• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sunderland stats

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Only conceded three in their last 8 and sit top of the league's 8 game form guide (albeit on goal difference from West Brom (anyone know who their only defeat in eight was against) and Derby)

In spite of this, they sit 9th in the home league table and they've apparently dropped as many points in their last 5 home games as 8 overall.

Finally, they've been good against bottom-half opposition this year, third best in the league so we're going to have to play, as we have done, with intent to win the game even away from home. We're actually 9th best in the league against top-half now. Just for the record, the win on Friday was our first against bottom-half opposition.

Seems to me that, as with Stoke, if we can somehow get a goal then it's game on. They've got a well-marshalled midfield so Maher is going to be up against it and we need top quality performances from the wing to provide service to the frontmen. I'd be tempted to include Foran somehow as he seems very useful for turning long balls in to useful passes but I don't know how I would squeeze him in.

If we get anything from this game I'd be amazed (though the boys have managed to do that to me lately)... I reckon it's a loss unfortunately :(

We could just field 12 players and see if they notice?!
Yes though I agree with you, would like to see Foran popped in somewhere.
Their stats are quite impressive, I cant see anything other than a loss here would take a draw a million times over. We will have to go out fighting as soon as the whistle goes otherwise I cant see us getting anything from this.

I've always liked these Sunderland stats:

The last 4 times at their place:

95/96 Sunderland 1-0 Southend (L)
94/95 Sunderland 0-1 Southend (W)
93/94 Sunderland 0-2 Southend (W)
92/93 Sunderland 2-4 Southend (W)

For some reason, I'm not too keen to go back to the previous meeting in 87/88. It's also less impressive when you see what they've done to us at our place.

Preston beat them 1-0 at the SofL, last Sat in December (then beat them again 1-0 in FA Cup the week after).

Maybe Macca can get the lowdown from his ex Preston colleagues on how to beat them?

Agree it's going to be incredibly tough to get anything from the game but.....and this is just an opinion, go out from the off at 110mph, don't give them a second on the ball, snap at their heels at every opportunity, use the wide areas, especially JCR and if the lads can do that then it could well be a different story come 4.45pm on Saturday.

Do what teams did to us time and time again earlier on this season, didn't give us a chance to get into any kind of rhythm and didn't allow us to play the kind of game we wanted. Do this to Sunderland and another 'big team v smaller team' upset could just be on the cards.

For some reason, I'm not too keen to go back to the previous meeting in 87/88. It's also less impressive when you see what they've done to us at our place.

Did we not win at Joker Park in 91/92 too?
Thought we were the only team to ever win 4 years running at Sunderland.
Oh & have a guess which 90s Sunderland away game I went to :(

And we haven't . . . er . . . lost to a team beginning with the letter 'S' this season; Sunderland, Sheffield, Stoke & Southampton. ( . . . Spurs don't count) Southend tend to fair better against the higher placed teams in the league, who thought that we'd beat Birmingham at St.Andrews ? Manchester United have already become another statistic to Southend's rise to Champions League domination, so why can't we beat an ex-Man Utd too ?

The omens are good.

:) We're stayin' up, we're stayin' up, SOUTHEND's STAYING UP :)

Red and white stripes = guaranteed points no question :)

Delighted with a point there.

Did we not win at Joker Park in 91/92 too?
Thought we were the only team to ever win 4 years running at Sunderland.
Oh & have a guess which 90s Sunderland away game I went to :(

Seems you're right Glasgow - I just lifted the stats from Soccerbase and they weren't there in the head-to-head.

I'm guessing you saw 7 goals on your visit?

:(

Seems you're right Glasgow - I just lifted the stats from Soccerbase and they weren't there in the head-to-head.

I'm guessing you saw 7 goals on your visit?

:(

Nope, the 0-1 in September 95.
A memorable trip namely as I had a skinful the nightbefore (kids, never mix Spitfire with a McD's strawberry milkshake) & I was reunited with the contents of my stomach somewhere in the vicinity of Peterborough (my mate was none too happy the upholstery in his new Metro GTi got spewed on) and also for the sight of a pot-bellied right winger called Paul Byrne in one of his first games for the Blues (a real wasted talent if you ask me)

Nope, the 0-1 in September 95.
A memorable trip namely as I had a skinful the nightbefore (kids, never mix Spitfire with a McD's strawberry milkshake) & I was reunited with the contents of my stomach somewhere in the vicinity of Peterborough (my mate was none too happy the upholstery in his new Metro GTi got spewed on) and also for the sight of a pot-bellied right winger called Paul Byrne in one of his first games for the Blues (a real wasted talent if you ask me)

In many ways you were lucky then.

It's those that went in November 87 that I felt for with it's 7-0 drubbing/shaming! Anyone on here there that night?

Back