• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sturrock and the Conference knowledge - Best thing with done!!!!

sufc1234

Youth Team
Getting sturrock in is the best bit of business we have done all year. Tilson run out of ideas he bought too much rubbish and had little to no contacts. Sturrock has the contacts to rebuild this team.
NOW GET BEHIND RON AND STURROCK AND WE CAN WIN THIS LEAGUE. Also believe sturrock got rid of AB and AM because both simply are not good enough
Steve Tilson lived off Freddy Eastwood end of.

Last edited:
"Sturrock and the conference" - Will that be the headline for next season after relegation?

Getting sturrock in is the best bit of business we have done all year. Tilson run out of ideas he bought too much rubbish and had little to know contacts. Sturrock has the contacts to rebuild this team.
NOW GET BEHIND RON AND STURROCK AND WE CAN WIN THIS LEAGUE. Also believe sturrock got rid of AB and AM because both simply are not good enough

Not the most well put together post in the world, but I agree with you almost entirely.

Just some of my thoughts:

Tilson was a good servant, no a great servant, for the club, but this is clouding the fact that he was not a great manager. His contacts are near non existant, he lost all respect from senior players at the end of last season, and refused to play youth. And when he was given money to spend, he spent is BADLY. And despite what some on here think, he really is not respected in the industry. I mean, 2 relegations in 4 years, when he had the rescources to avoid this?

Freddy was great contributor to our past sucess. Make no mistake about this.

I think Sturrock is an excellent move. He has had 5 promotions, would be 6 promotions if he didn't leave Plymouth for the premiership a few games prior to the end of the season, and has great contacts. Let's not forget this is a team that has been assembled, with Tommy Widderington he's poached as an up and comming young manager/coach.

I know at lot are very angry about Tilson leaving, but I believe there are many out there that also accept his inadequacies, and that Sturrock is probally a much better person to not only sort out a squad in time for the new season, but also a person to quickly get us up the leagues again. Now surely this is just Ron Martin looking out for the best interests of the club?

Not the most well put together post in the world, but I agree with you almost entirely.

Tilson was a good servant, no a great servant, for the club, but this is clouding the fact that he was not a great manager. His contacts are near non existant, he lost all respect from senior players at the end of last season, and refused to play youth. And when he was given money to spend, he spent is BADLY. And despite what some on here think, he really is not respected in the industry. I mean, 2 relegations in 4 years, when he had the rescources to avoid this?

I think Sturrock is an excellent move. He has had 5 promotions, would be 6 promotions if he didn't leave Plymouth for the premiership a few games prior to the end of the season, and has great contacts. Let's not forget this is a team that has been assembled, with Tommy Widderington he's poached as an up and comming young manager/coach.

I know at lot are very angry about Tilson leaving, but I believe there are many out there that also accept his inadequacies, and that Sturrock is probally a much better person to not only sort out a squad in time for the new season, but also a person to quickly get us up the leagues again. Now surely this is just Ron Martin looking out for the best interests of the club?

Thanks it was rushed and not the best structured post but i think you understand where im coming from revell, walker and foran 3 signings that cost the club near on millions for what 10 goals??

I'm not sure how I could disagree with you more.

The contacts arguing was rubbished years ago. We signed players from dozens of Clubs from all over the leagues under Tilson. Please back that claim up.

If the senior players didn't respect him then explain the comments in the Echo from Francis, McCormack and Barrett?

The fact that the likes of Hooper, MacDonald, Paynter and others have gone on to have good careers elsewhere surely means that they are good players and therefore were good signings? That it didn't happen for them here was in each case it's own issue. Tilson isn't blameless in their failures here and I've said since he left that his handling of Gary Hooper was a major mistake but all signings at this level are gambles. Sometimes things just don't work out - look at Sir Alex Ferguson & his handling of Juan Sebastian Veron.

And please clarify how you feel that Tilson had the resources last season when we had one centre-half on the books and spent half the season under a transfer embargo.

I often go to post on this forum but dont bother half the time as people just issue bad rep for minimal comments and also too many people have rose tinted glasses towards certain people.

Firstly an opinion of mine = Tilly is a Southend legend, always will be, he has given us some amazing memories but they are just that, they are memories. We have been on a downward spiral for back to back campaigns now. Yes Tilly has had very trying conditions to work under, but it hasnt always been like this.

I think a fresh start is at the right time, Tilly leaves a legend, we are back where we was when he took over 6/7 years ago. Along the Rollercoaster of a ride, you wont ever take away them great times but realistically is Tilly good enough as a manager?

In the back to back promotion campaigns, we had the Freddy factor. Maher, Gower and Barratt were class and Flavs was awesome. We picked up hardly any injuries and won the league with one of the lowest points total for a league winning side for years.

Tilly had a loyal bunch of players who were 'a team'. Winning (just like losing does) become a habit and we had the momentum. It all started going wrong when Tilly had to inject new blood.

He axed the likes of Bentley, Jupp and Gray when we made the championship (Coulda done jobs even as fringe players) and his replacement signings were nothing short of shocking.....or so we thought. Paynter, Hooper, Kightly, Mcdonald, JCR have all gone on to do much better elsewhere, so to me that says its down to management. You can throw in the likes of Kerrea Gilbert and Sanchez Watt into this equation, talented players who Tilly didnt get anywhere near the best out of.

Then Tilly also held a grudge, despite rumours we will never know what happened after rifts with Maher, Leon Clarke, Freedman, Foran, Revell, Garry Richards...

I am not Tilly bashing as he is a legend as I said, but as he is the local lad done well....its easier to brush his flaws under the carpet a little easier.

Sturrock is a proven manager with great contacts. He has re-built clubs (Playing side) numerous times before, Widdrington is a potential future gaffer in waiting. Lets not punish them - lets get behind them and who knows where we could be come May!!! Play offs, why not... I am hoping that something is in the pipeline, because Paul Sturrock is not a nobody appointment.

Up the Blues, the King is dead...long live the King

So much wrong in that, but Beefy answered most of it.

Tilson did make some terrible signings, Foran the best example. However for a team that has seen the likes of Nicky Bailey and Freddy Eastwood shows he has also made some good ones.

Very easy to label him one way ot another and I certainly believe he had his faults but to say "Tilson was not a great manager" really doesnt make sense when he won promotions, play off finals, got us to cup finals etc.

Im happy for a new refreshing leadership but Tilson is the most successful manager we have had here despite his failings....

Have every intention of getting behind Sturrock and Widderington, and I think it is an excellent move in some respects because Sturrock has proved himself time and again and has got a lot of experience and contacts. I also dont think its fair to blame the new team, but they must have known that Tilson was still there until yesterday, gearing up for the new season...

However, none of this detracts from the way that Tilly and many others, including the fans, have been treated by the club, in particular by Ron Martin. For example, Ron would not have woken up on sunday morning, just decide out of the blue to sack Tilly then get on the phone to Sturrock and Widderington and ask them to pop along to Southend from the South West just to sign a 3 year deal. Or moan for months on end about the size of the players wages, so maybe he figured that by not paying them was the best way to get them out...??

The whole thing stinks. I was disgusted when Chelsea did this to Ranieri when they appointed Mourhinio, and I though this sort of disgraceful behaviour was limited to the Premiership, where loyalty and integrity appear to have gone missing. I thought we, as a club, were better than that. This has been weeks, maybe months in planning, so why let everyone, including Tilly himself, think that an extension to his remaining year on his contract was imminent... if RM really had any integrity, and had any regard for his staff and his stakeholders he would have done this very differently.

I'm not going into the whys and wherefores of Tilly's ability as a manager, because he had several successes, as an inexperienced young manager he also made mistakes, and I think a lot of the decline has been down to factors outside his control. Its pretty obvious now that there has been a clandestine campaign going on to get Tilly to walk. I suspect thats is why Revs was treated as he was, Brushy got sacked and no-one was being replaced. If Tilly left of his own accord, Ron could cast him as deserting a sinking ship; but I suspect that he has Sturrock lined up for a while and with pre-season training about to start and Tilly hadnt walked, Ron needed him gone so he could get Sturrock in place.

In any other business, anyone treated like this could claim constructive dismissal and create all sorts of havoc. By Tilly being "on gardening leave", clearly he is still contracted, and therefore cant spill the beans to the press, or anyone else. His best hope is getting himself a new job, do really well, and when the time arises, make sure that his side of the story comes out. I'm sure he has some tales to tell that will show exactly what sort of charater Ron is...

I really dont think that Ron is a suitable custodian of our club, if he can treat anyone like this. I really dont know why he cant just be honest.

Getting sturrock in is the best bit of business we have done all year. Tilson run out of ideas he bought too much rubbish and had little to no contacts. Sturrock has the contacts to rebuild this team.

you are a knob mate

And when he was given money to spend, he spent is BADLY. And despite what some on here think, he really is not respected in the industry. I mean, 2 relegations in 4 years, when he had the rescources to avoid this?

No he hasnt always spent badly infact if you look at player sales and player purchases i guarantee that we have had more money coming in than we have had going out.

What chairman wouldnt want that ?

Yes he has brought a few poor players , but you mentioning revell paynter etc is ridiculous. If you look at tilly's signings that have been relatively decent. I didnt see anyone slating him when he signed freddy for 50k or the goat for nothing. I didnt see anyone slating him when spinner and sodje where signed for nothing and formed one of the best defensive partnerships we have had.

As a relatively small club angling for the championship we had to take gambles on the likes of foran and ricketts because no one wanted to come here for the money we were willing to pay.

Freedman by all accounts had been exceptional at leeds prior to joining us , but got injured so you could say tilly has been unlucky also.

We signed barnard for 25k and he was a great signing. We had to let him go for cheap because ron ****ed the club so how he has the cheek to say that tilly hasnt moved enough money coming in from player sales is a **** take. Barnard is a 350-500k player all day long.

Those who are championing Sturrock as some kind of messiah should speak wisely . Tilly may have made mistakes and may have been tactically inadequate at times , but he was our Tilly something scottish sturrock will never be and when he was successfull at plymouth he upped sticks before the end of the season when a better offer came along.

Its been a sad sad few days for me personally and it will be even sadder when Tilly is working as manager elsewhere.

Back