• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The 2005/06 season betting thread

Upminster Blue

Manager
At about this time of the year I always intend to study odds, signings etc with the aim of placing a few bets for the season but invariably forget! This year will be different and I thought it would be useful to kick off a thread of people's tips and best value bets for the coming season.

To start things off:

Freddy: each way bet at 25-1 for League One top scorer has to be good value - now has nearly a year's experience and should benefit from the more cultured football in League One.

Millwall to be relegated (best price 7-2). Have sold most of their top players, management and board are a shambles and they were pants against us (not that pre-season means much).

Crewe to be relegated. Have been in free fall since they sold Ashton. Surely they can't survive again.

Lincoln to be relegated. Bit of an outsider but the odds should be good given they made the play-offs last year. Have lost most of their "star" players and surely their style of play has had its day although they've made a few useful looking signings and pre-season results have been decent.

Definately fancy Millwall to get relegated.

I have a treble on Chelsea to win the Prem, Bristol City to Win league 1 and Rushden to get relegated from League 2, which was 43-1 on bet 365.

My pick of the value out there:

Premier$hite:

Charlton to be relegated (8/1 SuperBet)

Alan Curbishley to be the first manager to go (14/1 Corals)

Championship:

Wolves to win (13/2 Paddy Power)

Top Goalscorer:

A little e/w on Juan Ugarte (40/1 bet 365)
otherwise Dean Ashton (6/1 Tote)

League One:

Top Goalscorer:

Freddy (25/1 Skybet)
a little e/w Andy Booth (66/1 Paddy Power). Interesting to note that the sports betting experts Stan James have Booth as low as 16/1. Stan James are to sports betting what Ladbrokes are to horse racing, so if they go the shortest price on someone take note!)

Rotherham to be relegated (6/1 Skybet)

League Two:

Bury e/w (50/1 bet365)
Lincoln to be relegated (20/1 Corals)

Matthew Tipton e/w to be top gaolscorer (33/1 Paddy Power/Bet365)

Non-League

Conference:

Tamworth e/w (50/1 general)

Gravesend and Northfleet to be relegated (5/1 bet365)

Ryman Prem:

Chelmsford City (20/1 Skybet/bet365)

In Scotland:

Hearts have got to be worth a very small investment to win the Prem (400/1 bet365) just in case Celtic are v.crap under Stachan and Rangers fall over themselves laughing at the prospect.

In cottish League 2 Gretna are certainties (11/8 Sporting Bet), but a speculative e/w punt on Peterhead (20/1 Skybet) should pay e/w dividends.

Who has Matthew Tipton signed for?

Does anyone have a link to a list of "players in and out" over the summer at every club?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 29 2005,16:05)]Alan Curbishley to be the first manager to go (14/1 Corals)
I think that is a brilliant price. It will either be him or Pardew i reckon, put Pardew has short odds so is therefore not really worth backing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ July 29 2005,16:23)]Who has Matthew Tipton signed for?

Does anyone have a link to a list of "players in and out" over the summer at every club?
Mansfield Town answers Q1.

Q2 is answered (partially) here:

July transfers

a link on the right-hand side of the page will take you to June's deals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 29 2005,16:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ July 29 2005,16:23)]Who has Matthew Tipton signed for?

Mansfield Town answers Q1.

Q2 is answered (partially) here:

July transfers

a link on the right-hand side of the page will take you to June's deals.
Cheers
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 29 2005,16:05)]In Scotland:

Hearts have got to be worth a very small investment to win the Prem (400/1 bet365) just in case Celtic are v.crap under Stachan and Rangers fall over themselves laughing at the prospect.
Complete waste of money. You'd be far better off backing Hearts in the 'betting without the Old Firm' market (which I fully intend to do).

Best price on offer is 11/4 with SkyBet

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ July 30 2005,09:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 29 2005,16:05)]In Scotland:

Complete waste of money. You'd be far better off backing Hearts in the 'betting without the Old Firm' market (which I fully intend to do).

Best price on offer is 11/4 with SkyBet
You will note that I said a very small investment @400/1 on Hearts. At 11/4 over the course of a long nine-month season you would be better off putting your money in an ISA.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Aug. 01 2005,09:11)]You will note that I said a very small investment @400/1 on Hearts. At 11/4 over the course of a long nine-month season you would be better off putting your money in an ISA.
wink.gif
Only if it perfroms *exceptionally* well! Plus none of the thrills and spills you have with a normal bet!

Anyway, a 4-2 win at Killie got the bet off to a roaring start
smile.gif

In other betting news, Southend are now out to 40/1 from 33/1 with Ladbrokes....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Aug. 01 2005,09:11)]You will note that I said a very small investment @400/1 on Hearts. At 11/4 over the course of a long nine-month season you would be better off putting your money in an ISA.
wink.gif
Interestingly, there's been a big gamble on Kilmarnock (25s to 9s) in that market today.

Wonder what is going on?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 01 2005,17:25)]
[b said:
wink.gif
Interestingly, there's been a big gamble on Kilmarnock (25s to 9s) in that market today.

Wonder what is going on?  
rock.gif
They will today announce the signing of Lawrie Dudfield.
biggrin.gif

Ladbrokes betting for Saturday's game:

Southend...10/11
Draw.........9/4
Port Vale...12/5

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2005,11:07)]Ladbrokes betting for Wednesday's game:

Southend...10/11
Draw.........9/4
Port Vale...12/5
Saturday, of course!

Best prices available:

Southend 11/10 - Corals, Tote, BlueSq, Paddy Power

Draw 12/5 Stan JAmes

Port Vale 5/2 Stan James

Good that both Ladbrokes and Stan James go the shortest price on Southend - these two are the most astute bookmakers IMO and when they go shortest take note!

Get on the 11/10 the Shrimpers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Aug. 03 2005,11:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2005,11:07)]Ladbrokes betting for Wednesday's game:

Southend...10/11
Draw.........9/4
Port Vale...12/5
Saturday, of course!

Best prices available:

Southend 11/10 - Corals, Tote, BlueSq, Paddy Power

Draw 12/5 Stan JAmes

Port Vale 5/2 Stan James

Good that both Ladbrokes and Stan James go the shortest price on Southend - these two are the most astute bookmakers IMO and when they go shortest take note!

Good spot - just edited my post
smile.gif

And you're right about Ladbrokes' football traders - our top man John Jones is one of the most respected odds compilers in the business.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2005,11:43)]Good that both Ladbrokes and Stan James go the shortest price on Southend - these two are the most astute bookmakers IMO and when they go shortest take note!

Good spot - just edited my post  
smile.gif

And you're right about Ladbrokes' football traders - our top man John Jones is one of the most respected odds compilers in the business.[/QUOTE]
On this basis the stand out bet this weekend has to be in Scottish Division 2 with Forfar to win away at Gretna. Ladbrokes go only 3/1 Forfar, and Stan James 7/2. 9/2 and 5/1 are generally available elsewhere, but Betdirect go 11/2 Forfar - a definite stand-out bet.

Gretna have just come up from the league below, Forfar finished last season quite well in Division 2, and only lost in extra time away to St. Mirren (Divi 1) last weekend in the Scottish Challenge Cup, whilst Gretna lost 3-2 to Morton.

Aren't Gretna trying to buy themselves into the SPL? Loads of people seem to be tipping them to win the second division this year. They also may be smarting after last week's defeat and may bo looking to bounce back

The Racing Post yesterday tipped up Freddy at 25/1 (Coral and SkyBet) to top score in League One.

In their preview of Southend's chance for this year they wrote:

"Much depends on Freddy Eastwood. If the scoring machine adapts to life in League One they should be okay but it wll be a long season if he flops"

Tips for League One in general were:

Brentford, 2pts e/w at 20/1 (generally available)
Doncaster, 1pt e/w at 20/1 (Stan James)

Come on you blues!! What about betting on Grays for promotion?

Back