• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilson was fantastic for us and it's one I will never forget. In our Championship season, his poor transfer dealing is the reason why we went down, as we went into Championship without a proper striker and lack of midfielders too. It's when McCormack arrived in late November has almost give us an fighting chances but not enough in end.

Kightly is proving he is more than capable at the level above us with Burton on loan at present, and I wouldn't be against him coming back, nor Hooper. And comments about his father being a pain and demanding him to play are absolute bollox! Why, not because I "heard a source", but because I know him! And I remember pointing out as such to OldBlueLady in a positive way at the time on a PM and getting a nice reposnse to it.

He was more hard on Gary himself at the time and wanting him to prove himself, shoot more and get more goals, which was the only thing lacking in his overall game at that time, bearing in mind his age and stage of development. In his view and mine at that time, Tilly had more faith in a striker whose career expectation was obvious journeyman, in Harrold, rather than Gary, who had far more to offer in his game, but to break in consistaently seemed to need to score in every game for us he played to get a sniff of a run in the team. Which, unfortunately never happened! Incredible pressure to play under, when Harrold was quite clearly pony at L1 and never going to pull up any trees and could miss penalties a la Luton away and plod along at his one pace best offering very little, but that was good enough to earn a 20 plus straight run in the team.

It was no co-incidence that Gary's best performances were away from Roots Hall in a Blue shirt, and those privilaged enough to be at Bournemouth, when we won 4-1 with the best goal of the game coming from Gary picking the ball up wide right, beating the midfielder then putting the ball to the right past the left back and running around the left side of the full back to collect the ball, before putting the ball on a plate for Tommy Black to easily finish the move off. Ability that Harrold could only dream of, but he ended up with the run in the side delivering err...sweet FA, with Gary going on to Scunthorpe and the rest is history.

I'd have both back in a blink of an eye, if we got up, but the restriction would be wages and budgets, which would probably put both out of reach, taking into account the other teams at that level who would probably be interested.

Last edited:
It was no co-incidence that Gary's best performances were away from Roots Hall in a Blue shirt, and those privilaged enough to be at Bournemouth, when we won 4-1 with the best goal of the game coming from Gary picking the ball up wide right, beating the midfielder then putting the ball to the right past the left back and running around the left side of the full back to collect the ball, before putting the ball on a plate for Tommy Black to easily finish the move off. Ability that Harrold could only dream of, but he ended up with the run in the side delivering err...sweet FA, with Gary going on to Scunthorpe and the rest is history.

I had the pleasure of being at that Bournemouth game and Hooper was absolutely excellent and as you say, scored an excellent goal. If I recall correctly, he only played that day as James Walker had been made unavailable for selection to a heart problem.

when Harrold was quite clearly pony at L1 and never going to pull up any trees and could miss penalties a la Luton away and plod along at his one pace best offering very little,

I didn't know it at the time (as I was at the game) but this missed penalty cost me over £11,000. I had a ridiculous accumulator on about 15 games that weekend and everything came in except our result that day. Found out on the way home and needless to say I wasn't Harrolds biggest fan (didn't like him that much before to be honest) going forward and I have barely included SUFC in a bet ever since.

Stephen McLaughlin and Will Atkinson - They are vital to our promotion push. I can see us getting there when McLaughlin returns with hopefully the same impact and goals he showed prior to his injury. Always rated Kightly at this level. A return with Gary Hooper would be good (next year) - could get a good couple of years out of them who, unfortunately, were both written off by Steve Tilson before their true potential had emerged !

One out of two is not bad maybe Hooper next ?

Back