• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
There's a good write up on Ted Smith in the centre pages of The Sun today as part of the Class of 2014. Worth a read

"Good write up" and "The Sun"

words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence

It appears that I have to open an account to access the Sun on -line. This I am not prepared to do. So I will just have to pass on Teddy Smith.

The top brass in the domestic game want to see more home-grown players playing in the Premier League.
But keeper Smith insists he would not swap the schooling he is getting at League Two Southend for anything.

The Basildon-born kid, who skippers the reserve team at Roots Hall, said: “Without Southend I would not be anywhere near the player I am.

“As a goalkeeper you can go to a Premier League club, play Under-21 football and be sidelined for a bit longer.

“Or you try to work your way into the first team at a club like Southend — and that’s the way I’ve chosen.”

Ted Smith.jpgTed Smith 2.jpg

In the England under 19s too. They have 3 games coming up in the next week - 10th October (Belarus), 12th October (Luxembourg) and 15th October (Belgium).

The other goalkeeper is from Newcastle United, but on loan at Hartlepool for 1 month. He is yet to play for them yet though. Also been represented at under 16, under 17 and under 18 level.

Hopefully Smith will get at least 1 of these games to show what he can do.

The top brass in the domestic game want to see more home-grown players playing in the Premier League.
But keeper Smith insists he would not swap the schooling he is getting at League Two Southend for anything.

The Basildon-born kid, who skippers the reserve team at Roots Hall, said: “Without Southend I would not be anywhere near the player I am.

“As a goalkeeper you can go to a Premier League club, play Under-21 football and be sidelined for a bit longer.

“Or you try to work your way into the first team at a club like Southend — and that’s the way I’ve chosen.”

View attachment 2858View attachment 2859

That's excellent and says a lot about our club regarding the way they treat, nurture and look after the youngsters. I have seen him a lot in training and some youth games. He has still a way to go to challenge Smith and Bentley, but is coming along very nicely, improving all the time. He is also very vocal to his defenders. I think he will really improve when he bulks up a lot as he gets older.

View attachment 2860
Cut and paste from Sun, lists ambitions, to make first team debut for Southend, get a long term contract with Southend and be England No 1
Good luck and great to hear a local lad wanting to further his career with us. Money will dictate his future eventually but if half the first team were as ambitious as this lad then no reason to believe other than Southend are on the way up at last.

Also backs up what I've said before about how much Ted and Dan value the mentoring provided by Paul Smith.

Also backs up what I've said before about how much Ted and Dan value the mentoring provided by Paul Smith.

Just what I was about to point out. There was obviously a lot of sense in keeping PS on. Hopefully it will also shut the people up that I hear complaining that PS doesn't come out and mess around with the other subs at half time. Maybe he's actually in the changing room speaking to Dan Bentley?

Just what I was about to point out. There was obviously a lot of sense in keeping PS on. Hopefully it will also shut the people up that I hear complaining that PS doesn't come out and mess around with the other subs at half time. Maybe he's actually in the changing room speaking to Dan Bentley?

Would be nice if true!

Would be nice if true!

It's more likely than their assumption that he won't join in because he's sulking at not playing. If they're right, he's been sulking for over a season now and signed a new contract in the middle of that!

Goalkeeping coach/mentor suits Paul Smith to the ground. As much as I berate him for his performances theres no doubt he is a good influence on the others around him.

two of the best young players in the league, both in and around the England youth set-ups and both from Basildon. Dan Bentley and Ted Smith, hail to you, Basildon boys

Paul Smith's problem has always been confidence, on his day he is fantastic, there's a lot he can teach Bentley and Ted.

two of the best young players in the league, both in and around the England youth set-ups and both from Basildon. Dan Bentley and Ted Smith, hail to you, Basildon boys

Is Ted from Basildon? I thought he was from Benfleet, certainly went to King John school.

Thats Basildon for you, always trying to claim credit. You have Alison Moyet, Denise Van Outen and Depeche Mode. Get your claws off of Smith.

He does live in Benfleet and did go to King John. Used to have Wednesday's off with my friends son and they both went training with SUFC

Not sure it was having Wednesdays "off", lol, think that was what he referred to as "day release" in the article!

Back