• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC in the press.

Southend currently have five on-loan players in a group of just twenty. Maths has never been my forte, but that makes a quarter of Steve Tilson’s squad temporary acquisitions, ones who – by no fault of their own – have no inherent loyalties to the club..

A fair point but against Brentford we only intended to play two loanees, and no one can question Baldwins dedication to our cause. Unfortunately Barrett couldnt play and Mvoto was drafted in, but how is that a bad thing we had a replacement?

One disgruntled fan piped up and said he would rather see Southend in the conference with local players or those developed through the club’s youth system, than have a squad littered with loanees playing in a decent league.

What total fool said that?

I for one hope – irrespective of relegation – they are still around next season and, once this has been negotiated, are able to put out a side that plays for the supporters and sends them away satisfied; happy in the knowledge they have put in a shift and stood for the values the club represents.

I'd settle for this!

The point about loan players having no inherent loyalty to a club can also be directed towards contracted players. We all know that players under contract can easily manouevre their way out of a contract if a player so desires. Sadly there isn't much loyalty in football and life in general these days.

The point about loan players having no inherent loyalty to a club can also be directed towards contracted players. We all know that players under contract can easily manouevre their way out of a contract if a player so desires. Sadly there isn't much loyalty in football and life in general these days.

Its pretty obvious that a loanee who will return to his own club is less likely than a player here to stay, however what about players who are in the shop window?

No one could question Pat Baldwins commitment, he looks more fired up than half our team.

Its pretty obvious that a loanee who will return to his own club is less likely than a player here to stay, however what about players who are in the shop window?

No one could question Pat Baldwins commitment, he looks more fired up than half our team.

That isn't always the case, Lee Sawyer being a good example, went back to Chelsea, got released went to Barnet got shown the door.

I agree about Baldwin and I'd say the loan players we've had have all tried their best, whether they are good enough is another issue.

That isn't always the case, Lee Sawyer being a good example, went back to Chelsea, got released went to Barnet got shown the door.

I agree about Baldwin and I'd say the loan players we've had have all tried their best, whether they are good enough is another issue.

No I totally agree, you cant expect the same level of commitment from loaness in general.

however the ones that dont behave like Sawyer and Leon Clarke get shown the door pretty sharpish.

I think the bigger issue with lots of loanees is more to do with consistency and having a settled side. As the article says we have had 35 players this season and that cant help. We only really had a settled squad from January.

Back