• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The 20 most outrageous owners

sammyboy

Cannavaro
In the new Sky Sports magazine, Something we are doing well in...

1. Kim Jong il
2. ANTON JOHNSON
3. Bernard Tapie
4. Vince McMahon
5. Russell Crowe
6. Bill Veeck
7. Silvio Berlusconi
8. Marge Schott
9. George SteinBrenner
10. John Manners
11. Flavio Briatore
12. Ken Richardson
13. Terry Smith
14. Dinel Staicu
15. Jesus Gil
16. Jerry Jones
17. Mark Cuban
18. Dorothy Paget
19. Vladimir Romanov
20. Mike Bateson

I will re-write a few of them for you guys.

2. Anton Johnson - Southend United

Johnson was arrested when £70k of Southend's Christmas Club fund went AWOL in 1989. Against league rules, he was also chairmen of Rotherham at the time. Controversially returned at scarborough in 1998 and said they would become a premier league side- by the end of the season they were relegated from the Football League! Also owned Crocs nightclub in Eseex, a venue noted for having live crocodiles kept in glass tanks in the foyer.

Did anyone go to this Crocs?

8. Marge Schott - Cincinnati Reds

The first women ever to buy a baseball team. She achieved infamy by insulting every minority group possible. Asked, 'why is this happening to me?' when a game was postponed after the on-field death of an umpire [she apologized by sending flowers to the family that had just been sent to her by a TV company]. Refused to hire scouts -["all they want to do is watch Baseball"] and insisted her dog a St Bernard appear in al official photos.

In that same magazine, I was surprised we weren't in the list of top ten 'yo-yo' teams.

I think we're about to be relegated/promoted for the 16th time. Can anyone confirm whether that's correct or not?

In that same magazine, I was surprised we weren't in the list of top ten 'yo-yo' teams.

I think we're about to be relegated/promoted for the 16th time. Can anyone confirm whether that's correct or not?

Year Season Commenced

Relegated Promoted

1965 1971
1975 1977
1979 1980
1983 1986
1988 1989
1997 2004
?

16 times since 1957 (regionalisation scrapped)

17th time if we fail this season

Last edited:
All for me..Who went to anton johnson"s first shairholders meeting a afternoon do,he had one of his yorkshire mates in charge as chaiman.I was building some houses with my late dad so i went from work cement dust all over. The bbc was outside and other people at the meeting looked at me like i was a bit of dog **** on the pavement that is all bar my mates. This wasThe start of our troubles, who sold the club to johnson i forgot?????

All for me..Who went to anton johnson"s first shairholders meeting a afternoon do,he had one of his yorkshire mates in charge as chaiman.I was building some houses with my late dad so i went from work cement dust all over. The bbc was outside and other people at the meeting looked at me like i was a bit of dog **** on the pavement that is all bar my mates. This wasThe start of our troubles, who sold the club to johnson i forgot?????

The Rubin brothers, although Mark MacCutcheon was an interim Chairman IIRC

Other than being a crook, was Anton Johnson really that outrageous?

BTW, have a read of this article on Marge Schott.

Bill Veeck would have topped my list. The bloke is an absolute legend. A marine during WWII whose leg was amputated, he cut holes in his wooden leg to use as an ash-tray. His genius deserves to be known on a far wider scale. An innovator of unrivalled creativity, his various claims to fame include being the bloke who planted the ivy on the wall at Wrigley Field, deciding to have Harry Caray sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and being the first man to try and integrate MLB (he tried to buy the Philadelphia Phillies and stock them with Negro Leaguers during segregation) but my favourite two events are:

1. the infamous Disco Demolition Day that resulted in a full-scale riot.
2. Having a dwarf pinch-hit. This was unadulterated genius. A dwarf obviously has a lot smaller strike-zone, so Veeck signed a bona fide dwarf, Eddie Gaedel, and had him pinch-hit in a MLB game. With the strike-zone being smaller and a lot lower down, Gaedel in his only Major League at bat was able to take a 4 ball walk and thus has the highest On-Base Percentage in MLB history.

In comparison, football is frankly boring.

Back