• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Still not feeling it...

pickledseal

cowboy
Is it just me who is still not into this season?
I've tried but it still doesn't really feel like my club any more.

I know we've had some good results, and some very poor ones. We seem to have a few decent players, but a lot of journeyman who probably won't be here next season.

I've not been motivated to go down to the Hall or even come on here. Normally during a match I'd be in match thread or on Twitter - or on my phone non-stop!

I really wish I was, I'm not a fickle supporter, I've been a season ticket holder on and off for about 20 years. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly and just not sure where the current team fit in.

I haven't written this to get a load of abuse, just wondered if I was alone, and if anyone had a suggestion on how to cure it...

There are already threads dedicated this this kind of feeling! I personally am right into it, me and my son have our season tickets, look forward to every home game.

Its a new era, it came about in a 5hite way no doubt about it, but its sufc and I am totally into it. I still love matchday at the hall I mean what else am i meant to do, dont get too hung up on the whole ron martin circus just go and cheer on the boys in blue

dont get too hung up on the whole ron martin circus just go and cheer on the boys in blue

I DON'T WANT ANY REPLY FROM ME ON HERE TO DESCEND INTO THE USUAL OLD (now tired, as DWB says and I'm sure he'll agree he speaks from the flip side of the coin to me) ARGUMENTS but...

...(& this is in now way a personal response to you Lee) this is why our club is still truly in real danger.

What happens when the Sainsburys cash runs out in February/March 2011?
What happens when we're given notice to leave Roots Hall as a huge plc who've invested a sizeable wad of cash demand their spangly new supermarket is built?
What happens when Sturrock &/or TW & Ron have their first lovers tiff?
What happens when GK is allowed loose in the media slating the "commitment" of certain players?

I could continue with various potential negative scenarios (but I won't).
It's these apathetic attitudes of "all is good, it's still SUFC, we thought we'd lost them but they live to fight another day" that can be argued to be as potentially damaging to the long-term future of this football club as any of the above.

It did seem very strange for a few games with so many changes at RH over the summer.
My suggested cure is get back to the Hall so you can get used to our new player's and enjoy the fact most of them are our's and not even on loan

I DON'T WANT ANY REPLY FROM ME ON HERE TO DESCEND INTO THE USUAL OLD (now tired, as DWB says and I'm sure he'll agree he speaks from the flip side of the coin to me) ARGUMENTS but...

...(& this is in now way a personal response to you Lee) this is why our club is still truly in real danger.

What happens when the Sainsburys cash runs out in February/March 2011?
What happens when we're given notice to leave Roots Hall as a huge plc who've invested a sizeable wad of cash demand their spangly new supermarket is built?
What happens when Sturrock &/or TW & Ron have their first lovers tiff?
What happens when GK is allowed loose in the media slating the "commitment" of certain players?

I could continue with various potential negative scenarios (but I won't).
It's these apathetic attitudes of "all is good, it's still SUFC, we thought we'd lost them but they live to fight another day" that can be argued to be as potentially damaging to the long-term future of this football club as any of the above.

for what its worth I share your views big time, after this season what then? we could be ****ed, but it comes down to this, my son and I love going to see southend play and I'll be damned if any property developer is going to stop us. I have been worried sick about the future of our club but i go to the hall whatever. And the new team are certainly committed to the cause I can not fault any of them on that front.

Is it just me who is still not into this season?
I've tried but it still doesn't really feel like my club any more.

I know we've had some good results, and some very poor ones. We seem to have a few decent players, but a lot of journeyman who probably won't be here next season.

I've not been motivated to go down to the Hall or even come on here. Normally during a match I'd be in match thread or on Twitter - or on my phone non-stop!

I really wish I was, I'm not a fickle supporter, I've been a season ticket holder on and off for about 20 years. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly and just not sure where the current team fit in.

I haven't written this to get a load of abuse, just wondered if I was alone, and if anyone had a suggestion on how to cure it...

Go to some games.

Last year's lot were unlovable, even before things really went downhill the football was dulll and uninspiring. This year's lot have a lot more going for them.

Mohsni is a cult-hero in the making; Simpson and Sturrock play with intelligence that is a true joy to watch; Grant is even better than last year; Hall is like Scannell only not as fat and injury prone and above all we're playing teams who are more mistake prone and what is more lovable than winning?

Go to some games.

Last year's lot were unlovable, even before things really went downhill the football was dulll and uninspiring. This year's lot have a lot more going for them.

Mohsni is a cult-hero in the making; Simpson and Sturrock play with intelligence that is a true joy to watch; Grant is even better than last year; Hall is like Scannell only not as fat and injury prone and above all we're playing teams who are more mistake prone and what is more lovable than winning?

Cheers mate, seems I need to bite the bullet and see what happens.

I know people spoke a lot about this at the start of the season but just wondered if peeps were still feeling this way....

I am more of a Sainsburys support now to be honest.

I've even warmed to Jamie Oliver. He's a bit like Dennis Wise or Robbie savage - the sort of character that is fantastic when he's playing for you but a complete **** when he plays for anyone else.

Go to some games.

Agreed.

Andy - I think going to away games may be a good start. There always seems to be a bit more of a buzz amongst our fans who have travelled even though there are relatively few of us. It's always good fun recognising peeps you've seen before on our travels and initially, you'll know more of them than the team. I too have been thoroughly disenchanted with what's been going on, but ... in a strange kind of way, I'm warming to Sturrock's courage in adversity and how 'his' players have been keen to rejoin him. I only made my first game at the w/e and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing some good battlers - Corr and Mohsni in particular, who had a real zest for it. That seems to be the difference from last year - there feels quite a positive spirit on the pitch and however this season shapes up, well ... it should be interesting.

Last edited:
I have only made it to a couple of games this year, mainly due to other plans which would have been the case whatever was going on at SUFC.

In those two games it has felt surprisingly "fresh". New players, new manager, but more importantly it's beeen really refreshing to see these players actually giving 100% effort. Sometimes things work for them, sometimes they don't but at least they seem committed.

Honestly, it's not as bad as you might think!

It could be worse Andy,the pope could want you for a sunbeam.
Sometimes i dont feel like going to the Berrichonne games,its friday nights and i may be knackered and its a hour drive but when i go i enjoy it.Going to southend games was more about seeing friends than the football,a mixed grill in the railway and the banter that went on.
So get to the hall while you can,roland rat martin is not southend united football club,people like yourself are.

In those two games it has felt surprisingly "fresh". New players, new manager, but more importantly it's beeen really refreshing to see these players actually giving 100% effort. Sometimes things work for them, sometimes they don't but at least they seem committed.

That's certainly how it's been for me so far this year...

There's been a lot of talk on here about the apparent apathy of sections of the support, but last season's bunch of "footballers" produced some of the most apathetic displays I've seen from a Southend side. Yes, it wasn't entirely their fault, but late payments never stopped Bournemouth or Portsmouth succeeding. Obviously there was a lot going on in the background, but that shouldn't excuse what happened, or lack of, on the pitch.

Sturrock's done tremendously well to assemble a team in such a short space of time, and for that he should be commended. Even more so on the flourishing spirit within the camp and getting them together... Just by Easton's blogs you can tell that the team is gelling, with the Frenchies involved just as much, which you certainly couldn't say for the French contingent in our ranks last year.

I'd urge everybody to get down, no matter their opinions on Martin, and give these lads a chance as it's the least they deserve.

Cheers mate, seems I need to bite the bullet and see what happens.

I know people spoke a lot about this at the start of the season but just wondered if peeps were still feeling this way....

I went last night mate and left feeling the same as when i went in, i knew none of the players apart from Granty and other than being surrounded by the Shrimpers faithful it didnt feel like MY Southend United. I dont think your alone but as YB said the only cure is to go and watch and then if you feel the same, support from afar, it makes you no less of a fan of the club because everyone deals with situations differently.

A sentiment that a few people on here could (& should) certainly grasp before shouting their mouths off...

A sentiment that can just as easily be used in the opposite inference you're making...

Just because sections of the crowd are happy to let things go for the moment and embrace the renovation project Sturrock is working on, doesn't make them "apathetic" to the cause of the football club.

Back