• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane The East Stand Extensions.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Pics from Lee Barnard.
416650512_10223512723158496_8116244169142745011_n.jpg

418217564_10223512728878639_164454374124408885_n.jpg

Health and safety at its best in those days. 😱

Great photos...take my hat off to those brave site workers

Good to know Lee Barnards still a fan after playing for us
I had some contact with Lee Barnard who was living locally a few years ago when he posted a photo on the "Ros Southend Past in Photos" Facebook page taken from the old 1968-69 Southend United handbook which has a picture in it of Charlie Benson and myself taken outside the Shrimpers Club from back in November '68. Whilst talking at that time to Lee I then found out that his Uncle Geoff Barnard who went to school in the Southend area had actually played a few times for Southend United reserve team back in the early 1960's as a trialist but was never offered a contract before joining Norwich City in September 1963.
After making just 6 first team appearances for the Canaries Geoff moved to Scunthorpe United in 1968 the season after Ray Clemence had moved to Liverpool with Geoff making almost 300 appearances for the Iron over a 9 year period, which included a few appearances at Roots Hall alongside Kevin Keegan who then followed Ray Clemence to Liverpool in 1971.
:Clap::LoyalSupporter::Clap:

Do we have any photos of the last major upgrade to Roots Hall? The construction of the South Stand? Must have been around 94? Wasn't it partly the Collymore transfer fee that funded it?

Back