• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brian Fantana

The Council certainly seem to think so. Good to have ambition!

"The city's sporting heritage has been enhanced by state of the art swimming and diving facilities at Garon Park, the Essex Cricket Centre of Excellence and the new premier-league stadium for Southend United"

Click here

There's more chance of the "Premier League" Stadium than Southend gaining City status though. And that's saying something!

Last edited:
If the ground does get built, which it might be these are the chain of events.

this season - promotion to League 1.
next season - promotion to the Championship
season after - new ground open and playing in the Championship 16,000 crowds + each week - Promotion to the Premiership.
season after that - Premiership season...

Yes?
No!

I think they are talking about a premier league stadium, not a premier league football team but like Mick, they lost me at the iconic citadel bit.

ps 2017 - why then? Is that how long they think it's going to take us to build the stadium?

I have to say the whole article is in the type of local government new speak (aka ********) that must drive every ratepayer completely bonkers. Am I alone in feeling that I am personally paying for the nutter who wrote it. BTW Southend is not a city either.
But there are plans approved for a stadium which would meet premiership standards. Whether it will be built is of course a moot point.

Sorry about the spelling but while I am in rant mode, why are we just about to waste 30 million on a new library whether it's part of Essex uni or not we are paying for it.
Must go and lie down now.

Sorry about the spelling but while I am in rant mode, why are we just about to waste 30 million on a new library whether it's part of Essex uni or not we are paying for it.
Must go and lie down now.

A new library? What a terrible thing. Sounds like quite a good idea to me, it might improve the grammatical quality of much of the semi-literate drivel that gets posted on here.

Back