• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sunderland

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Sep. 05 2006,09:02)]Now, now. No need for point scoring. I knew you have a interest in t'Mackems so i just thought i'd have a little dig and you got all protective over it!

wink.gif
And why shouldn't I get protective over it? As far as I'm concerned, if you're having a pop at my family, you're having a pop at me. Which is exactly what it is when there's ill-informed digs at the team representing where they live.

It's the inverted snobbery I don't like too. Some supporters of lower league clubs simply make an assumption that those with a much larger fanbase can't possibly have 'true' supporters like they are and take great delight when things go wrong. Mind, I also can't stand fans that have a pop at MK Dons, simply because it's the politically correct thing to do, so perhaps I'm on my own here.

It also looks my initial post on here has been fairly accurate so far, mind. That tenner at 66/1 after the first 4 games now looks a lot better than the 600/1 I placed another tenner on for Southend (you'd be amazed at some of the mugs on Betfair - honestly, you could make a decent living out of that website). Though, of course, £6,010 would come in much handier than £670. It'd mean I don't have to go on that poxy Noel Edmonds show for a start .....

Keane is going to be a useless manager, and Sunderland are going to drop straight through this division.

Quinn, you need to do more that sack yourself, I think topping yourself would be moreon the money mate!!

cool.gif

:D

[qoute=On the contrary I would bet that Sunderland finish above Southend this season.

Every single manager that has ever lived has started off with no experience. Even Steve Tilson. Or Brian Clough. Or Alex Ferguson. The latter two, of course, being the managers Roy served under - not bad people to have picked managerial tips up from, I'd imagine.

Keane's first appointment, Brian Kidd as his assistant, seems very shrewd. Someone experienced as a No. 2 and not without a little success.

The very thing the Sunderland squad need is someone kicking their ****s, pushing them on, getting more and more, not suffering fools, rather than having someone like Niall Quinn, who is so laid back as to be horizontal.

If Sunderland strengthen their squad further before the transfer deadline, and get the injection of confidence needed by any team at any level, they will prove a number of people on this thread wrong.27-08-2006 06:33 PM

:D

Well, that's £140 coming my way so far. A Birmingham slip-up next week would come in very handy and would pay for a season ticket, my 40th birthday celebrations and the remainder towards my Rugby World Cup trips.

Marvellous. :D

Now, I'm not saying that I have a long memory, but ..... :p

Well done to all those "great" Sunderland fans.

Well, actually, well done to the 20k who hung around at the start of the season. The other 20k can suck my c**k. Thats what annoys me when presenters, commentators etc... go on about great support, when, in reality, its sh*te!

Kev

You're making it sweeter by the minute, Kev :hilarious:

At least you're consistent. When we got to our first ever LDV Final you said you'd rather just the 4,000 regulars turn up as opposed to all the hangers-on that attended.

You'll learn one day though, that supporting is simply watching other people do something, and isn't worth getting het up over. Chill, man, chill.

And they're the best team we've played this season in my view.

Last edited:
I tip my hat to Sunderland... what a turnaround! Keano looks like the real deal and dipped into the transfer market well

I wonder if we'll go for Arnau cos I doubt he features in your plans? I liked the glimpses of what I saw of him

Congratulations to Sunderland. Thoroughly deserved.

We took a few pastings this season, but the one at the Stadium of Light stood out as Sunderland were a class above anything I've seen in this division. A very good team, a very good ground and very good supporters.

Of the other contenders, Birmingham clearly had more quality than us, but despite also beating us 4-0 didn't particularly impress me. I think (and hope) they'll struggle next season.

Derby looked like a decent team but one created solely to get promoted, if they go up they'll need a thorough overhaul. West Brom, like Birmingham, clearly contained a lot of players who'd played at a higher level, but looked more like a collection of individuals than a team. Missed both Wolves games, so can't comment on them. Southampton looked like a club pointing in the right direction, but I think they may be a bit lightweight (difficult to judge against our team of flyweights).

Of those who just missed out, I wasn't impressed by Preston and I am struggling to believe that Stoke, Sheffield Wednesday were ever contending for the play-offs as both times we played them Stoke had midtable medicority written all over them and Sheffield Wednesday lower midtable- potentially-might-get-sucked-into-a-relegation-scrap-mediocrity.

I thought the division was by and large pretty disappointing. The quality was there, but only in flashes. I suppose this makes it more disappointing that we weren't good enough. Still, we beat Man U, so as far as I'm concerned we're still by far the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Back