• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane SUFC v Manchester City: 28th January 1956

bluesince66

Here is YouTube footage I didn't know existed - apologies if it's been posted before.

I was a bit wary about posting a 'live' link, so you'll need to copy this url into your browser:

Was my first game at roots hall. the match was a bit off a lottery because off the state off the pitch. But it was only Troutman that kept city in the game. Hollis gave him a right kick in the neck, which i believe he took into the final with a broken neck.

Here is YouTube footage I didn't know existed - apologies if it's been posted before.

I was a bit wary about posting a 'live' link, so you'll need to copy this url into your browser:

No never seen that before. It's only been on YouTube for a few weeks. Didn't think there was any film footage of this match and very rare to have commentary.
Booing at half time?
I wonder if any of the 2nd half is available?

That takes me back and I have the programme.

This one?

Southend-United-V-Manchester-Utd-Fa-Cup-4Th.jpg

This was the 16th game ever played at Roots Hall since it's opening game against Norwich City on the 20th August 1955

Our FA Cup run that season.

FA Cup 1st Round 19th Nov 1955

Southend United 2-0 QPR Att. 15,000 Scorers: Barker, Hollis.

FA Cup 2nd Round 10th Dec 1955
Southend United 1-0 Weymouth Att. 10,000 Scorer: Lockhart

FA Cup 3rd Round 7th Jan 1956
Lincoln City 2 -3 Southend United Att. 11,238 Scorers: Hollis (2) McCrory

FA Cup 4th Round 28th Jan 1956
Southend United 0-1 Manchester City Scorer: Hayes Att. 29,500 (Our 2nd highest attendance only beaten by Liverpool game on the 10th Jan 1979 with 31,033).

Teams

Southend United Threadgold, Williamson, Howe, Duthie, Stirling, Lawler, Lockhart, McCrory, Hollis, Baron, McGuigan

Manchester City Trautmann, Ewing, Little, Barnes, Leivers, Paul, Spurdle, Hayes, Johnstone, Dyson, Clarke

Some interesting news reports and personal accounts here:-

FA Cup 4th Round SUFC v MCFC

Trying to get the game on before the match

bISZA5.jpg

Manchester City went on to beat Liverpool 2-1 after a replay in the 5th Round, beat Everton 2-1 in the 6th Round, beat Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 in the Semi-Final, and beat Birmingham City 3-1 in the final at Wembley in front of 100,000 to win the 1956 FA Cup.

That brought back some memories!
What I cannot ever remember is left winger John McGuigan’s name ever being pronounced McG..why..gan.

Back