• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SS Southend. a sinking ship

Southend Elvis

First XI
We set sail this season on the good ship Southend, from the calm sea of the 1st division, our challenge was to cross the championship sea, a much rougher ocean,than we have been used to. Our crew was added too by a few highly paid seamen, who could help bolster the ranks. The SS Southend was full to the brim with passengers most of whom had paid in advance for the whole journey.
The Captain of the ship guided us all past a few tricky icebergs untill it started, the holes started to appear. Each week the holes got bigger, yet nothing was done, the captain said we will be ok, we'll reach the other side, but the holes kept appearing. The owner could see the holes but he did nothing, all he was concerned with was his new ship that he was building that could carry more passengers.
Then the tiny tug boat from up the A12 with only a couple of paying guests chugged past as the Southend floundered, the smell of the tug was unbearable but it kept on going.
As we speak the SS Southend is dead in the water, and the only hope,is that the owner highers some decent divers who can plug these holes, then maybe we can reach the other side. A few passengers might jump ship before that happens, but the one thing we all know is that if these holes aren't plugged the SS Southend will sink without a trace....

Sink without a trace? A bit melodramatic methinks.

We were never going to cross the Championship sea on the first voyage, our main priority was to take over a port from one of the other ships, and use this as a base for further voyages later.

As things are looking, we'll have to turn to the safety of port league 1, make repairs, and then hopefully set sail again next time around.

As for sinking? That may have nearly happened a couple of years ago when caught in a squall off the foot of the (dire) straits of league 2 which would've sent us up conference creek without a paddle, but thanks to our illustrious skipper, and First Sea Lord R Martin, those days are long behind us!

and i really can't believe I went along with that nautical theme!

Sink without trace?!

That's what we almost did less than ten years ago when the club overall was in a far worse state than it is now. Yes, our current form is awful and, yes, we could do with bringing some ***experienced*** players in to shore up the defence and maybe provide a bit of imagination and spark through the spine of the team. But, sinking without trace? Nah. Nothing like it ...

The Titanic we aren't. We'll make it back to Southend Harbour in one piece. Some new timber to shore up the bow, maybe some new rigging on the mast and we'll be fit for sailing.

And that new hull that should be showing up in a few years'll be handy too.

or put another way....

What we need...

rodney.jpg

and What we've got...

old_boat.jpg

well for us the Championship is defiantly the Bermuda Trangle and we are going to vanish with out a trace.

Interesting theme, Cpn Elvis, but have we captured the Code Books? 'Cos I don't see how else you can say so confidently that

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]yet nothing was done

And

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The owner could see the holes but he did nothing, all he was concerned with was his new ship that he was building that could carry more passengers

If there is one thing that has been clear over the past two seasons, it is that T&B work hard to improve the team (getting Sodje in for example, when no-one on SZ had a clue that we had even learnt to spell his name) and that RM has always backed them up. Once again opinion being touted as hard fact.

Them nasty enemy submarines that fire 3 torpedoes into our hull each week are massing ahead of us. We need to buy some depth charges to keep them at bay.
What will happen if first mate Eastwood abandons ship in January, can we be saved.
One thing is though, if that sh*tty little tug boat from up the way comes back, we will save a broadside for them, at least then we can all go down with our ship with a smile on our faces, you never know we might take that tug boat down with us ... shiver me timbers ( Don't know what that means )

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Nov. 04 2006,21:31)]Sink without a trace? A bit melodramatic methinks.

We were never going to cross the Championship sea on the first voyage, our main priority was to take over a port from one of the other ships, and use this as a base for further voyages later.

As things are looking, we'll have to turn to the safety of port league 1, make repairs, and then hopefully set sail again next time around.

As for sinking? That may have nearly happened a couple of years ago when caught in a squall off the foot of the (dire) straits of league 2 which would've sent us up conference creek without a paddle, but thanks to our illustrious skipper, and First Sea Lord R Martin, those days are long behind us!

and i really can't believe I went along with that nautical theme!
It takes our minds off another defeat me lad, when I said sinking we would in the Championship sea, we might stay a float in shallow waters of league one, you lilly livered vermin, you'll be on a charge soon , cat o nine tales me thinks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Nov. 05 2006,08:05)]What will happen if first mate Eastwood abandons ship in January, can we be saved.
Most probably. Matt Harrold has a better games-per-goal ratio at the moment; maybe he is the one who take over Eastwood crown if (when) he does depart for pastures new? That said, I can't believe people are still considering Southend United as a one-man team. Eastwood? Flahavan? Barratt? Maher?! They are a football team. Responsibility for our current position should be accepted as a team.

But then again we're in this sh!te together - the players and the fans - and it's up to us all to work together to try and lift ourselves away from trouble. But that, it would seem, would only happen in an ideal world. This is not an ideal world.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 05 2006,08:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southend Elvis @ Nov. 05 2006,08:05)]What will happen if first mate Eastwood abandons ship in January, can we be saved.
Most probably. Matt Harrold has a better games-per-goal ratio at the moment; maybe he is the one who take over Eastwood crown if (when) he does depart for pastures new? That said, I can't believe people are still considering Southend United as a one-man team. Eastwood? Flahavan? Barratt? Maher?! They are a football team. Responsibility for our current position should be accepted as a team.

But then again we're in this sh!te together - the players and the fans - and it's up to us all to work together to try and lift ourselves away from trouble. But that, it would seem, would only happen in an ideal world. This is not an ideal world.
What has always interested me is when the Team play away and we are losing the fans dont moan they sing louder to get behind the team.At home there is just deadly silence punctuated with moans and groans and calls for Tilson to do something. I agree with XS on this one it is up to ALL of us to get behind the team when we are struggling thats when they need us most.

The only time i heard groans about steve to change things was at home to hull when they went down to ten men and we still stuck to six defenders on the pitch with a team at the bottom of the league...and we only sing when were winning

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GodblessArthurRowley @ Nov. 05 2006,09:48)]I agree with XS on this one it is up to ALL of us to get behind the team when we are struggling thats when they need us most.
Unfortunately out of the 8000+ supporters at the game, only a tiny minority log onto this board, many of whom are exiles and can't attend regularly.

I think the "all" refers to everyone who claims to support Southend United. Being a supporter of a football team is all about being able to take the rough with the smooth. One of the definitions of the word "support" is to 'help, encourage'; this is our primary role as the supporter of Southend United, especially those who are lucky enough to be able to attend games on a regular basis. Those people (and you can't call them "supporters") who are unable to take the bad times with the same enthusiasm as those that are good are those same people who won't be around if and when it all goes tits up. It's no secret that attendances fluctuate in relation to the performance of the team; those people who have jumped on the bandwagon in recent years will leap off it as quickly as they shoulder-barged onto it if the Shrimpers get relegated at the end of the season. They are not supporters. The real supporters are those who will turn out week and week, home and away if they could, and lend their support to the team, no matter what is happening on the pitch, no matter how similar to headless foul they are looking at that moment. The pub and now online forums are the places to delve deep into the why's and wherefore's, the positives and the negatives; not the stands and terraces ...

Back