• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Grand Final - 1976-78 vs 1988-90

Which is the finest kit in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
We started with 41 diffferent kits and are now down to 2. So which kit is worthy of being the greatest kit in SUFC's history? Well that's for you to decide....

southend_united_1976-1978-al.gif

vs

southend_united_1988-1990-bh.gif

Click here if you can't see the images

Sticking with my choice, I guess it has a lot to do with "your" era and the Firholm was at a time when I wasn't going to matches.

While the Hi-tec kit was my first shirt, a spot of yellow always makes me happy. Unlike red which makes me want to vomit.

Firlhom 88-90 all the way.

Can't believe that a poor man's Shrewsbury kit is running away with this. I know we achieved great things while wearing it, but that doesn't excuse the crap design.

Yeah, those terrible days of back to back promotions and maintaing a second tier status..... ;)

Not to be a pedant but we only wore a blue/yellow kit in our first season in the second tier and our last. So we could say the Yellow influenced our decline as well as our initial rise. :p

Not to be a pedant but we only wore a blue/yellow kit in our first season in the second tier and our last. So we could say the Yellow influenced our decline as well as our initial rise. :p

That's ok, I know how much you loathe being a pedant ;) I was actually referring to that first season when I said maintaining our status in the second tier as otherwise the achievement would only be equal to a few seasons ago when we did the double promotion without yellow :p

YEeeeeelllloooooowwsss.....yeeellllooooowwssss

It's official then. 1988-90 is the greatest home kit in the history of Southend United. Here it is in its full glory

southend-united-home-shirt-1988-to-1990-s_4242_1_500x400.jpg

Thanks to everyone who voted throughout the Battle - it's been fun.

Looking at the 88-90 kit makes me go all teary-eyed.

I get that, usually just before I'm about to be sick! Sorry these two kits must be my worst ever. As a true orriginal blue and white man of the sixties I hated the inclusion of the red fancy bits on the sleeves and shorts and the yellow which is fine for our second strip has no place whatsoever on any home shirt. We have had over the years just about every colour combination and shade of blue which for me tampers with any tradition that the club tries to build up over the years and leaves supporters of other clubs saying, '' oh Southend, yes they play in Blue and white.... errrr red ...errr yellow.... errrrr black... errrr skyblue... errr silver .... or is it just blue nowadays???

Back