• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Grand Hotel and TOWIE

Such a lovely building, so glad it's going to be rescued. And making it a 'boutique hotel' is a great idea - there's been nowhere to stay in Leigh since the Grand closed. Come to think of it, was it still a functioning hotel when it closed?? Never known anyone who's stayed there!

Such a lovely building, so glad it's going to be rescued. And making it a 'boutique hotel' is a great idea - there's been nowhere to stay in Leigh since the Grand closed. Come to think of it, was it still a functioning hotel when it closed?? Never known anyone who's stayed there!

Laurel & Hardy apparently.

It was.I've stayed there several times.In fact, for my money, it was the best(in terms of location)and certainly the cheapest hotel in the town.Can't say I like the idea of a boutique hotel that much and hope the "spa" idea doesn't get planning permission.Glad to hear(after 3 years)that there's a chance it may be re-opening again next year.Already booked the Westcliff for our last home match of the season against Maccs in May but would be prepared to switch.:thumbsup:
Would agree with MC about it being a decent boozer too!

Leigh doesn't need a Spa. It already has a Costcutter and a CoOp in case you run out of lager before 10pm.

It was.I've stayed there several times.In fact, for my money, it was the best(in terms of location)and certainly the cheapest hotel in the town.Can't say I like the idea of a boutique hotel that much and hope the "spa" idea doesn't get planning permission.Glad to hear(after 3 years)that there's a chance it may be re-opening again next year.Already booked the Westcliff for our last home match of the season against Maccs in May but would be prepared to switch.:thumbsup:
Would agree with MC about it being a decent boozer too!

Whats wrong with it being a boutique hotel or spa?

Whats wrong with it being a boutique hotel or spa?

Spas are fine (IMO)in Budapest.A boutique hotel would almost certainly lose my custom unless it's cheaper than(or the same price as) the Westcliff.
The old Grand was great value for money.All the rooms had been nicely done up a few years before it was closed.The breakfast was crap(but there are several good places nearby).The staff were poor but then again Britain doesn't usually do service industries that well(IMO).

That will make 2 Boutique hotels in Leigh then, as The Sand Bar are already doing one.

Spas are fine (IMO)in Budapest.A boutique hotel would almost certainly lose my custom unless it's cheaper than(or the same price as) the Westcliff.
The old Grand was great value for money.All the rooms had been nicely done up a few years before it was closed.The breakfast was crap(but there are several good places nearby).The staff were poor but then again Britain doesn't usually do service industries that well(IMO).

I would say though that a boutique hotel would offer a greater level of service but generally you do pay for it, that's why i like them. Fewer people, better service. Having the facility of a spa in my opinion can only be a good thing, don't you like a nice massage Barna? Maybe that's where your going wrong, you need to either get laid or have a good massage to relieve all the angst you have?

Wasn't too impressed by the Spas I've seen in Bath(not really my thing tbh).Had no idea that Hockley is now a spa town.:omg:
(Last time I was there someone threw a punch at me in the changing room, after a youth league match).
i guess that's what happens when you try to bum a straight bloke

I would say though that a boutique hotel would offer a greater level of service but generally you do pay for it, that's why i like them. Fewer people, better service. Having the facility of a spa in my opinion can only be a good thing, don't you like a nice massage Barna? Maybe that's where your going wrong, you need to either get laid or have a good massage to relieve all the angst you have?
shock horror you mean you pay MORE MONEY to be away from the general public and get a better service? the lefties are going to have a real laugh at your stupidity.

Can't say I've had a massage since I used to go up to a Turkish baths in town as a teenager with my father (and younger brother-not Shrimpero-the other one).
I'll pass on your other suggestion to Mrs BB.:winking:

Over the past couple of years some people seem to have Leigh confused with Monte Carlo.

That said a couple of boutique hotels and a grand price could really put the place on the map.

Personally, I think it would be a shame if the Grand was lost to those of us ordinary mortals who wouldn't frequent a boutique hotel or spa. Now, if it was to be a boutique hotel, spa AND drinking establishment then that would get my nod of approval! The Grand's history as a watering hole (of the alcoholic as opposed to the health giving variety) is integral to Leigh and as such it should be available to the local folk - although maybe a dress code might be appropriate.

Back