• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Spencer Prior: Southend United must sort their structure before naming new manager

“It’s fine people saying Adam Barrett and Kevin Maher but let’s throw Ian Benjamin in and everyone else who has played for Southend and say they would be great because they know the club,” said Prior.

Nail. On. Head.

This weird myth that just because someone knows the club they automatically have the tactical nous to implement a strategy to win a football match. Its just nonsense.

“It’s fine people saying Adam Barrett and Kevin Maher but let’s throw Ian Benjamin in and everyone else who has played for Southend and say they would be great because they know the club,” said Prior.

Nail. On. Head.

This weird myth that just because someone knows the club they automatically have the tactical nous to implement a strategy to win a football match. Its just nonsense.

When it comes to Adam Barrett and Kevin Maher it’s a completely different ball game! They bleed Southend United and would do anything for the club. Barrett is obviously highly regarded as he is still at Millwall after Harris left, was care taker and acting up as assistant currently. Maher the same as Barrett has managed to stay even though the man who brought him to the club left. He has just finished his UEFA licence with honours. They have both been pretty successful in the early days of their coaching careers.

Ian Benjamin’s last job in management was at Stewarts & Lloyds Corby A.F.C in 2017! The links to Barrett and Maher are totally justified and not weird in the slightest.

Nail. On. Head.

What makes you so sure that Adam Barratt doesn't have the tactical nous?

He is coaching at a championship club. A club he took charge of when they were without a manager. Millwall rate him highly.

Of course it helps if a person doesn't just see southend as a job and actually has an affinity with SUFC.

We had bond in charge. Very little experience in management and less so of the lower leagues.

Waddock, who, though likeable wasn't up to the job.

Chris Powell was experienced and didn't seem to have enough passion to me and didn't seem to get enough respect from the players he signed.

S Campbell. No real experience but a few games with Macclesfield. Also didn't seem to have the fans support or that of the senior pros.

Barratt as a player was very mediocre but he always gave his maximum which made him a strong fans favourite. At the very least, he wouldn't allow players to give anything less than 100%. As a fan, I can live with that.

Nail. On. Head.

That's easy to say when (like Spinner) you don't have any knowledge of how broken down the club is and/or are watching things unfold from Australia.

The atmosphere stinks. The club is a toxic mess. The bond between the playing side of the club and the fanbase is broken. If there is somebody out there who has a link to SUFC and has some of the following: management potential; the requisite coaching badges; at least some experience in the backroom staff of an EFL club; some semblance of man management skills - then I frankly couldn't give a flying **** whether they have "League 2 management experience" or not.

Adam Barrett or Kevin Maher have all the above, and come with an added bonus of galvanising the squad and rebuilding the relationship between club and fans. I don't understand why so many people on here turn their nose up at that.

What makes you so sure that Adam Barratt doesn't have the tactical nous?

He is coaching at a championship club. A club he took charge of when they were without a manager. Millwall rate him highly.

Of course it helps if a person doesn't just see southend as a job and actually has an affinity with SUFC.

We had bond in charge. Very little experience in management and less so of the lower leagues.

Waddock, who, though likeable wasn't up to the job.

Chris Powell was experienced and didn't seem to have enough passion to me and didn't seem to get enough respect from the players he signed.

S Campbell. No real experience but a few games with Macclesfield. Also didn't seem to have the fans support or that of the senior pros.

Barratt as a player was very mediocre but he always gave his maximum which made him a strong fans favourite. At the very least, he wouldn't allow players to give anything less than 100%. As a fan, I can live with that.

I should have worded it better because I do not mean to suggest that Barrett does not have tactical nous. But then again in the same breath no one can conclude that he does have tactical strengths.

I have no issues with wanting Barrett/Maher to be considered for the job but this persistent demand that we have to go with said ex players because they "know the club" is just a weak stance. There is so much more to football than just showing passion. Hence why Roy Keane never cut it as a manager.

Last edited:
There's a lot of focus on Prior mentioning Barrett, Maher, Benji etc. but not much regarding what ge said about the need for structure, a long term approach and a style of play. All very valid points. The club has been drifting, rudderless, into stormy waters for too long and is now taking on huge volumes of water.

I don’t think Spinner was saying Adam or Kev aren’t up to it. He was making the point that just picking another manager will be unlikely to stop the rot unless the club address much broader and deeper structural issues, in a way that will promote stability and continuity. You could bung Alex Ferguson in there and he’ll have a tough time without a coherent club structure around him. Sort that, and if Adam or Kev look like the right fit for that clear structure and strategy - then go for it. Chuck them in without that and they’ve got less chance than a mog at Crufts.

It’s the manager who should be setting the structure, atmosphere and everything else. We need Ron to make his choice very soon in order that that can happen before the start of a new campaign. Hopefully, for a change, it’ll be the right choice this time.

Who is to say that the Toxic atmosphere wont drag down Adam or Kevin? This is exactly the point, the club is in a dire state. Adam is not Superman, you seriously want him to come into this?

Again, I have no doubt they're passionate, no doubt they know the club/fans/culture. But you need so much more than that to win football matches. Not saying Kev/Adam cant implement a philosophy, they could well do, but some posters are claiming they are the be-all and end-all.

Are we really, in these fragile times, going to place all this responsibility on a club legend? To literally gamble our football league status because Adam "Loves the club'

Is it a total gamble. I don't think we will struggle in league 2. I don't think we will set the world alight either but we have cut almost all of the dross away and more importantly stripped the budget right down.

We have a great set on young and hungry players who did not look out of place in league 1. Add some carefully chosen and well placed experienced pros and we will be fine.

What we need to do is stabilise and live within our means for a change.

We should get some very positive news re fossetts soon and that will help lift the mood no end.

What we don't know is will there be a FF bonus ?.If so we cannot afford to throw away what could a once in a lifetime opportunity with another poor appointment.Lets just hope Ron gets it right this time.
If there isn't any financial bonus the choices will be more limited and much harder to sell to the best choices who might not have ties to the club.

Is the job actually advertised ? ,or is it a case of desperate people contacting Ron ,or desperate Ron contacting desperate out of work managers

What we don't know is will there be a FF bonus ?.If so we cannot afford to throw away what could a once in a lifetime opportunity with another poor appointment.Lets just hope Ron gets it right this time.
If there isn't any financial bonus the choices will be more limited and much harder to sell to the best choices who might not have ties to the club.

Is the job actually advertised ? ,or is it a case of desperate people contacting Ron ,or desperate Ron contacting desperate out of work managers

We do know that fossetts is a go. The council have given green light as long as minor adjustments are made. These are already being sorted and good news should be with us in a month or so. Obviously the covid situation has not helped.

I said this a while back when Ron was blaming Powell/Bond for our poor transfer business. At the end of the day in the modern game that excuse doesn't quite wash with me.

Managers are always going to be focused on the short-term since their jobs often don't last beyond a couple years. We need a director of football to keep the club's long-term future in mind and ensure that we have an identity and philosophy to uphold to. Someone to be a link between the youth and the senior team.

Let the coach focus on coaching and get some real experts in who know how to build a squad and manage transfers. That doesn't mean the coach doesn't have a say, it just means that we have a team working together instead of relying solely on the manager to do everything.

Bring back Webb.
Someone like a Webb or Peter Taylor would be the ideal sort of Director of Football (even maybe someone like PB). Focus on long term structures, development, recruitment through the level. Webb and Taylor might be too old (after all you want someone to be taking it on long term). PB might have rather too much baggage. But there will be someone out there.

I wouldn't want Brown anywhere near our club after hearing some of the tales from the likes of Barrett and Mark Phillips.

Definitely agree though that we should look to go down the DOF route.
Spinner has gained a lot of experience since leaving us in a variety of roles. Would love to have him involved.
As much as some people have reservations about old players coming back to the club, one should not overlook the importance of having people involved in a new look structure who are all familiar with the club, each other as well as their beliefs and values.
It all adds up to the club bring far more united and that will get more of the fans onside.

I wouldn't want Brown anywhere near our club after hearing some of the tales from the likes of Barrett and Mark Phillips.

Definitely agree though that we should look to go down the DOF route.
Spinner has gained a lot of experience since leaving us in a variety of roles. Would love to have him involved.
As much as some people have reservations about old players coming back to the club, one should not overlook the importance of having people involved in a new look structure who are all familiar with the club, each other as well as their beliefs and values.
It all adds up to the club bring far more united and that will get more of the fans onside.
Yes agree- in the DoF role you want someone who understands the clubs history and wants to stay around to be part of the future. Someone not on the managerial merry go round now, but knows what its about and probably broader experience outside the club would probably be an advantage. Probably we could all come up with a list of names to direct to death and keep us occupied.

Someone like a Webb or Peter Taylor would be the ideal sort of Director of Football (even maybe someone like PB). Focus on long term structures, development, recruitment through the level. Webb and Taylor might be too old (after all you want someone to be taking it on long term). PB might have rather too much baggage. But there will be someone out there.

How about Webb Snr and Webb Jnr.

Back