• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours SUFC up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternatively, if he cancels, send him the questions we wish to be answered and give him a deadline to answer them.

Saying there probably won't be a meeting isn't good enough.

We are glad he is going to sell up, but not all the details are clear surrounding the current position and whether he or we like it, he is still currently responsible for the club and accountable.
Is he? Why has Martin Dawn no longer got a controlling interest in SEL?

People worried about ‘club now, stadium later’ - just my 2 cents…

Ron has maintained a bunker mentality for as long as we can remember. Today’s announcement is a sign he’s out of road. He can’t go on any longer. If the club goes best or into admin he presumably gets nothing.

He wants as much as much £ as possible. Who wouldn’t? He’s talking in terms of this being a ‘sellers market’ when it absolutely isn’t. Southend is a basket case club, possibly on the brink of bankruptcy. This is no secret - we’ve made national news!

With FF comes housing and that’s where the true £££ is. But no Southend United, no stadium, possibly no development at all. A buyer with any sense will realise this. They should have RM over a barrel in terms of negotiating ‘favourable terms’

Credit where it’s due, the agents Ron has appointed to sell the club are very good at what they do. There are some realities to face - several people could get very rich, and Southend could have a fantastic financial footing on top of the extraordinary potential. Interesting to compare Southend and Plymouth (near where I live). Plymouth has a significant fan base, but its location consistently holds it back. Southend is very well located both for investors and players and is at rock bottom. On favourable terms for all it could be a bargain.

I guess this probably comes across as overly-optimistic. But money talks, and everyone stands to benefit from a sale on favourable terms. It’s a good day - let’s all enjoy it and face reality down the line 😀

I understand people's anger at the lack of specific information, but everyone's been shouting, 'Martin Out' for months/years now.

He comes out and says, 'I'm selling the club and possibly the stadium at a short price'

And some of you are still fuming with anger...
I think the point is that he HASN'T said he will sell. He's "exploring" the issue and hedging what he says with as many caveats as he can.

It looks and smells whiffy, which is why I think people are concerned. Especially as some people are falling for it, if Twitter is to be believed.

Just out of interest how much would the initial Ron invested be worth today?

I welcome him selling the club, I also doubt he has done this without knowing there was interest

I think the point is that he HASN'T said he will sell. He's "exploring" the issue and hedging what he says with as many caveats as he can.

It looks and smells whiffy, which is why I think people are concerned. Especially as some people are falling for it, if Twitter is to be believed.
I think he’s made it perfectly clear listening to the video that he wants to sell ideally club and stadium. Of course to do that he needs a buyer…so he’s not going to say he will sell whatever the offers….be pretty naive as an opening negotiation position. Come buy us I will sell come what may. What club sale starts from there…

I think some are finding hard to reconcile with being told they are getting what they wanted. It’s a form of Münchausen syndrome….

Please please please no…given the commercial acumen demonstrated on here we would finished in weeks….
It''s a very fair question, but increasingly hard to do if you have aspirations to get back and compete in the EFL. Exeter have managed it and one or two others also manage to make it work, but I think you need a lot of skill and resilience to do so.

It’s been a mixed feeling day today. Although pleased something will happen in the near future.
I did notice Ron looked pretty rough, maybe the past 6 months has taken its toll on him.
Although I don’t like the geezer and he’s treated everyone so badly. I think he will look for a quicker exit out of the club. However it all pans out I think he will do financially ok.
At least we have some statement to chew over and spit out.
Wouldn’t mind betting this thread will outrun any other to date.

It''s a very fair question, but increasingly hard to do if you have aspirations to get back and compete in the EFL. Exeter have managed it and one or two others also manage to make it work, but I think you need a lot of skill and resilience to do so.
The issue comes when you ask fans who want to be owners to sign up for their share of the losses (maybe via a bit of collateral - you can’t have some fans coughing up and others not)…. To which the answer is losses, how can the club (a football club) lose money??….which then exposes the complete lack of commercial awareness and why they should run a club in the first place..

I just wonder who's lacking the most backbone, Ron or the press in that room. He gave them so many Carrots but they remained silent.

Ron suggesting the club was in a better position than we he took over.

Press "the club was in the football league"

Ron "they were bottom" ... smiling smugly.

No response guys???

How about- yes Ron, they were bottom, and now they are in the National league which is BELOW bottom. So aren't the club in a worse position than when you took over??

Ron "when I took over the club was in 4.5million in debt which I paid off.

So 25 years on, the club is in the National league, staff not paid, players not paid including the biggest asset taking the club to court, HMRC not paid with many spiralling debts.... can you say that after 25 years you've brought success after paying off that 4.5million so called debt?

Is that really a measure of a succesful transition??

Why don't people call him out? He even said it's your chance!

They are all completely inept!!
Exactly this, but he’s good at it Phil. I’ve been a journo and only person who did this as well as RM was Eric Pickles (Yorkshire ****).

It’s hard, they are a local journo and a predominantly sports journalist. They were called at late notice, then told ask your questions and I won’t take any more.

When you’re not well versed with smooth PR operators it’s really difficult.

They demean you. He did this to CP early doors after a question, condescending him and ripped him of his confidence.

RM knows he is the smoothest PR man in that room. The only time he wobbled was during his read statement. Probably worried it was such BS that he’d get rumbled.

It’s hard to stand up in the face of people as arrogant and egotistical as RM. He will belittle and outfox you because you care more than he does.

Also, he’s used to it. Why else give national press a few hours (max) and then admit you had this sorted yesterday?

Don’t blame them. They were played like we’ve been played for decades.

Shark.

I think so - but does he still own the club? I really don't understand what's happened with Martin Dawn / SEL!!!
Don’t be surprised if the club is now effectively owned by RHL. All together in a nice safe place..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back