• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Ok so we may see a number leave, and there are injuries but just imagine for a minute that everyone is here to stay, everyone is fit. Name your strongest XI + subs.

It's not often we feel so good about our squad, let's revel in it.

I'll kick off with...

.................Morris
Clohessy Mohsni Barker Gilbert
.Johnson Ferdinand Grant Hall
..............Harris Corr

Subs:
Bentley, Phillips, Kalala, Sawyer, Dickinson

Ok so we may see a number leave, and there are injuries but just imagine for a minute that everyone is here to stay, everyone is fit. Name your strongest XI + subs.

I'll kick off with...

.................Morris

Subs:

I'll go with that, other than perhaps swapping Kalala and Ferdinand (who hasn't had a pre-season with the squad) - looks like an epic side compared to last season! Would mean Leonard, Coughlan, Prosser, N'Diaye, Crawford, Sturrock (and all the yoofies) wouldn't even get a place on the bench

How good does it feel to have a massive headache selecting a starting XI.

For me, I would switch Barker back to his original left back slot. I remain unconvinced about Gilly and feel we conceeded too many goals down his side last season. Therefore I would slot Phillips in at centre half, to add more height in the middle. Which is key in League 2 I feel.

I would also put Kalala in ahead of Kane. Just for his experience. And the fact Kane is still raw and has been away for the whole pre-season. Allowing Grant to push on, like he did at the start of the season and bang a few in.

Morris
Clohessy Mohsni Phillips Barker
.Johnson Kalala..Grant Hall

Subs:
Bentley, Gilbert, Ferdinand, Sawyer, Dickinson

Last edited:
Agree with putting Barker at left back and bringing in Phillips, Am tempted to say that Dickinson would be in my side instead of Corr. Kalala/Ferdinand is a case of either but I find it great just to have so many options where the side is not particularly weakened by a few changes!!

.................Morris

Subs:

Agree with this, except I'd have Hall and Johnson the other way round to start with, though maybe swapping throughout the game

I would also like to see barker at lb and phillips in the centre. Phillips was a regular for brentford when charlie macdonald fired them to promotion

Agree with putting Barker at left back and bringing in Phillips, Am tempted to say that Dickinson would be in my side instead of Corr. Kalala/Ferdinand is a case of either but I find it great just to have so many options where the side is not particularly weakened by a few changes!!

Spot on.

Defenders are almost always told to "show their man outside"

With Hall being a left footer, if he is on the right the defender is going to have a real problem, as Hall is going to naturally want to come inside at every available opportunity. Which means it will come down to a battle of sheer pace and trickery. I would put my money on Hall every time in this case.

The same applies to J.Johnson. With the added headache for the defender being this boy is equally as good, with both feet!

Super, super options to have.

I'll kick off with...

.................Morris

Subs:

id go with this apart from swap kane with sawyer. We haven't seen the best of him yet and IMO with a good run in the side, he could be one of our most important players.

take one game at a time ..... for tonight i'd go

MORRIS

CLOHESSEY PHILLIPS BARKER PROSSER

GRANT KALALA HALL

JOHNSON MOHSNI HARRIS

SUBS TO COME ON : LEONARD , SAWYER , ASANTE , N'DIAYE ,CRAWFORD

what would be the benefit in playing mohsni out of position in a game meant to help sort out our best starting eleven ?

I 've gone for Mohsni attacking tonight to replicate our big man up front tactic that is clearly Strurrocks preference... while all our other big men are currently injured. Another main reason is to give Phillips quality match confidence , same for Prosser. --- i really wouldnt trust Bilel at the back without a Coughlin or a Barker alongside shouting at him !
....also the Ipswich game ( and indeed the Dartfod game ) were pretty dull until Bilel went up front.

Not ideal i agree , but for tonight , it would entertain the crowd too !! ( but have Crawford warmed up incase Bilel starts losing it ! )

If going with a 4-4-2:

GK: Morris
RB: Clohessy
CB: Mohsni
CB: Phillips
LB: Barker
LM: Hall
CM: Kalala
CM: Grant
RM: Johnson
ST: Corr
ST: Harris

Bench: Bentley, Prosser, Sawyer, Dickinson, Crawford

But, if we went 4-3-3:

RB: Clohessy
CB: Mohsni
CB: Phillips
LB: Barker
CM: Ferdinand
CM: Grant
CM: Kalala
RW: Harris
ST: Corr
LW: Hall

So easily, we could swap Sawyer in for one of the CM roles, Dickinson for the ST role and Johnson for the LW/RW role. Feels fantastic to have so many decent options, would still like for us to sign a decent LB though, one that can offer real support going forward and defend properly.

GK : G Morris

LB : M Lockwood
RB : R Leonard
CB : B Mohsni
CB : C Barker

ML : R Hall
MC : A Grant
MC : K Ferdinand
MR : J Johnson

ST : R Ricketts
ST : N Harris

Subs :B Corr, M Booty, M James-Lewis, M Phillips, D Bentley

GK : G Morris

LB : M Lockwood
RB : R Leonard
CB : B Mohsni
CB : C Barker

ML : R Hall
MC : A Grant
MC : K Ferdinand
MR : J Johnson

ST : R Ricketts
ST : N Harris

Subs :B Corr, M Booty, M James-Lewis, M Phillips, D Bentley

I'd stay off the pills mate. :stunned:

.................Morris

Subs:

Pretty decent side, is that - have already had a few quid on you to go up this season. A bit dubious about today's signings (the right back who I know nowt about excluded), but if the Harris signing comes off I can't see you being outside the top seven.

With the a few of the forwards injured at the moment, for Hereford I'd revert to a 433. Harris through the middle with Hall and JJ either side. The main reason for this is it will bring the best out of our match winner, Ryan Hall. He's so important to us this season and by playing him in a 3 where he won't have to worry about working back as much means he can concentrate on getting the ball in advanced positions and then he can hurt the opposition.

With the a few of the forwards injured at the moment, for Hereford I'd revert to a 433. Harris through the middle with Hall and JJ either side. The main reason for this is it will bring the best out of our match winner, Ryan Hall. He's so important to us this season and by playing him in a 3 where he won't have to worry about working back as much means he can concentrate on getting the ball in advanced positions and then he can hurt the opposition.

The only problem with this is Harris needs someone to play off of, he's not as good as the central figure.

The only problem with this is Harris needs someone to play off of, he's not as good as the central figure.

You'd need someone pretty forward thinking in behind him - so maybe have JP and Grant 'anchoring' and give Sawyer a free role behind Harris but ensure he stays within close contact of Harris.

Hall and JJ need to make the second man in the middle too when the ball is on the opposite side.

It can work, I wouldnt say Harris is any less mobile than Corr and that worked well last year.

Morris
Grant Ferdinand Koala
Corr Harris Hall

Subs Gilbert, Leonard, Sawyer, Johnson, Dickinson

Morris
Grant Ferdinand Koala
Corr Harris Hall

Subs Gilbert, Leonard, Sawyer, Johnson, Dickinson

2 full backs on the Bench? Not keen on that with only 5 subs.

I'd rather have just Prosser as he can cover a couple and then put Ndiaye on the bench as he is monster - be good away from home or if we are defending high balls late in the game he will be a good option to come on.

Harsh on JJ too, but its going to be like that (hopefully) this season with lots of competition!

Back