• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coker is our best LB and White has been our only RB this season. For CBs, we only have Phillips, Prosser and Thompson and I'm not convinced by Thompson and Phillips doesn't seem match fit most of the time.

Our only other option from the youth team are Auger, Edwards and Banton. Brown said he was disappointed Banton was injured, which meant he could have played last night. Auger has been playing very well in friendlies, but would he replace White at RB? Highly doubt Brown will drop his captain unless he moves him into the middle.

That was our strongest back four.

The problem was more in midfield where there were no defensive-minded players (other than Straker) and no height or aerial ability at set pieces.

When we did so well 2 years ago we had Bilel Mohsni playing left-mid (and Kane Ferdinand in centre-mid), last season when we did well we had Tam Makandawire in centre-mid.

Last night Brown dropped our two tallest players outside the centre-halves, and people wonder why we struggle at set pieces?

Add a Mohsni, Corr and a Leonard or Ferdinand or Mark Bentley and that team doesn't concede five goals.

I would be interested to know how many consecutive games we have actually kept a settled back four, Injuries, form, suspensions and even international call ups have had an impact.

You need to have a settled spine of any team and I doubt whether we have had three games on the bounces where we have kept the same defence throughout

I would be interested to know how many consecutive games we have actually kept a settled back four, Injuries, form, suspensions and even international call ups have had an impact.

You need to have a settled spine of any team and I doubt whether we have had three games on the bounces where we have kept the same defence throughout

Plymouth - White Phillips Prosser Coker W
Yeovil - White Phillips Prosser Bennett L Unenforced
Hartlepool - White Phillips Prosser Coker W (but same as finished previous game)
Northampton - White Thompson Prosser Coker W
Chesterfield - White Thompson Prosser Coker L
Wycombe - White Thompson Prosser Coker L
Morecambe - White Phillips Prosser Coker L
Scunthorpe - Thompson Phillips Prosser Coker L
Bury - White Phillips Prosser Coker D Unenforced
Bristol Rovers -Thompson Phillips Prosser White D
Oxford - White Thompson Prosser Coker W
Dagenham - White Phillips Prosser Coker L

Position changes in blue
Unenforced changes in red
Enforced changes in green

Every time we've kept the defence unchanged we've lost!

Last edited:
Indeed, but two of our better performances. Set pieces anyone?!?!? Despite this stat, I think you know the point that I was getting at :winking:

Crazy how many changes there has been

Indeed, but two of our better performances. Set pieces anyone?!?!? Despite this stat, I think you know the point that I was getting at :winking:

Crazy how many changes there has been

It certainly doesn't help, but the flip side of the coin is that we've essentially only used five defenders all season, so they should at least be aware of each other's games.

Set pieces isn't a defence issue: it's a team issue. We don't defend them well enough as an XI (or as a X as we now have to have one player on the halfway line to keep the moaners quiet).

Not sure why we are pulling the team apart over a cup game when as YB points out we changed the midfield.

Our defence has the 3rd best defence in the league, which is of course not just down to the back 5.

If we concede 4 or 5 in the league in the next week or two I might be worried but last night can be written off.

Our strangest back four would be Nicky Nicolau, Simon Coleman, Mike Lapper and Martyn Booty. Oh, you said strongest.

We don't exactly have much to choose from! Anyone heard anything about Bennett's recovery? If Prosser's suspended and Thompson is away can we not get an emergency loan?

One person has pointed out that our league goals conceded is as good as the top few sides in this division, our problem is our goals scored, just look at the table our problems are up front, Brown is happy to win one nil and sets our team up for that his system does not suite league two ?? Nice passing across the park, but not in the final third.

The problem was more in midfield where there were no defensive-minded players (other than Straker) and no height or aerial ability at set pieces.

Did you go last night? If so please let me know how the midfield were meant to stop the defensive and goalkeeper invidual errors?

The injury to Bennett has really hit us. 5 defenders, Thompson is always away on international and Phillips is injury prone. Doesn't help that Prosser is suspended for a stupid booking last night. Makes me wonder why we got Woodrow when we were in need of a defender?!

Back