• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
But when he starts regularly we don’t always see the best of him. Too inconsistent, I just don’t think he is the player for us.
indeed. So inconsistent when starting in fact that Yorkshire Blue completely left him out of his ratings for the Wealdstone game. We only played with ten that day 😁

Fonguck scored 2 goals in 35 appearances 943 minutes per goal), Powell scored 8 in 40 (233 minutes per goal). And you want to keep Wes over Callum....? Powell's assist is better than Fonguck's too.

Actually, I would like to keep them both.

I think Powell scored more goals than either of our goalkeepers as well. Perhaps we should get rid of both of them too.?

Forward scores more than central midfielder shock horror.

You can't compare players In different positions by the same metric.

In my opinion, I'd move both on.

Neither would have got in any of the top 6 starting line ups this season.

If the stars align, and things go as positively as we all hope, neither player would play in the efl.

I think Powell scored more goals than either of our goalkeepers as well. Perhaps we should get rid of both of them too.?

If the stars align, and things go as positively as we all hope, neither player would play in the efl.
Thats the bottom line really.

Powell has had his chance, as has fonguck. But they are far from the best players in the league.

indeed. So inconsistent when starting in fact that Yorkshire Blue completely left him out of his ratings for the Wealdstone game. We only played with ten that day 😁

Why, it’s almost as if I was making a point about his impact on that game:Think:

Agreed with your first point.

Your second point about them not getting in any of the top 6 starting lineups however seems to assume you only need 11 players rather than a squad. I’d suggest you need depth and that Fonguck would be an above average depth player in this division and probably the division above.

I’d also point out that even successful teams are rarely superstars 1-11. We once got promoted with Che Wilson a regular in our side.

Why, it’s almost as if I was making a point about his impact on that game:Think:

Your second point about them not getting in any of the top 6 starting lineups however seems to assume you only need 11 players rather than a squad. I’d suggest you need depth and that Fonguck would be an above average depth player in this division and probably the division above.

I’d also point out that even successful teams are rarely superstars 1-11. We once got promoted with Che Wilson a regular in our side.
Fair, but hand on heart in all the southend squads and players youve seen over the years, would powell and fonguck be your first team picks..

At best they are squad depth players, but kev favours a smaller squad so not sure they are neceasary.

Yeah totally get what you are saying, ill agree to disagree about Wes,but I feel if either move on this summer,I can't see it being to a club that finished higher than Southend United did.

Not criticising either player unnecessary and as I've said a lot recently, appreciate that they stayed when others didn't (and really can't Imagine how hard that must have been) but I didn't think that it's beyond the realms of possibility that both could easily be upgraded.

Powell is Powell, and has been discussed to death, but after seeing every home game last season, and a few away, I still couldn't really tell you what type of midfielder Wes is.

After the malaise of the last 4 or 5 years, I don't think we should be afraid to acknowledge that we should (and hopefully soon could) be aiming higher and expecting more from our squad.

Fair, but hand on heart in all the southend squads and players youve seen over the years, would powell and fonguck be your first team picks..

At best they are squad depth players, but kev favours a smaller squad so not sure they are neceasary.
Controversial opinion alert:

if we had them a couple of seasons ago we wouldn't have ended up in non-league.

Reactions: fbm
He is one we should be looking to hang on too. He’s had some excellent performances and adds a different option in midfield. A real grafter, who can tackle and pass. Only thing that lets him down like the majority of our midfield last season is they don’t score enough.

I always think one of the great things that makes football the sport it is, is we watch the same players in the same games and have such varied opinions.

For my ten penneth, on Taylor; grafter - Yes, Tackler - yes and now we diverge...
Passing, weakest part of his game for me, as he misplaces so many and frustrates me that he wins a ball, then many times gives it straight back. Also agree with @Boreham Blue , when facing our goal, he makes me nervous and sometimes it's like watching an oil tanker turn and he gets picked off too easily.

For me, cover and a squad player at best and one we could improve on.

Barnet got rid along with Fonguck and their fans views were they couldn't see them as members of a promotion winning team, so they moved them on. On balance I think they got that right, looking at their improvement last season. I think exactly the same.

As I said at the start, I'm not right it's just an opinion, but that's mine FWIW.

Controversial opinion alert:

if we had them a couple of seasons ago we wouldn't have ended up in non-league.
Or, perhaps more pertinently, if Ron had sold a couple of years ago (when he should have, instead of chasing his legacy - which worked out well for everyone didn’t it) then we wouldn’t be in non-league.

Still, he didn’t and we are - but this is where the tears end and the fun starts boys and girls. Buckle up!

Is there any talks happening with current players who are in contract still but we may give them new terms ie the likes of Miley/ Noor for example ?

The truth is as much as we've had a nightmare season off the pitch, this squad was on the brink of playoffs, despite not being able to strengthen near the business end of the season, and the league is likely to be weaker this year with the promotions and relegations. The team doesn't need much changing ................ I think the key will be replacing the leavers with slightly better rather than losing too many of the current squad.

I prefer evolution to revolution ........ goals per game are the key issue.

By my reckoning, we drew 7 games during the season & lost 13 (yes, thirteen) by the odd goal. Rarely were we (Southend United) thrashed or letting in a lot of goals.

An additional 20 goals could (in theory) have resulted in an additional 27 points.

Is there any talks happening with current players who are in contract still but we may give them new terms ie the likes of Miley/ Noor for example ?

Who knows for sure, certainly not me. However we have gone from the end of days is upon us to 16000 seats won't be enough in just 2 weeks.

We can reasonably assume that Kev and Tom have been told by the new owners to not let any of our best payers leave. Even Hopson can be reassured there will be plenty funding available and we fully intend to be banging on the door next season.

The white board might even need upgrading as the names could be bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back