• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

colu_boy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03cpfdx About 34 minutes in.......

Glenn Speller:
Dave's in Pitsea. Dave, what has gone wrong in the last 3 games for your Southend United side?

Dave in Pitsea: Well, I reckon they should've do the old rules, like Stanley Matthews. Right? That's number one the goalkeeper, the backs, number two, three, four and five. Six and seven, eight, nine, and eleven in the middle. And that's the only way they can get out of it. They've got... it's the backs' fault. Cos what's happening is they're not using the backs at all. And the way forward for Phil Brown's team, that's what they need to do, it's the old fashioned way, the Stanley Matthews way. I mean, there's... I said, you've gotta use number one the goalkeeper, then er, number two, number three, number four and five, six and seven, still the backs, six and seven, then the forward, eight, nine and ten, and then put the eleven one on the spot. And then what they gotta do is, the backs can help out and put the forwards forward. You understand what I mean?

Glenn: I do understand perfectly what you mean in terms of formation and in terms of the way of going about things. It's alarming, isn't it - the number of goals that Southend have conceded, bearing in mind the manager prides himself so much, having been a defender himself, on this clean sheet mentality.

Dave: Yeah, I'm not downing him, Phil Brown, he's a good manager. He's the best one I've ever seen at Southend. But I mean, what's happening at the moment, it's the backs. They're all over the place. I've been watching these kids teams on the Sunday morning. I tell ya what, I've seen better kids teams play better. It's just like I said, you want number one, goalkeeper. Then the number two back. Then the number three back. Then the number four back. And five back. Then have the middle ones in the middle, six and seven as the backs. Then the forwards, eight, nine and ten, and leave number eleven in the middle so he can do the wings and that. That's the only way you're gonna win.

Glenn Speller: We'll wait and see, thanks for calling us Dave.

What a nutter!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03cpfdx About 34 minutes in.......

Glenn Speller:
Dave's in Pitsea. Dave, what has gone wrong in the last 3 games for your Southend United side?

Dave in Pitsea: Well, I reckon they should've do the old rules, like Stanley Matthews. Right? That's number one the goalkeeper, the backs, number two, three, four and five. Six and seven, eight, nine, and eleven in the middle. And that's the only way they can get out of it. They've got... it's the backs' fault. Cos what's happening is they're not using the backs at all. And the way forward for Phil Brown's team, that's what they need to do, it's the old fashioned way, the Stanley Matthews way. I mean, there's... I said, you've gotta use number one the goalkeeper, then er, number two, number three, number four and five, six and seven, still the backs, six and seven, then the forward, eight, nine and ten, and then put the eleven one on the spot. And then what they gotta do is, the backs can help out and put the forwards forward. You understand what I mean?

Glenn: I do understand perfectly what you mean in terms of formation and in terms of the way of going about things. It's alarming, isn't it - the number of goals that Southend have conceded, bearing in mind the manager prides himself so much, having been a defender himself, on this clean sheet mentality.

Dave: Yeah, I'm not downing him, Phil Brown, he's a good manager. He's the best one I've ever seen at Southend. But I mean, what's happening at the moment, it's the backs. They're all over the place. I've been watching these kids teams on the Sunday morning. I tell ya what, I've seen better kids teams play better. It's just like I said, you want number one, goalkeeper. Then the number two back. Then the number three back. Then the number four back. And five back. Then have the middle ones in the middle, six and seven as the backs. Then the forwards, eight, nine and ten, and leave number eleven in the middle so he can do the wings and that. That's the only way you're gonna win.

Glenn Speller: We'll wait and see, thanks for calling us Dave.

What a nutter!

Brilliant. :thumbsup:

Stanley Matthew formation was the old W formation
2 3 at the back FULL backs
456 in front of them HALF backs
7 11 Wing forwards and 8 & 10 Inside forwards and 9 Centre forward

God forbid anyone line up like that these days at best its a 253. Maybe even a 235 !

I remember listening to that interview live on the radio on Saturday evening after the game..... I thought Dave was a legend, he certainly brought a small smile to my face (abeit breifly).... There is also a nice piece about team mentality from Clarkey drawing on his own playing experience back in the days.... its about 47 minutes in.

I remember listening to that interview live on the radio on Saturday evening after the game..... I thought Dave was a legend, he certainly brought a small smile to my face (abeit breifly).... There is also a nice piece about team mentality from Clarkey drawing on his own playing experience back in the days.... its about 47 minutes in.

Clark talks sense !

Back