• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

thank god for rootshall

MOODYSHRIMPER

Banned
coming away from another soulless concrete bowl, and having done about 15 of these in the last few seasons, I thank god for roots hall and the fact that we shall still be there for the forseeable future. Every single of these stadiums possibly with the exception of Sunderland, are for me killing the very heart of football

Nothing beats a night game at roots hall whateve the attendance.

could you imagine having to go to that dump every week, no prematch meet up for fistycuffs or food, or drink. no getting close to the action, possible pitch invasions, it doesnt bear thinking about. Just get on oyur park and ride, get off, sit there with mental health people not form e

coming away from another soulless concrete bowl, and having done about 15 of these in the last few seasons, I thank god for roots hall and the fact that we shall still be there for the forseeable future. Every single of these stadiums possibly with the exception of Sunderland, are for me killing the very heart of football

could you imagine having to go to that dump every week, no prematch meet up for fistycuffs or food, or drink. no getting close to the action, possible pitch invasions, it doesnt bear thinking about. Just get on oyur park and ride, get off, sit there with mental health people not form e

Well there's a very real chance that we will be playing somewhere like this in the future. Hence why I firmly believe the Club need to find some way to inject some 'soul' into the neighbouring premises and franchises sharing our car lot space.

Thought it was just me being a miserable old git, but it confirms all my fears about 'relocation'! No atmosphere at all, Col U came close on a number of occasions, but you would never have known it. What must it be like only half full - awful.

crap ground, crap fans, crap location, they are just crap. lol.

just looking at the stadium and clearly seeing how cheaply its ben assembled and the poor organising of getting there and getting out. but tbh i couldn't think of a better team to be homed there.

YOUR GROUNDS TO BIG FOR YOU, YOUR GROUNDS TOO BIG FOR YOU! hahaha

Sorry but I actually liked the ground!

I love Roots Hall as I am a passionate Southend fan, however to be honest the ground has numerous faults including pillars providing 50% of seats with poor view and cack catering facilities.

If you would ask an unbiased fan what is the better ground I would assume most people would prefer the scums ground.

Have to say I'm in 2 minds. Theses soulless concrete block grounds are just awful - I stood in the concession area, looked around at all the breezeblocks and the franchise style food stands and thought - am I at Leicester? Or Mk Dons? Or Northampton? etc

You just wouldn't be able to tell.

That said, pitch side is comfortable and the viewing uninhibited unlike Roots Hall.

But not atmosphere - and no point laughing at ColUs empty seats, because if we get a 16-18,000 seater, half the time ours will be half full too and we'll have to put up with the "this grounds too big for you" taunts...

given that our average attendance is likely to drop to around 6,500 next season, its reasonable to assume, that if 50% percent of our seats at rh are restricted this shouldnt affect anyone next year, can u imagine what 6,500 would look like in 22,000 capacity. Wait though when we get the occasional big game, people pipe up here, saying " see we need a new stadium!!" would love to see aJPT tropy game in a new stadium!!

The most important thing in a ground for me is the unobstructed viewing of the pitch. Even in the south upper, you can lose site of the goal line if everyone stands up in front of you. When sitting in the east, you have to pick your spot to miss the posts.

Of the new grounds I've been to, I'd say the liberty has the best view, but they are all pretty much of a muchness. Often located out of town with poor roads in and out and zero local facilities. Northampton has to be the worst as it is always freezing.

There is some thing to be said for some of the old grounds, but if they are anything like approaching full, loads of people end up with a restricted view.

Whilst I see where you're coming from with this, and don't get me wrong, I love the Hall and all of it's little rinky-dinks, the only thing that can give a stadium it's soul is the fans who are in it. I wonder if people were having this same conversation about Roots Hall before its construction?

Personally, I thought their ground was OK - like Sixfields, only bigger. The only real problem with it, apart from the restricted view I had, was the fact that the four corners of the ground were open. Having been a to number of new stadium in the Championship the season before last, I have to say I'm a massive fan of The Ricoh Arena, The Walkers Stadium, Pride Park and the KC Stadium. The atmosphere in all of them, apart from Coventry, was superb, and more importantly, the view was exceptional.

The new ground may take some getting used to, but for me, I'd rather sit in a brand new stadium with excellent facilities, a decent view and enjoy the experience. When we abolished standing, I used to think how much I'd end up hating football, but it's a way of life now, and I won't miss those bloody posts on the East Stand getting in the way right at the wrong time!

Whilst I see where you're coming from with this, and don't get me wrong, I love the Hall and all of it's little rinky-dinks, the only thing that can give a stadium it's soul is the fans who are in it. I wonder if people were having this same conversation about Roots Hall before its construction?

Personally, I thought their ground was OK - like Sixfields, only bigger. The only real problem with it, apart from the restricted view I had, was the fact that the four corners of the ground were open. Having been a to number of new stadium in the Championship the season before last, I have to say I'm a massive fan of The Ricoh Arena, The Walkers Stadium, Pride Park and the KC Stadium. The atmosphere in all of them, apart from Coventry, was superb, and more importantly, the view was exceptional.

The new ground may take some getting used to, but for me, I'd rather sit in a brand new stadium with excellent facilities, a decent view and enjoy the experience. When we abolished standing, I used to think how much I'd end up hating football, but it's a way of life now, and I won't miss those bloody posts on the East Stand getting in the way right at the wrong time!

That said, me and my mate are kicking it old skool Saturday and standing at Peterborough! Should be fun... be moaning about aching backs in 10 minutes I bet!

should be interesting then next tuesday!!!

That said, me and my mate are kicking it old skool Saturday and standing at Peterborough! Should be fun... be moaning about aching backs in 10 minutes I bet!

Indeed.... Gutted, but I have to miss this one, was looking forward to standing up for 90 minutes... that said, I was not looking forward to Mrs RC complaining about standing up for 90 minutes, so maybe a blessing in disguise.... She's not used to the old days of being crammed in like sardines while standing up!

Horrible thought...is there a date we have to be out of RH. Could we find ourselves homeless and ground sharing with Col U or Dargen Ham.

I think it would have to be a cold day in hell before that happens! If we ground share with anyone, I'm convinced it would be more likely to be Gillingham.

Thought it was just me being a miserable old git, but it confirms all my fears about 'relocation'! No atmosphere at all, Col U came close on a number of occasions, but you would never have known it. What must it be like only half full - awful.

well think about this then, our average attendance this season is 5983. this includes all cup games. we would be in the same situation as col u when/if we do actually move to fossetts farm. based on this seasons average attendance the ground would be less than 1/3 full. of course it is good for us to be moving to a new state of the art stadium, and shows planning for future success. but realisticallythe idea of blues in the prem or even a solid CCC team is a LONG way off. im all for the new stadium, but it's not going to look good with only a 1/3 maybe sometimes 1/2 the stadium full and the atmosphere could very well be non-existent

I enjoyed my visit to St. Mary's, but I wonder what the atmosphere will be like there next season when they will be getting gates of less than 10,000 in League 1?

how many times will we here that at fossetts?

Maybe we will hear it at Fossetts - but at least it will mean we still have a club to support. Staying at Roots Hall is simply no longer an option, we have to move to survive.

Roots Hall, beloved as it is, is ramshackle, poorly built, and has terrible accoustics. The atmosphere for most matches is dreadful, and though I love the place for the memories it has given me, I will walk out from the final match there with barely a backward glance. The future is over at Fossetts Farm, now.

Maybe we will hear it at Fossetts - but at least it will mean we still have a club to support. Staying at Roots Hall is simply no longer an option, we have to move to survive.

Roots Hall, beloved as it is, is ramshackle, poorly built, and has terrible accoustics. The atmosphere for most matches is dreadful, and though I love the place for the memories it has given me, I will walk out from the final match there with barely a backward glance. The future is over at Fossetts Farm, now.

Surely not sir? I will be gutted!

Back