• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Taylor rumours circulating

I think Tilson will only move when he thinks he has taken us as far as he can.

Anytime now then?

With the state of the finances and the calibre of player we attract I cant see us going much further than midtable league 1 at the moment.

Last edited:
On a serious note is Tilly likely to attract a bigger job than here at Southend?

Before people jump on this one, I rate Tilly as a manager but when bigger jobs come up then there is always a ''bigger'' manager taken on.

On a serious note is Tilly likely to attract a bigger job than here at Southend?

Before people jump on this one, I rate Tilly as a manager but when bigger jobs come up then there is always a ''bigger'' manager taken on.

That's quite a good point, I think one of the reasons that Tilly goes under a lot of clubs radar is because he has been in the Roots Hall hot seat for so long. Remember he's about the 6th longest serving manager in the league.

I'd compare him with Sean O'Driscoll who was at Bournemouth for years doing a steady job and turning out competitive teams, going under the radar of loads of clubs until Doncaster took a punt on him. Look where Doncaster & Bournemouth are now.

Anytime now then?

With the state of the finances and the calibre of player we attract I cant see us going much further than midtable league 1 at the moment.

At the moment.

But I believe that Tilly and Brush want to be in charge when FF opens. We've already been in the CCC with them and regardless of the odd bad result we've got a young and developing squad. We can go further.

That's quite a good point, I think one of the reasons that Tilly goes under a lot of clubs radar is because he has been in the Roots Hall hot seat for so long. Remember he's about the 6th longest serving manager in the league.

I've believed for ages that Tilson also gets passed over for his complete lack of competence in interviews. No matter what he does on the pitch, ST always gives the impression on TV and radio that he hasn't got a scooby what he's up to. Much as we sometimes knock him for it, it's always done us the power of good. If it sometimes leads to the opposition (Fergie? Scolari?) underestimating him then all the better.

I've believed for ages that Tilson also gets passed over for his complete lack of competence in interviews. No matter what he does on the pitch, ST always gives the impression on TV and radio that he hasn't got a scooby what he's up to. Much as we sometimes knock him for it, it's always done us the power of good. If it sometimes leads to the opposition (Fergie? Scolari?) underestimating him then all the better.

Also, he isn't a "name" like a Darren Ferguson or a Paul Ince. Tilson's record looks similiar, if not better on paper but both of them two are names. Just look at the money Ferguson and Ince have had to spend compared with Tilson and you will realise what a incredible job Tilson has done.

His playing career wasn't up to much cop either which has helped us out. He spent his career with us, Witham and Canvey. Paul Ince had a cracking record as a player, hence why he was given the chance in the first place. If Tilson didn't get his first chance with us I doubt he'd have ended up a manager. Mark Robins, ex-Man Utd player, does a great job at Rotherham and gets his big chance with Barnsley.

Granted some managers like Mourinho, Sir Ferguson and Wenger didn't have great careers as footballers, but we are talking about lower leagues here.

Tilly is a hero, i hope he never gets blamed for the predicament, Ron Martin will get this club into.

Back