• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I can't belive all of you who think this is OK!
The single biggest signing the club can make during the window is an assistant manager. Sturrock has spoken recently about 'freshening things up' - surely this must include the coaching side of things. Do any of you watching Grandad Coughlan (Turns slower than milk) really think he's got the tactical nous to stand on the touchline with Strachan and coach them. He's a one dimensional old school hoofball centre-back.
we desperatle need someone who can COACH this team. The current tactics are wrong and so is team selection. We have 2 wide players who cant cross and cant score (although youmg Hall is a good prospect given time and coaching). Widdrington clearly wasn't the answer and seemed to spend all the time berating the players, but a good coach / number 2 must be a priority.
Strachan is not a well man... how about a good promising number 2 to come in with a view to taking over in a year or so, under the guidance of Sturrock?
I have no problem with Ricky Duncan being asked to be coach, failing that someone from outside, but for me a coach now is 100% more important than any one new player.
So taking your premis that Coughlan won't coach properly because he's a slow centre half,Wenger,Mourinho,Benitez and Ferguson must be useless because they never played at a top level and none of them were skilful players.
Totally ridiculous.

So taking your premis that Coughlan won't coach properly because he's a slow centre half,Wenger,Mourinho,Benitez and Ferguson must be useless because they never played at a top level and none of them were skilful players.
Totally ridiculous.

You do not need to be a coach at League 2 level. A Blue Peter badge is sufficient. Tactical nous counts for little when coaching players of limited tactical ability. It is all about motivation. If the players are fired up then you will see the best of them.

You do not need to be a coach at League 2 level. A Blue Peter badge is sufficient. Tactical nous counts for little when coaching players of limited tactical ability. It is all about motivation. If the players are fired up then you will see the best of them.

The players aren't necessarily of limited tactical ability. Have a look at what the Oxford fans were saying about us, how we looked a really organised team. That's exactly what we were saying about the Plymouth teams Sturrock brought to Roots Hall. Now that could be a coincidence, or Sturrock could actually know what he's doing and he might be trying to sign players who can play the systems he wants to play.

Some players respond to a kick up the backside, others need an arm round their shoulder there's no one size fits all solution. In the same way some lower league players are actually tactically good - like the manager's son.

Coughlan is slower now I am sure- if he was 5 years younger he would not be playing L2 he would be in the Championship. He has a good pedigree and the players respect him. PS we are told takes all training, has missed nothing, and I think its unfair to refer to his mild medical condition. He says its not affecting and that is backed up by all the evidence I can see. I rather suspect it was his 'condition' that enabled us to get him as manager- hard truth is he would not be managing potless Southend in L2 otherwise as with his record a number of L1 clubs would surely have been interested.

The players aren't necessarily of limited tactical ability. Have a look at what the Oxford fans were saying about us, how we looked a really organised team. That's exactly what we were saying about the Plymouth teams Sturrock brought to Roots Hall. Now that could be a coincidence, or Sturrock could actually know what he's doing and he might be trying to sign players who can play the systems he wants to play.

Some players respond to a kick up the backside, others need an arm round their shoulder there's no one size fits all solution. In the same way some lower league players are actually tactically good - like the manager's son.

Kick up the backside or arm around shoulder is motivation. As for 'really organised team', at this level it means keeping the teams shape. All well and good but it also makes a side predictable for marking and the moves always start from the same positions. Shape is a basic not a tactic. If they were capable of breaking shape, covering each other and making moves that are unpredictable then it would be tactical. As for Sturrock jr being tactically good I agree he has something about him above the average of the team in terms of nous but he is still limited and that says very little for the rest of the side. Heart is what matters and if then, by luck, you get a couple of gems in the side like Eastwood and Gower, it lifts the capability above other sides in the league.

Back