• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stev Angus on Trial

Stev Angus

Have heard of him. Was with Scunthorpe last season on loan from Cambridge! Why would Cambridge let him go on loan to Scunthorpe anyway??

I have never actually heard of him - anyone got any details on him? personal views etc

Who's Dave Smith?

I presume its not our former manager, so is it a youth team player or Jay's American cousin?

A pretty decent centre half in his time at Cambridge from games I saw against them. Tall, strong and no slouch in the pace department.

I think he had a falling out with the club there last year, hence the loans to Hull and Scunny. I suppose he effectively played in two promotion winning sides last season though, so obviously others rate him.

I can't find out at the moment who it is but I have found two Dave Smith's one a former Macclesfield Town midfielder who is 35 and another at Shelborne.

I seem to remember him playing very well for Scunthorpe in the 0-0 draw at Roots Hall last year. Could be a very good signing and I see from his stats that he was born in Essex, so another local player!

He would give very good competition/back up for Prior/Barrett and Edwards.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 17 2005,13:10)]I can't find out at the moment who it is but I have found two Dave Smith's one a former Macclesfield Town midfielder who is 35 and another at Shelborne.
Hmm, neither sound likely to me.

If its not a youth teamer, I reckon its probably Jay. He is sort of match fitness and Tilly is playing the others who are in need of games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Aug. 17 2005,13:10)]I can't find out at the moment who it is but I have found two Dave Smith's one a former Macclesfield Town midfielder who is 35 and another at Shelborne.
Scriv,

Are you saying you know it's not Jay Smith?

Seems poor form to have the other triallists highlighted and not Dave Smith.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MilkeySUFC @ Aug. 17 2005,13:42)]
[b said:
Scriv,

Are you saying you know it's not Jay Smith?

Seems poor form to have the other triallists highlighted and not Dave Smith.
I just had the team land on my desk by which time I couldn't phone Paul Brush to find out. I researched the others up but the name I had put in front of me was Dave Smith not Jay. As

I can only find two Dave Smith's but not knowing which one it is I didn't want to say the wrong one. I'll see if I can speak to my counterpart at Oxford and find out.

It's Jay Smith, appears the receptionist has written it down wrong.

stev angus would be a good signing, impressed me when he came down with scunthorpe last season

he's a pacey centre half which is what we lack at the moment

I'd love to see how today's reserve line-up would fare against our 1st team from say 2 or 3 seasons ago!

biggrin.gif

would be a good match. Reckon the reserves would pip them

I was wondering why Scunthorpe didn't offer Angus a deal after his loan spell ran out if he was any good.

Couple of possible reasons could be that:

a) Being a southerner, he didn't want a long term move ooop north (he also played for Hull, but again, only short term)

or;

b) Scunthorpe loaned him in as cover for injuries and didn't have room / budget to add him to the squad once the player(s) he was covering were available again.

I could have sworn he scored a blinding goal for Scunny towards the end of last year (a 30+ yard screamer) but perhaps this hit the bar/post or was parried by the GK & tapped in by someone else, as Soccerbase don't list him as having scored.

Think this was either one of the Easter games or the weekend we played Yeovil.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Aug. 17 2005,14:33)]I was wondering why Scunthorpe didn't offer Angus a deal after his loan spell ran out if he was any good.

Couple of possible reasons could be that:

a) Being a southerner, he didn't want a long term move ooop north (he also played for Hull, but again, only short term)

or;

b) Scunthorpe loaned him in as cover for injuries and didn't have room / budget to add him to the squad once the player(s) he was covering were available again.
I was wondering that. I thought he was a pretty decent player. Have Cambridge relased him?? Any one know??

Back