• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rigsby

Life President⭐
So now we have finished who would be your staring 11 if ever one was available that played last season.

I'll start with: Oxley

Demetriou Thompson Ferdinand Coker

Atkinson Lenny Wordsworth McLaughlin

Ranger Cox

Bench... 5 choices only...Smith, White, Fortune, Robinson Timlin

So now we have finished who would be your staring 11 if ever one was available that played last season.

Ranger Cox

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with any of that, although for me there's nothing in it between Nile and MAF.

Ranger Cox

Yeah I'd go with that too but I think you could toss a coin on Smith and Oxley

Yeah I'd go with that too but I think you could toss a coin on Smith and Oxley
Yeah I agree with that. Think Smith showed more consistency with his performances but Oxley went from shaky (I'm being kind here) to actually a really strong L1 keeper IMO.

Ranger Cox

Are we not including loan players as they also actually played for is?

Are we not including loan players as they also actually played for is?

You can include loan players. Walton is a great prospect but in his last 10 games, as Farmdog pointed out, Oxley had really come to the party.

Just missing out on the bench choices would be McGlashan, Amos, Inniss

I agree with the majority of the above, however, looking at the GK position there is not a lot in it, in terms of statistics for both Oxley and Smith. Both played similar number of games, both have delivered similar benefits to the team. Arguably (marginally) Smith is the better of the two based on Win % and Points % per games played.

Note - these totals & %'s include cup games also..
Oxley
Played
%
Clean Sheet
29%
Win
42%
Draw
29%
Lose
29%
Total points
51%
Smith
Played
%
Clean Sheet
29%
Win
43%
Draw
29%
Lose
29%
Total points
52%
Walton
Played
%
Clean Sheet
43%
Win
43%
Draw
0%
Lose
57%
Total points
43%

I agree with the majority of the above, however, looking at the GK position there is not a lot in it, in terms of statistics for both Ted and Smith.

Although to be fair there never really could be much between Ted & Smith

Although to be fair there never really could be much between Ted & Smith

Fair shout - corrected... maybe I should do a comparison for Ted & Smith (T. Smith V P. Smith) but will need the former to complete a full season first..

Ranger Cox

Bit harsh on McGlashan who started 13 and subbed in 22 league games - must be on the bench.
I'd prefer Smith any day to Oxley who always looked like an accident waiting to happen whilst Smith looked much more assured throughout.

Think this also shows how badly we used the loan system. Josh Cullen was PoY at Bradford City.

So of the 11 who needs replacing to give us a promotion winning side? Four or five are very susceptible to injury now.

Ranger Cox

Exactly these 11. If we were to name 7 subs I'd have McGlashan and Innis on the bench.

For my 18..

Smith

Demetriou - Thompson - Ferdinand - Coker

Atkinson - Lenny - Wordsworth - McLaughlin

Fortune - Cox

Bench...... Oxley, White, Ranger, Robinson, Timlin, McGlashan, O'Neil

Why should I have only 16 when I'm allowed 18!!

See the bench rule on post 1. Easy to pick a keeper and 6 outfield players but much harder if you only have 4 outfield slots to fill.

Why should I have only 16 when I'm allowed 18!!

Er, because that's what the thread is about. We can all pretty much pick 18, hence why the 16 rule makes it a lot more interesting.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you about McGlash, but just intrigued to know who would drop out of the 16 at the top of the thread, in the original post?

Er, because that's what the thread is about. We can all pretty much pick 18, hence why the 16 rule makes it a lot more interesting.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you about McGlash, but just intrigued to know who would drop out of the 16 at the top of the thread, in the original post?

5 subs is irrelevant though unless you're in the National league. Little point having a sub goalie they are rarely used.

OK, no dramas.

It's just a bit of fun to play around with the squad and see what people think are our strongest 16 players and maybe see if there's a pattern of thinking.

Not having a sub goalie is a thought and having McGlash instead.

Thought the 16 was a good idea for a thread, to be honest. Certainly needed a lot more thinking.

Andy

I think I missed the concept to be honest. I thought you only added 5 subs as no one else would make it in your team of the season.. My bad..

Re the exclusion of a GK from the bench, I think as both Ox and Ted both had an equal contribution to the team, my view was to have one on the bench, with Smith just edging the 11..

No worries 'SS3'. I had to read it a couple of times, as well, to be sure.

The keeper is the real difficult one. I think I would have a keeper on the bench, unless there is a very competent outfield player who could cover in an emergency. I think Lenny is kind of the stand-in.

My 16 would be :-

Oxley
Atkinson Leonard Wordsworth McLaughlin
Cox Ranger

SUBS : Smith White Robinson Fortune Timlin

That would leave McGlashan out, but does give more cover if Lenny or Will are injured.

Tough call, though.

Back