• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Great Train Debate

The Great Train Debate -

• C2C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FGE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian C @ Jan. 20 2004,15:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Jan. 19 2004,23:17)]Can someone tell me why FGE had it taken away ?
Luke,

They were rejected from the 'bidding' at a very early stage. National Express, Anglia and Arriva were the 'preferred bidders'. No one except the SRA really know why, but there must have been something going on they didn't like.

FirstGroup got shirty and threatened legal action but then decided not to, so they then went and bought out GB Rail (who own Anglia). So the SRA gave it to National Express instead.......

I don't rate First myself (as a daily user of FGE), they could have done a lot more than they have. I think they've treated the line as a 'cash cow'. It is one of the most profitable in the country. Just be thankful it's not Arriva, they aren't very good at all.

Sorry, you did ask!!!!!
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif
So do national express own C2C ?

So i take it the Liv Street line will completely change ?

New trains etc
More stops ?
More delays

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Jan. 22 2004,15:29)]So i take it the Liv Street line will completely change ?

New trains etc
More stops ?
More delays
I don't think you'll find much will change at all, except all the trains into Liv St will be run by the same company instead of FGE, Anglia and WAGN. So no more blaming each other for the delays, which was frequent between FGE and Anglia until First bought GB Rail.

The current Anglia services will probably get newer coaches for the Norwich services, that'll be about it. The services work quite well as it is really.

AC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Jan. 22 2004,15:29)]So i take it the Liv Street line will completely change ?

New trains etc
More stops ?
More delays
Good question and I think Napster was too optimistic in his answer.

At the moment there is a healthy fares competition between both routes, when they are both owned by the same company I can see this disappearing.

However on the plus side I would have thought ticket validity on both lines (like the good old days) is something that should come. My original seaso used to be valid from Southend Central to Fen Street and Southend Vic to Liv St.

I've only been back on the trains for about 3 years after 8 years of driving in and they are a massive improvement on what I was used to before. Even with the landslip between Wickford + Billericay and a couple of fun journeys home last summer overall the service is excellent. I'm still at a loss to see what First actually did that warranted not getting an invite to tender for the franchise.

Nothing wrong with the trains on FGE or C2C as far as I can see. The only criticisms I have are legroom but that applies to just about any train in the country. Certainly don't miss the smoking carriage (and I smoke!).

Originally I was an LTS man - Limehouse was Stepney East in those days, which was actually a name change from the original Limehouse. I occassionally used to get a Tilbury loop train to relieve the boredom. Tilbury Riverside was always fun to stop at and I used to use this route for awaydays to Gillingham.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 27 2004,08:17)]But pikies from Wickford
oi
tounge.gif

mind you, I'm a Rayleigh boy really...and I live in Shotgate
biggrin.gif

I had to use a FGE train from Romford to Ipswich on Saturday and although it was fast which benefited us at the time, i thought the train was a lot worse than the C2C one, with it's interior state. It was dirty, seating was nasty and wasnt pleasant to travel on......I hope the new FGE trains are an improvement as they look a lot like C2C on the outside and hopefully are like them on the inside.

Thank god this thread aint about Anglia trains as well, as i can say a lot about them.......
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vange Shrimper @ Jan. 27 2004,09:24)]I had to use a FGE train from Romford to Ipswich on Saturday and although it was fast which benefited us at the time, i thought the train was a lot worse than the C2C one, with it's interior state. It was dirty, seating was nasty and wasnt pleasant to travel on......I hope the new FGE trains are an improvement as they look a lot like C2C on the outside and hopefully are like them on the inside.

Thank god this thread aint about Anglia trains as well, as i can say a lot about them.......
biggrin.gif
Trouble is VS, First are not really going to give two figs about it now.

As for Anglia, nope they aren't great, but don't have the financial backing to do much about their problems (unlike First, who do, but do naff all anyway)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vange Shrimper @ Jan. 27 2004,09:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Jan. 27 2004,09:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 27 2004,07:46)]Yes and no pikies from Basildon,
OI!!

Oh, hang on, fair one!  
biggrin.gif
Oit!  
tounge.gif
Oh come on, he isn't saying ALL people from Basildon are pikies - but you've got to admit there are a lot of pikies in Basildon....
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Jan. 27 2004,09:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vange Shrimper @ Jan. 27 2004,09:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Jan. 27 2004,09:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 27 2004,07:46)]Yes and no pikies from Basildon,
OI!!

Oh, hang on, fair one!  
biggrin.gif
Oit!  
tounge.gif
Oh come on, he isn't saying ALL people from Basildon are pikies - but you've got to admit there are a lot of pikies in Basildon....  
laugh.gif
Especially in the Pitsea Area - Plus there are loads of PPP's there.........
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 27 2004,09:50)]What is a PPP?

Is it anything like a TBM (Tower block mum)?
Pitsea Pram Pusher - all under the age of 19. Wear so much gold jewellery it weighs them down, all in shell suits (remember them) or sports gear. All live on the dole/benefits, complain they have no money but still can afford £60+ for a gold necklace or bracelet, etc.

Back