• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Out of the League?

• Hope they get relegated and go out of business

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Hope they languish for years in non-league

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • Hope they survive and stay in League Two

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Hope they come back and join us in League One as rivals

Votes: 65 32.3%

• Total voters
That would be a few Orient fans, a few Col U fans, IMO, rather than their entire support. There are a few SUFC fans who don't always show this club in a good light either!

It's not easy to get a decent coloured flare into Roots Hall these days you know!

It always amuses me when questions like this get treated as moral conundrums (which, to be clear, I don't believe that South Bank Hank has aimed to do here).

You know going in to any given season how many clubs will go up or down from each division. If you choose to root for one in particular then you're not seeking to lessen the sum of human suffering in the face of nasty people who'd add to it. You're just cheering for the agony to be displaced elsewhere. With that established it seems to me that if a timely lesson in humility for any particular club gives you a schadenfreude-tastic thrill then you might as well milk it for all you can get out of it.

I've nothing against Newport or Cheltenham, and no reason to wish ill upon them. I quite like what's going on at Exeter and wish them well with it. My experience of Colchester includes some of the worst experiences I've had of any other club's fans and I find this denouement an absolute delight after all that's gone before. Your mileage may vary - many of our fans still dislike Birmingham, who I can't personally get worked up about. Seems easier to me that we just chalk these things up to difference of taste and root for who we please.

I prefer having our rivals around, as derby games mean more. But if they get relegated I'll laugh my arse off.

At the moment I'm enjoying being in a higher division than them. In an ideal world though i would like them in the same division, struggling to stay up and giving us 12 points a season. You can't beat those derby days for atmosphere and intensity, and I would like at least one of them as a regular game.

Would only ever wish 'out of business' on two clubs - west ham and Franchise FC, both of them deserve it for different reasons. Obviously great fun to see Col Ewe struggling and seeing them drop into the Conference where they belong would be great, but then again I'd miss the derby matches.

Orient are not a rival IMO.

I agree, Col Ewe are our only true "real rivals"... what with the history, as well as both teams over the years, having the bragging rights of "only One Team in Essex", brings out both the worst and the best of us (hence OBL's comments about Tommy running from the Lego stadium to Roots Hall for his sick son, and a certain Shrimper, running with him also, not to mention there generous amounts we gave on the day).... but also the idiot that rushed the north bank on his own!

For me, if there was a "sub category" for rivals, It would be:

1. Gillingham (it's like Essex V Kent in the Cricket)

2. Leyton Orient (They annoy me like a "scab" on my leg after an accident... I just want to scratch the "annoying thing" off ).

3. Dagenham & Redbridge (A bit like a poxy mosquito on a hot summers night..you want to swat it, but you cant find it, but the bloody thing keeps coming back for more blood)

4. Mk Dons.. (Purely on the basis that they are Franchise Fc, & a lot more so, Also my worst ever away game back in the old stadium sitting on scaffolding and got hypothermia!)

Other than that I have no issues. :smile:

Last edited:
'Interesting' to see our local 'rivals' Orient and Col U floundering at the foot of the League 2 table with the trapdoor of relegation from the Football League a potential reality.

Wondered how we felt about that?

For me, I only "hate" them on the day then get on with my life. I certainly don't need to see them put out into the footballing wilderness, even if it would give us local bragging rights for a long time to come. In many ways, despite the extra fingers, intra-family over-affection and a life lived in our shadow, their footballing allegiance is much like our own.

Do you want to see them go out of the League (and worse?)
well people dislike me for not backing Cox (he is poor IMO) but I never have the hatred for rivalry, loved the games against a local team, wish they were with us this season, come on Col U...... let's have 2 games a term with you.

well people dislike me for not backing Cox (he is poor IMO) but I never have the hatred for rivalry, loved the games against a local team, wish they were with us this season, come on Col U...... let's have 2 games a term with you.

Why stop there?

Whilst their languishing in a non professional football league, we could still have the opportunity to whip them within the inch of their lives in the Essex Senior Cup, the Fa Cup & the League Cup! each and every year! :hilarious:

Perhaps, if the checkatrade trophy changes it's rules, we might get the opportunity to do it 4 times a season! :thumbsup:

It is always best to keep a good joke running. Years of laughter at Col U in obscurity would be amazing.
I do not really feel same about O's. Take 'em or leave 'em to be honest. For me, they are a recent rivalry and not in the same league as out webbed feet friends up the A12.
Would I be happy to see either go out of business? Definitely not!! They both serve their community (Col U seems a tiny community to be honest) and have fans who care. I just love mocking them.

Wouldn't like to see them go bust but I would love to see them both relegated. Just because of the stick they gave us when we were league two and they were both league one.

I'd be happy to have them back in FL1 with us. Not a lot of use having bragging rights if we haven't been able to
administer some severe wallopings
in the process. Also, it would be nice if they made FL1 and we waved them goodbye as we rocketed up to the Championship.

Did you have to bring last seasons games up again !

Why would you want Col Ewe or Borient togo out of business ,im on the other side of the world ,but when we play them ,i read the threads here approaching the games and the excitement it brings to some of you,local derbies tend to do that,after the games i again read your threads on the joy or doom of either winning or losing to them.Only 1 club i would like to see demise and thats Birmingham ,now that would be Karma mmmmmmmmmmm:smile:

If Leyton Orient went out of business it would devastate the counterfeit designer clothing industry in East London.

I'm probably the opposite to most on here in that I hate Orient with much more passion than Colchester. In my time following the Blues (about 16 years) we've spent more time in the same division as Orient than we have our Essex neighbours.

And for me that's what it's all about. As others have said, what's the point in having a rival if you can't have a couple of derby games a season against them. They are normally the first ones I look for when the fixtures come out.

At the Col Ewe away game last season, I got up there early and spent some time chatting to their fans whilst queuing for the car park. Every club has its ********s but these were just fellow lower leagu football lovers. They were pretty down about their chances of survival and just asked who our decent players were, etc. I kinda walked away from it doubting whether I still get worked up enough about local rivalries to hate opposition fans now I'm in my thirties.

Mind you, it always seems to all come rushing back whenever we play that mob from Birdbrain Road!

I'm probably the opposite to most on here in that I hate Orient with much more passion than Colchester. In my time following the Blues (about 16 years) we've spent more time in the same division as Orient than we have our Essex neighbours.

And for me that's what it's all about. As others have said, what's the point in having a rival if you can't have a couple of derby games a season against them. They are normally the first ones I look for when the fixtures come out.

At the Col Ewe away game last season, I got up there early and spent some time chatting to their fans whilst queuing for the car park. Every club has its ********s but these were just fellow lower leagu football lovers. They were pretty down about their chances of survival and just asked who our decent players were, etc. I kinda walked away from it doubting whether I still get worked up enough about local rivalries to hate opposition fans now I'm in my thirties.

Mind you, it always seems to all come rushing back whenever we play that mob from Birdbrain Road!

Kind of agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I don't like either of them but Orient's fans always seem more gobby and annoying than the inbreds

Back