• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Teaching advice

Pubey

Ok, so next week I begin my university teaching career:stunned:. I've given a few lectures and lead some small group classes before, but never to 'real' students. anyone got any decent tips? It will be doing 1st year undergraduate 'maths for economics'

eek!

Don't do what the teacher did in the sun today ....walked past one of his 14 year old pupils who was leaning over the photocopier and gave her a cheeky slaop on the *** whilst tell her she was very naughty :-0

I don't know about lecturing but as a relatively young person the best teachers at school were those who were approachable. Try and relax and enjoy what your teaching, if it comes across that you’re scared or bored it will show.

Hope this helps a little :)

whilst coaching kids and men,i quickly discovered if you praise praise praise and encourage it works wonders,i know football coaching is a tad different than your job,but its still about learning.

Ok, so next week I begin my university teaching career:stunned:. I've given a few lectures and lead some small group classes before, but never to 'real' students. anyone got any decent tips? It will be doing 1st year undergraduate 'maths for economics'

eek!

Do it naked

That should break the ice

Its all about handouts.

Produce a good handout so people don't have to spend all their time scribbling down what you are saying. It also helps out the students who are too hungover to write and makes life easier for those who can't be bothered to attend and saves people photocopying someone's illegible scrawl.

Also remember you won't hold anyone's attention for longer than about 40 minutes. So have a break in the middle.

whilst coaching kids and men,i quickly discovered if you praise praise praise and encourage it works wonders,i know football coaching is a tad different than your job,but its still about learning.

Thats a really good point, there is nothing to be gained by knocking people down into the ground. Another thing that always impresses is showing you know what your teaching, that your not just copying out of a book.

Its all about handouts.

Produce a good handout so people don't have to spend all their time scribbling down what you are saying. It also helps out the students who are too hungover to write and makes life easier for those who can't be bothered to attend and saves people photocopying someone's illegible scrawl.

Also remember you won't hold anyone's attention for longer than about 40 minutes. So have a break in the middle.

agreed 100%

seen many coaches waffle on and players become bored.

I don't even get handouts now at Uni. It's all done on Powerpoint and available online if you want to print it out.

The best way is pick the kid wearing the stupidest low slung trousers and make him/her a figure of fun.

Powerpoints are good, but try to add a little to them verbally. The amount of times I've sat in a lecture and just had a Powerpoint read out word for word when its available online is so frustrating! I just sit there bored thinking "why the hell am I paying over £3000 a year for someone to read Powerpoints at me?!"

Powerpoints are good, but try to add a little to them verbally. The amount of times I've sat in a lecture and just had a Powerpoint read out word for word when its available online is so frustrating! I just sit there bored thinking "why the hell am I paying over £3000 a year for someone to read Powerpoints at me?!"

so we can sit here and p*ss around on SZ all day!

(joke - your tuition fees go to good use!)

Afternoon chaps,

You have to make it clear who's in charge, so maybe the best course of action would be to ask the biggest/ fattest/ hardest member of the class to stand up at the front then you beat the snot out of him with the fat end of a pool cue.
It's my guess the rest of the class will be so terrified, they'll do whatever you want.
Maybe you'll even really impress some of the fit birds.

I can't see any drawbacks with this whatsoever....

You truly are my Hero :cool:

Dont do what my university tutor did - spoke in Monotone. My god, every week listing to him drone on about qualitative and quantitative data (because he assumed that we didnt know anything about them) for 2 hours made me nod off.

Handouts in advance are good - make notes on them as they go along instead of writing pages of words which they'll probably never read again.

Main thing, look and act like you know what your on about and have a sense of humour. :)

Dunno how big your class will be mate, but if you can, get them involved in some shape or form. Nothing worse than rambling on, reading off a projector slide etc. and people falling asleep: Like they do in Vange Shrimpers classes :whistling:

My mate is a lecturer in a Uni somewhere near Milton Keynes (God help him) and is teaching pyschology. He has 3 or 4 different classes a day but has the same teaching plan for all his classes. Also as psychology is about ideas most of the time the class end up arguing between themselves, while he just sits and watches the clock.

Dunno how big your class will be mate, but if you can, get them involved in some shape or form. Nothing worse than rambling on, reading off a projector slide etc. and people falling asleep: Like they do in Vange Shrimpers classes :whistling:

You cheeky sod. We ended up watching family guy in 2 of my lessons today, which the kids loved :p

Advice given is all good, but it really depends what size group you're teaching/lecturing to. Methods will vary accordingly.

Personally, never been a fan of giving out handouts unless they add to what i'm talking about. Copies of powerpoint, whether you add to them verbally or not, just let people drift off and not listen.

To be honest though, style and method are all secondary to appearence. If you don't look the part it doesn't matter what you do. Make sure you appear confident (even if you are seriously bricking it). Present yourself as if you know the topic inside out (even if you don't), and ensure that all the tricky bits you can explain in two or three different ways - nothing worse than a student not getting something and having the teacher repeat the explaination word for word but just a bit slower.

Having said that, good luck. It gets easier the more you do it!

To be honest though, style and method are all secondary to appearence. If you don't look the part it doesn't matter what you do.

Corduroy slacks, suede hush puppies, a copy of the Guardian and CND/Free Nelson Mandela badges to show you are down with the kids?

Back