• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm not condemning the fellow but I really don't understand the gambling addiction that affects so many people.
It can't be lack of money in, say, Paul Merson's case (just as an example), so why gamble to that extent? (In his autobiography he says he lost £500,000 in 6 months!)
We all have our obsessions to a degree, but when it costs that much, don't these people just ask themselves "Why am I doing this?". I bet my £2 on Southend games and allow myself £20 for the World Cup and Euro'. What's lost is lost, I don't chase my losses, I bet because it's a bit of fun, adds something to watching a game. When I win I do feel a bit smug so it's not the amount I win, just that I have.

I'm not condemning the fellow but I really don't understand the gambling addiction that affects so many people.
It can't be lack of money in, say, Paul Merson's case (just as an example), so why gamble to that extent? (In his autobiography he says he lost £500,000 in 6 months!)
We all have our obsessions to a degree, but when it costs that much, don't these people just ask themselves "Why am I doing this?". I bet my £2 on Southend games and allow myself £20 for the World Cup and Euro'. What's lost is lost, I don't chase my losses, I bet because it's a bit of fun, adds something to watching a game. When I win I do feel a bit smug so it's not the amount I win, just that I have.

It's an addiction and reason doesn't come into it. It's a form of mental illness where you want that high as much as possible, regardless if it comes from sex, drugs, alcohol, gambling....

The way you do things is certainly the way it should be done, unfortunately some people have addictive personalities. It is a buzz and it is exciting to be in a position where you could win a lot of money and there is the added jeopardy of losing your stake money (which in these cases are considerable!). It's not a lot different from a drug, people know there is a down side after the initial buzz but they love the buzz so much they do it regardless. I think in Merson's case it was replacing one addiction with another.

Back