I understand that they have limited resources. but nothing in 5 years plus is poor IMO.

Local schools are local, not in Wickford. They are in my kid's school all the time.

They could certainly do more in further areas, but the main focus has to be in Southend and the immediate area, it will be less effective the further out you go, because then you really are trying to compete with West Ham.

Question is how far can they really appeal? Certainly past Basildon/Wickford would be futile.

Serious question.....does it cost more to staff a bigger crowd ie. police, stewards despite the spin off's like programmes, food etc.? Ok so it's short sighted not building a fan base for the future but a lot of things are done incorrectly at this club due to lack of finances, if the net income is higher from having less fans through the door at a higher entry price I can see why that might be club policy ???????? Discuss

You are dead right! I wouldn't rule out another Spammers shop in Southend again some day. Spurs have got one in Chelmsford

Chelmsford Spurs shop closed down about a year ago, small slice of justice.

Serious question.....does it cost more to staff a bigger crowd ie. police, stewards despite the spin off's like programmes, food etc.? Ok so it's short sighted not building a fan base for the future but a lot of things are done incorrectly at this club due to lack of finances, if the net income is higher from having less fans through the door at a higher entry price I can see why that might be club policy ???????? Discuss

Yes it does, but the money you make from extra supporters far outweighs it. If we had average crowds of 8,000 a game we would be in a far better position financially.

No club wants smaller crowds intentionally.

Back