• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaceman Spiff

Attila the Admin ⭐
Staff member
This is quite possibly going to be an absolutely crucial off season for us, either hugely positive or catastrophic. It doesn’t seem likely to be a quiet summer by any means.

I know what you’re going to say - ‘embargo’, ‘Ron’, ‘potless’…. etc - and you would be right. That doesn’t mean we don’t need this thread though as a home for all the chit chat and rumour.

We will definitely have some departures, and rumours to share about those, and we will definitely have some arrivals at some point too.

So, this is the place for all discussions, hopes and fears around the playing squad ahead of the new season kicking off in a couple of months please folks.

I don’t know whether @Smiffy wants to dust off his smorgasbord of emoticons this year, but for now has anyone got any top tips for realistic targets they want to share?

My guess ,at this point in time there will be more out goings than incomings ,until such time as the embargo is lifted .

"Should I stay or should I go?"

I'm sure this is the burning question on the lips of all of the out of contract players at the moment. As far as I can see, they are as follows - including ones where we have an option to renew -

Arnold
Ralph
Hobson
Davis
Bridge
Benton
Murphy
Hyde
Wreh

Hyde's loan has come to an end of course, and we have options on Davis, Benton, Murphy and Wreh.

So, some questions... if anyone has the answers, please enlighten me!

1) Under an Embargo, I think we are allowed to sign a keeper if we only have one. Does that mean we can re-sign Arnold (if he wants to of course, which he says he does)?
2) Chris Phillips says the club cannot enter into contract talks whilst under an embargo, but I thought we could sign someone and not register them... remember the 2 lads from Wigan who we signed under Sol Campbell but who couldn't ever play because they couldn't be registered? What's the rule, does anyone know for certain?
3) Bearing this in mind, where we have club options to extend already set into the the players contracts, meaning they are already registered to us with the league, would an extension of something already in place contractually be allowed?
4) Are we allowed to register junior players already with us who haven't yet got pro deals and who aren't technically "registered"? I'm pretty sure we can, but if the rules don't allow no 3, I'm not sure what's so different that makes this one ok and the other not (if that's the case).

Re the embargo generally, since the window shut there has been no incentive for Ron to get us out of the embargo. However, now there is. I therefore think (hope or pray are probably more accurate words to be honest) that he'll take whatever action is now necessary to get the embargo removed.

FWIW, this is what I think will happen -

a) Ron gets us out of the embargo by June
b) All club options will be triggered (if allowed)
c) Ralph, Hobson and Bridge will go regardless
d) New buyers announced end of June and take over in August
e) We win the NL at a canter, being invincible and amassing 126 points, thereby breaking Wrexham's points record by winning 40 games and drawing 6.
f) Three successive promotions follow and the first game at FF (there was a further delay as the stadium capacity was increased to 25,000) is a curtain raiser against Man City, which we win 2-0.
g) We get Champions League football for the first time and end up beating Bayern Munich in the final 4-3, coming back from 3-0 down at half-time

Ok, it's getting silly now... I'll stop. But a) to d) I think (again, hope or pray is more accurate) will happen.

Last edited:
1) Under an Embargo, I think we are allowed to sign a keeper if we only have one. Does that mean we can re-sign Arnold (if he wants to of course, which he says he does)?
2) Chris Phillips says the club cannot enter into contract talks whilst under an embargo, but I thought we could sign someone and not register them... remember the 2 lads from Wigan who we signed under Sol Campbell but who couldn't ever play because they couldn't be registered? What's the rule, does anyone know for certain?
3) Bearing this in mind, where we have club options to extend already set into the the players contracts, meaning they are already registered to us with the league, would an extension of something already in place contractually be allowed?
4) Are we allowed to register junior players already with us who haven't yet got pro deals and who aren't technically "registered"? I'm pretty sure we can, but if the rules don't allow no 3, I'm not sure what's so different that makes this one ok and the other not (if that's the case).

1) If we have one goalkeeper, that is fine. We don’t have to have two as a minimum. Don’t forget, we only had Blondy for quite a while. IF Arnold went and we lost Collin, we’d be able to bring one in, however we might not be able to until the week leading up to the season kick off.

2) I mentioned this before. Chris Phillips isn’t telling the whole truth. We’ve been engaged in contract talks with our own players already, and have spoken to some targets. The deals for new or existing players cannot be registered with the league/fa.

3 & 4) I’m not sure how the land lies with those to be honest. I’d guess we can’t on point 3, because IF Arnold (for example) agreed a new deal on the exact same terms as he currently has with us, that cannot be registered, so I’d assume we wouldn’t be able to exercise the options although I don’t know 100% either way.

1) If we have one goalkeeper, that is fine. We don’t have to have two as a minimum. Don’t forget, we only had Blondy for quite a while. IF Arnold went and we lost Collin, we’d be able to bring one in, however we might not be able to until the week leading up to the season kick off.

2) I mentioned this before. Chris Phillips isn’t telling the whole truth. We’ve been engaged in contract talks with our own players already, and have spoken to some targets. The deals for new or existing players cannot be registered with the league/fa.

3 & 4) I’m not sure how the land lies with those to be honest. I’d guess we can’t on point 3, because IF Arnold (for example) agreed a new deal on the exact same terms as he currently has with us, that cannot be registered, so I’d assume we wouldn’t be able to exercise the options although I don’t know 100% either way.
Thanks

Re 3, in your example, Arnold's would be a new contract that isn't already in place. However, Wreh, for example, would have his existing contract triggered to extend by something already in place.

It's an interesting point.

Thanks

Re 3, in your example, Arnold's would be a new contract that isn't already in place. However, Wreh, for example, would have his existing contract triggered to extend by something already in place.

It's an interesting point.

Be interesting to have it all clarified, or even better, have the embargo removed entirely then we don’t need to worry.

My guess, and that’s without any inside knowledge, is that the embargo won’t be removed until June at the absolute earliest.

I really enjoyed the 2022 version of this thread but I feel that, early doors at least, this one will be slightly more depressing.

I’m expecting a few departures. Hobson deserves a shot at the league as does Bridge. Ralph seems unlikely to stay as well though not sure what level he will end up at given his constant issues with injuries.

Do we keep others or will we get some fees for the likes of Kensdale and Miley?

Squad wise I think we are 3-4 first teamers and maybe a further 5 squad players from being a very good side at this level (though this will obviously change depending on departures). So if and when the embargo is lifted I am hoping to see a considerable inflow of players.

I also hope we don’t look to release many, if any, of the current squad but just look to build on top of the foundations they offer.

I really enjoyed the 2022 version of this thread but I feel that, early doors at least, this one will be slightly more depressing.

I’m expecting a few departures. Hobson deserves a shot at the league as does Bridge. Ralph seems unlikely to stay as well though not sure what level he will end up at given his constant issues with injuries.

Do we keep others or will we get some fees for the likes of Kensdale and Miley?

Squad wise I think we are 3-4 first teamers and maybe a further 5 squad players from being a very good side at this level (though this will obviously change depending on departures). So if and when the embargo is lifted I am hoping to see a considerable inflow of players.

I also hope we don’t look to release many, if any, of the current squad but just look to build on top of the foundations they offer.
With us under an embargo I'd be amazed if we moved on anybody at all at the moment who is under contract.

Looking at the table it's clear we need to score more goals next season, we need at least another 30 goals out of our squad to get automatic promotion.

Let's say Bridge goes the figure goes up to 45 additional goals required, we should be prioritising this.

John Lewis from York would be a good start and an upgrade on Hyde / Murphy.

Poleon would be an obvious target, he did come through our academy so may be tempted to come home.

I'd also be tempted to look Taylor, surely we would be attractive to someone playing at Spennymore

"Should I stay or should I go?"

I'm sure this is the burning question on the lips of all of the out of contract players at the moment. As far as I can see, they are as follows - including ones where we have an option to renew -

Arnold
Ralph
Hobson
Davis
Bridge
Benton
Murphy
Hyde
Wreh

Hyde's loan has come to an end of course, and we have options on Davis, Benton, Murphy and Wreh.

So, some questions... if anyone has the answers, please enlighten me!

Re the embargo generally, since the window shut there has been no incentive for Ron to get us out of the embargo. However, now there is. I therefore think (hope or pray are probably more accurate words to be honest) that he'll take whatever action is now necessary to get the embargo removed.

FWIW, this is what I think will happen -

a) Ron gets us out of the embargo by June
b) All club options will be triggered (if allowed)
c) Ralph, Hobson and Bridge will go regardless
d) New buyers announced end of June and take over in August
e) We win the NL at a canter, being invincible and amassing 126 points, thereby breaking Wrexham's points record by winning 40 games and drawing 6.
f) Three successive promotions follow and the first game at FF (there was a further delay as the stadium capacity was increased to 25,000) is a curtain raiser against Man City, which we win 2-0.
g) We get Champions League football for the first time and end up beating Bayern Munich in the final 4-3, coming back from 3-0 down at half-time

Ok, it's getting silly now... I'll stop. But a) to d) I think (again, hope or pray is more accurate) will happen.
a) is the most unrealistic of all of those points.

Looking at the table it's clear we need to score more goals next season, we need at least another 30 goals out of our squad to get automatic promotion.

Let's say Bridge goes the figure goes up to 45 additional goals required, we should be prioritising this.

John Lewis from York would be a good start and an upgrade on Hyde / Murphy.

Poleon would be an obvious target, he did come through our academy so may be tempted to come home.

I'd also be tempted to look Taylor, surely we would be attractive to someone playing at Spennymore
John Lewis is 34 later this month with his best days long gone. Poleon at 29 has had numerous opportunities at league clubs over the years but has never shown the consistency or goal scoring ability to trouble more able defences.

Glen Taylor at Spennymoor is 33 in a matter of days and although displaying a consistent goal scoring return over the years in National League North wouldn't fit the profile of players the football department would be looking to bring in.

You are spot on that we need more goals next season though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back