• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Gardening Thread.

Hi all, any chance of a gardening page on here? Dull to some I know, but to some of us it's a hobby. Thanks.
Great idea Rob I like to potter around in the garden myself,not an expert,so I look forward to ideas and tips from other zoners,

Gardening advice.Be careful when cutting down branches off trees/bushes.Our daughter's boyfriend was doing this the day before yesterday and he got a splinter in his hand (despite wearing gloves).Had to go to the Doc's yesterday, (fortunately he's all right) but he's now on a week long course of antibiotics and has to go back to the Doc on Monday.He's planning to do the barbecue today.Think I'll take an executive role again. :Winking:

Got Badgers attacking my shared garden for the last 2 months in the middle of the night. They dig up huge holes in the lawn looking for worms and grass shoots. Just got the lawn looking great as well, now ruined. They break the bottom of fence panels with their powerful claws and teeth. Sometimes they dig a tunnel under the fence. They even broke into my shed, ripping the bottom of one side. Absolute nightmare. Everytime I mend and reinforce a fence panel, they attack another one. Protected species, so I have to be kind to them apparently. Security lights don't worry them at all now. They leave my neighbours gardens alone for some reason. I've put down the stuff and smells they don't like as advised on the internet. It makes no difference to this set of Badgers. Any ideas how to stop them anyone?

Got Badgers attacking my shared garden for the last 2 months in the middle of the night. They dig up huge holes in the lawn looking for worms and grass shoots. Just got the lawn looking great as well, now ruined. They break the bottom of fence panels with their powerful claws and teeth. Sometimes they dig a tunnel under the fence. They even broke into my shed, ripping the bottom of one side. Absolute nightmare. Everytime I mend and reinforce a fence panel, they attack another one. Protected species, so I have to be kind to them apparently. Security lights don't worry them at all now. They leave my neighbours gardens alone for some reason. I've put down the stuff and smells they don't like as advised on the internet. It makes no difference to this set of Badgers. Any ideas how to stop them anyone?
1589973746079.png

They are protected so you're pretty much knackered really. One bit of advise, stay clear, they don't interact with each other very well let alone humans and can fight like demons.

Like foxes, badgers don't like human closeness so a simple way is identifying where they are accessing the area and urinate in that spot and likely they will change their route and go elsewhere.
Obviously standing with your appendage out might not be best so a bootle?

Like foxes, badgers don't like human closeness so a simple way is identifying where they are accessing the area and urinate in that spot and likely they will change their route and go elsewhere.
Obviously standing with your appendage out might not be best so a bootle?

I tried that but my back garden started to smell like the stairwell in a multi storey carpark.

We have badgers in the space to the rear of our garden and they occasionally have little excursions into our garden. This has increased in frequency over the last couple of years since our neighbour got a dog an started to block the access hole they had into his garden and the holes they'd made for their run.

Also, I've recently had my garden totally landscaped and it's looking lovely with new lawn and I spoke to the gardener about what might ward them off.

His advice was to spray the areas they come in with male urine! There have been a few times where they've come in the garden and caused some minor damage but that's usually when I've not sprayed for a week or two.

I got one of these, wee into it regularly and spary every few days around the access points.

1589977432329.png

It stinks when you undo the bottle, but it's preferable to a 10k fine or prison!

The badgers we have are under a garage block at the rear of our garden and have loads of ways in and out so they're not solely restricted to my garden, which may be a difference...

One other thing we have heard about is to ball up some chicken wire and place that down the hole. It's not a permanent block, but they don't like coming across it when they're leaving the set.

good luck.

We have badgers in the space to the rear of our garden and they occasionally have little excursions into our garden. This has increased in frequency over the last couple of years since our neighbour got a dog an started to block the access hole they had into his garden and the holes they'd made for their run.

Also, I've recently had my garden totally landscaped and it's looking lovely with new lawn and I spoke to the gardener about what might ward them off.

His advice was to spray the areas they come in with male urine! There have been a few times where they've come in the garden and caused some minor damage but that's usually when I've not sprayed for a week or two.

I got one of these, wee into it regularly and spary every few days around the access points.

View attachment 12164

It stinks when you undo the bottle, but it's preferable to a 10k fine or prison!

The badgers we have are under a garage block at the rear of our garden and have loads of ways in and out so they're not solely restricted to my garden, which may be a difference...

One other thing we have heard about is to ball up some chicken wire and place that down the hole. It's not a permanent block, but they don't like coming across it when they're leaving the set.

good luck.

Yes, tried the urine spray thing, in different strengths suggested (Ratio mixed with water) and didnt work. Also put the chicken wire up on mended holes and fence panels. But they just break through another fence panel or dig another tunnel. The gardens at the back of me are really long, with the houses a fair bit away. Half of these gardens are like a jungle, as some of the older residents can't maintain them. They are so long that half have small dwellings or bungalows built and added in the back garden. The Badgers have a big area to roam, but reading up on them, they may wander in many gardens during the night, but tend to attack the same very few lawns.

I had foxes digging up my newly laid turf,i tried all the mentioned but no luck,then I was adviced to use chilli powder, bingo it worked.

Put the balled up wire in their access holes. Apparently.

I said I did that, and reinforced the broken fence with more wood and wire, as they don't like their paws catching the wire. So that stops that entrance, and they just make another. To date, they have made 11 entrances.

Back