• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supplements

Napster

No ⭐
Does anyone here take supplements? Ive started taking collagen in the morning for my joints with some high strength Vit D; at lunch some eye supplement (lutein/bilberry) and then before bed some ZMA (zinc monomethionine aspartate, magnesium aspartate, and vitamin B6)

The ZMA sends you off to sleep 30 mins after taking with some really deep sleep (the magnesium is needed as well to help boost the Vit D and zinc is good all round)

So far, so good - wake up feeling refreshed; joints feel better; and eyes look clearer.

Nothing. Surely so long as you eat a healthy diet you shouldn't really need any?

Nothing. Surely so long as you eat a healthy diet you shouldn't really need any?

I have never understood protein supplements which take all of the fun out of eating protein.

At the very least surely they should be chicken, steak or hot do sausage flavour rather than tasting like an own brand McDonalds milkshake.

I can't say I've ever looked into supplements but it has always seemed to have the whiff of being an absolute racket about it. Like healing crystals but with a bit more (psuedo) science attached to it. Holland and Barrett being like the more respectable cousin of the individual who tries to sell dried up banana skins as something to smoke to get high on.

I have persistent back and joint issues, and arthritis so take Glucosamine with Chrondroitin, MSM, Quercetin, Ginger & Rosehip extract; Osteoguard (500mg calcium & 125mg magnesium) and Vitamin D3 - all purchased through Lamberts, who I've found to be excellent.

Do I feel better? Who knows, but hopefully that lot will help with healing my current broken leg!

Been taking pure cod liver oil with omega-3 ( 1000mg ) for around 25 years. Same with 2000mg garlic oil.
Also Nov- end of Feb take Lamberts Vit D3 4000iu, extra super strength!.
Cant remember last time i had a cold etc!.

Look on the NHS website: there is no evidence to suggest that any of that will stop a cold. The only thing that they say MIGHT make a difference is zinc, and even then a) the evidence is weak, and b) it will only help if you take it at the start of a cold, the belief being that it will bind itself to your red blood cells thus not leaving room for the cold virus.

The placebo effect is extremely strong. Watch this video, it's not about placebo specifically, but it gets mentioned in amongst a whole load of really interesting stuff - it's also quite funny!

I don't take anything, I haven't had a cold in heaven knows how many years either.

Edit; It looks like the NHS have deleted their advice on zinc too.

Last edited:
Can't believe you take cod liver oil with the amount of fish you eat!!! ?

In that case it's probably a waste of money and is being excreted out.

In plain English you might as well chuck them down the toilet and cut out the middle man.

Last edited:
Just the recommended daily amount of Vit D for the past 6 months or so. Will probably stop that soon for the summer.

NB, I think I've read that the super strength vit d pills are not good for you over long periods. I see a few posts above on them so thought I'd put that out there

Back