• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great move by the BBC last night with their new look presenting team of Gary Lineker, Gabby Logan and Eddie Izzard.

Clear block-voting in Wales to get Leigh Halfpenny into second place.

No Mo Farah or Chris Froome in the top-3. Closest racism?

Halfpenny getting second stinks to high heaven.

Notable also that Gatland gets coach of the year despite Wales's continued failures against the SANZAR nations.

Murray of course a deserving winner, but scandalous that Farah missed out on the top three. TWO WORLD GOLDS!

(Caveat - none of this actually matters of course.)

It didn't vote, but I can't believe Froome and Farrah didn't get in the top three for their achievements in 2013.

McCoy seems to have got the votes on the basis of reaching a career milestone. And as an earlier poster suggested, everyone in Wales must have voted for Halfpenny.

This was a complete joke. As much as I am not a fan of Murray he deserved it on his achievements but how the hell Farah, Froome or Ainslie were not in 2nd or 3rd is a joke. I voted for Farrah and know quite a few that did, doesn't mean the whole of Britain did but with exceptional achievements this year and his huge fan base I thought he was in with a shout.

Never heard of that Halfpenny fella and AP McCoy, he won it 2 years ago I'm surprised he got the votes.

It didn't vote, but I can't believe Froome and Farrah didn't get in the top three for their achievements in 2013.

McCoy seems to have got the votes on the basis of reaching a career milestone. And as an earlier poster suggested, everyone in Wales must have voted for Halfpenny.

To be fair, it's a hell of a milestone.

And Farah, well, athletics to the public only really counts in the olympucs.

Halfpenny - who knows? But no-one remembers second place anyway.

Only just over 700,000 votes in total according to this on Twitter, doesn't seem a lot to me

BT Sports Panel ‏@BTSP1h
#REVEALEDThe total number of votes for each BBC Sports Personality of The Year Award 2013 nominees. pic.twitter.com/AA0OVIX7Ln

Let's be honest it hasn't been the greatest year for sport. The ashes win and Murray's Wimbeldon the highlights. It's another year like when the likes of AP McCoy, Mark Cavendish and Zara Phillips won. They only won because none of the big names did anything that year. Who would ever of thought Cavendish or Phillips would win Sports Personality of the year?

Let's be honest it hasn't been the greatest year for sport. The ashes win and Murray's Wimbeldon the highlights. It's another year like when the likes of AP McCoy, Mark Cavendish and Zara Phillips won. They only won because none of the big names did anything that year. Who would ever of thought Cavendish or Phillips would win Sports Personality of the year?

Horse****.

Mo Farah won two world golds in athletics.
Christine Ohuruogu won one gold and a bronze
Chris Froome won the Tour de France. I do wonder if people think this is 'normal' now British riders have won the last two. It most certainly isn't.

Even if we look at the less sporty sports...

Justin Rose won a golf major, the first Englishman to win the US Open since 1970
Ronnie O'Sullivan wasn't even nominated, despite winning the world title having been away from the table all season
Phil Taylor wasn't nominated either but continued to dominate his sport

And you really can't chuck Cavendish in there with the year that Phillips won. In 2011 he won five TDF stages, became the first Brit ever to win the TDF points classification and won the World Championship.

I think Sir Ben Ainslee's achievement has been hugely unrecognized for the incredible victory that it was; he snatched for the USA the trophy from the very edge of a disaster for them. If Hollywood produced a script like that it would be slammed as being more fictional than Rocky VI.

I think Sir Ben Ainslee's achievement has been hugely unrecognized for the incredible victory that it was; he snatched for the USA the trophy from the very edge of a disaster for them. If Hollywood produced a script like that it would be slammed as being more fictional than Rocky VI.

The problem for him being that it was for the USA....had it been a UK team maybe he would have been better supported in the voting. Personally, I think the voting this year is an absolute travesty. Whilst I dislike Murray, I can see he is a worthy winner, however, it's the other two placings I have issues over.

Horse****.

Mo Farah won two world golds in athletics.
Christine Ohuruogu won one gold and a bronze
Chris Froome won the Tour de France. I do wonder if people think this is 'normal' now British riders have won the last two. It most certainly isn't.

Even if we look at the less sporty sports...

Justin Rose won a golf major, the first Englishman to win the US Open since 1970
Ronnie O'Sullivan wasn't even nominated, despite winning the world title having been away from the table all season
Phil Taylor wasn't nominated either but continued to dominate his sport

And you really can't chuck Cavendish in there with the year that Phillips won. In 2011 he won five TDF stages, became the first Brit ever to win the TDF points classification and won the World Championship.

Agreed, it was a very good year for sport. A bad year for sport was the year Greg Rusedski won for just reaching the US Open final in 1997. Henman came second and Redgrave was third.

In that year we won just 4 individual silvers in the World Athletic Championships. We had no golf major winners, Coultard won two GPs as our best in Formula 1.

In boxing Lennox Lewis was the reigning HWC.

Perhaps some other zoners can point out some highlights from 1997.

Back