• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

CC51DAS

President
So once we got past his bid to present Gardeners' World, he sounded (if I could follow the accent ) pretty worried about the situation , especially as we can't compete financially with Conference sides thesedays.

He pretty much accepted we were manure today and unfortunately I'm not referring to the team we could once beat.

If he continues to be this frank, how long before he and Martin head for a major bust-up. I mean, (to keep the gardening connection), Sturrock is hardly a shrinking violet is he ?

Didn't sound like he was blaming Ron today, he understood the financial situation when he got here, and he was just pointing out to the angry fans that we can't afford strikers, so get used to it. The main point I got from it was that Sturrock sounded like he was considering dropping Mohsni, which I think is the right move

Well we've got four strikers on the books, 3 of which are not named Sturrock. People used to have a go at Tilson for late substitutions leaving players with hardly any time to influence a match so how about giving some of the other strikers a go?

Didn't sound like he was blaming Ron today, he understood the financial situation when he got here, and he was just pointing out to the angry fans that we can't afford strikers, so get used to it. The main point I got from it was that Sturrock sounded like he was considering dropping Mohsni, which I think is the right move

OK, but do you think Ron will appreciate him telling a wider audience that we can't afford to compete with teams in the League below us (and Morecambe) ? Normally he likes to weed out this type of comment

Just received the SMS comment from Sturrock: "We knew this was not going to be a bed of roses but I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. We won lots of corners today."

I can only hope he's being joking :unsure:

I know people whinged about Tilly's post-match interviews, but being honest, they weren't as bad as Sturrock's today. It was a full 5 minutes of incoherent rambling

OK, but do you think Ron will appreciate him telling a wider audience that we can't afford to compete with teams in the League below us (and Morecambe) ? Normally he likes to weed out this type of comment
Probably not, but I don't think ron is going to anger the one thing keeping the fans happy over something that trivial (I hope :unsure:)

Didn't Ron say we would have one of the largest wage bills in the league...or was he counting personal expenses in that.

Well we've got four strikers on the books, 3 of which are not named Sturrock. People used to have a go at Tilson for late substitutions leaving players with hardly any time to influence a match so how about giving some of the other strikers a go?

Exactly, would like that question to be asked of PS and his viewpoint on why they are not getting a chance, in a team that is clearly lacking striking ability?
We don't need to buy strikers, we just need better team selection - imo.

Just received the SMS comment from Sturrock: "We knew this was not going to be a bed of roses but I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. We won lots of corners today."

I can only hope he's being joking :unsure:

Lol that is classic.

I know people whinged about Tilly's post-match interviews, but being honest, they weren't as bad as Sturrock's today. It was a full 5 minutes of incoherent rambling

I couldn't give two ***** about the post-match interviews as long as we get 3 points to be honest

Now i wasn't there today so can't make a proper comment but scoring two goals at home would usually get you at least a point and should get you a win. It doesn't seem (to me) that the strikers or playing his son is our problem?

Now i wasn't there today so can't make a proper comment but scoring two goals at home would usually get you at least a point and should get you a win. It doesn't seem (to me) that the strikers or playing his son is our problem?

Also true and I wasn't there either. Just making the point that if people feel that strikers are the problem we have options already at the club.

No, as at Northampton our problem was defending. Thats what cost us the game.

And as for having no money for strikers thats nothing to be worried about as no clubs in this division have money to spend.

You are correct we were also poor defenisvely, as we were last week.
But, Morecambe were there for the taking and with Corr/Sturrock up front together we are never going to scare anyone.
A more natural striker up front alongside one of our two average target men would have taken them to the cleaners.
If it was'nt for Grant this season we would be in worse shape.

I would pick Corr and Spencer up front, cos Sturrock and Corr up front together is not good enough, Corr skills is wasted with Strurrock up front, we need a quick forward like Spencer alongside him!

It certainly feels tonight that the 'green shoots of recovery' are a long way off. I like Sturrock's down to earth talking and I hope that he can dig us out of this hole we currently find ourselves in very soon as it could be a long, fallow winter ahead. The young seedlings like Mohsni have a lot to learn - let's hope some of the old s*ds like Coughlan can help them grow into flowers of beauty in an eventual season of fertile harvesting. Oo-arr! :tumbleweed:

Didn't Ron say we would have one of the largest wage bills in the league...or was he counting personal expenses in that.

Well if we're tied in with with Sainsbury's then I would imagine thats quite a few employees so technically he's correct.

With this being the case Sturrock should start scouting round the stores for a good striker rather than hopping over to France and Belgium.

It certainly feels tonight that the 'green shoots of recovery' are a long way off. I like Sturrock's down to earth talking and I hope that he can dig us out of this hole we currently find ourselves in very soon as it could be a long, fallow winter ahead. The young seedlings like Mohsni have a lot to learn - let's hope some of the old s*ds like Coughlan can help them grow into flowers of beauty in an eventual season of fertile harvesting. Oo-arr! :tumbleweed:

:D

Button a serious note are you trying to tell us its not going to be a bed of roses this season? Sounds like Sturrock's going to have to start pulling up trees soon

The Southend garden needs weeding, as there is too much manure on the field at present, Farmer Sturrock needs new seeds but the Evil Landowner won't supply the goods... he's only interested in selling the land to gypo's to camp on.

Back