• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
The dramatic consequences of not having been able kill Oldham off on Saturday are now laid bare, for everyone to see. This has set me wondering just how many other times this teasing scenario of knowing we have a 'big club' draw, if only we can get through to the next round, has occured. From what I can remember the historic is not too promising. Everyone can think of that loss at Scarborough in January 2004, which denied us another crack at Chelsea. I can remember, when still working at the then Hoffmann's in Chelmsford, going out in my lunch break to listen, on the car radio, to Fourth Round draw in January 1971. WWWHHHHHOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!.................Tottenham. All we had to do was to get past Carlisle, who were a league above us at that time, in our postponed Third Round match! Standing in the North Bank, the match proved night of total dejection, when Carlisle completely outclassed us and won three nil.
Can anyone remember similar instances and perhaps one where we actually won through to play 'the big game?'

2007 Yogi .. 4th Round draw

Tottenham or Blackpool v Southend or Barnsley

Spurs 4 Blackpool 0
Barnsley 0 SUFC 2

simples ...

I remember the Scarborough game only too well. Freezing cold (I bought a fleece at the services), my pastie had no filling and the tea was barely warm. Lost 1-0, got home 03:30 and was up at 7 for work the same morning. Oh the joys of being a Shrimper! :loyalsupporter:

The dramatic consequences of not having been able kill Oldham off on Saturday are now laid bare, for everyone to see. This has set me wondering just how many other times this teasing scenario of knowing we have a 'big club' draw, if only we can get through to the next round, has occured. From what I can remember the historic is not too promising. Everyone can think of that loss at Scarborough in January 2004, which denied us another crack at Chelsea. I can remember, when still working at the then Hoffmann's in Chelmsford, going out in my lunch break to listen, on the car radio, to Fourth Round draw in January 1971. WWWHHHHHOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!.................Tottenham. All we had to do was to get past Carlisle, who were a league above us at that time, in our postponed Third Round match! Standing in the North Bank, the match proved night of total dejection, when Carlisle completely outclassed us and won three nil.
Can anyone remember similar instances and perhaps one where we actually won through to play 'the big game?'

I remember that very well, IIRC the game was played on a Monday night, we went to the Elms afterwards to drown our sorrows and a few of the Spurs players came in for a drink. Among them was Martin Chivers & Pat Jennings, Chivers was the size of a brick *********.

Not quite a miss as such, but 1968/69 we played Mansfield in the 4th Round at Field Mill, we lost 2-1 , the got Scum Ham in the next round and beat them 3-0.

Well for a start wasn't it Liverpool vs Southend or Barnsley in 2007? Campbell-Ryce scored and we lost 1-0....Barnsley went to Anfield and knocked Liverpool out! :unsure:

Well for a start wasn't it Liverpool vs Southend or Barnsley in 2007? Campbell-Ryce scored and we lost 1-0....Barnsley went to Anfield and knocked Liverpool out! :unsure:

Followed by Chelsea who were also beaten as the Tykes got to Wembley .. though technically Barnsley knocked us out before the draw was made

1987 Northampton winner was away to Newcastle at the time we had never played them. Played out a classic 4-4 draw at the hall. We were winning 2-1 at half-time in the replay and things were going well then the ref gets injured and one of the linesmen take over. Game changes drastically as this guy cant keep control and awards them 2 very dodgy penalties and we go out 3-2. Then we get keep in for about 30 minutes firstly seeing their fans celebrate on the field and having to wait for the police to **** us off further but keeping us in for no real reason.

i'm sure we beat Watford in replay to get through to play Liverpool in 78/79

Correct. I was at the first Watford game which I think ended 1-1. The draw for r3 was on the coach radio coming home...fantastic. The rest is history!

Not quite Yogi, they were near the top of division 2 going for promotion to the top flight and we were a rotten Div 4 side who were languishing near the bottom of the table at that time.

I bring glad tidings :happy:
Doing research for another thread, I found that if you go back to 1957 we went to Torquay in the Second Round of the Cup and got a 1-1 draw. I'm assuming that third Round draw must have been made before the replay, which we won 2-1, to set up an away tie to ..................LIVERPOOL!

2007 Yogi .. 4th Round draw

Tottenham or Blackpool v Southend or Barnsley

Spurs 4 Blackpool 0
Barnsley 0 SUFC 2

simples ...

But didn't we play Spurs twice in a month? After we beat Man Ure and then in the FA Cup? Because I remember sitting under the upper tier then at the front of the stand.

Correct. I was at the first Watford game which I think ended 1-1. The draw for r3 was on the coach radio coming home...fantastic. The rest is history!
I was at those games, and on that coach. A great cup year. I can still see Polycarpou scoring in front of the South Bank against Watford, and Derrick Parker fluffing a chance in the snow against the scousers. My mum wouldn't let me go to the Liverpool replay as I had O'levels to fail, so I'd love to go this time. Can't see it, though.

I was at those games, and on that coach. A great cup year. I can still see Polycarpou scoring in front of the South Bank against Watford, and Derrick Parker fluffing a chance in the snow against the scousers. My mum wouldn't let me go to the Liverpool replay as I had O'levels to fail, so I'd love to go this time. Can't see it, though.

Wise man say everything comes to he who waits:winking:. Fingers crossed!

Back