• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane The Kursaal ground

He was rotund. Sometimes had a brownish beard.
Yes, I can see him now, knew his son, a real 'mini-me' of his Dad! Remember that place next to Wonderland you mentioned, though it's his brother I remember seeing once in the cashiers hut, and it was indeed very quiet! Wasn't it also at the far end of the seafront past the Kursaal and the pubs and most people were spending their money by the arcades from Pier Hill up to just past the Hope, Las Vegas was a popular one I think.
Did some time on the bingo for a while there, collecting cash off the punters; at the end of my first day I was short of the change they'd given me to start and it was taken out of my wages, I found out it was the norm for rookies to get money out of their bags stolen by the more 'experienced' workers, I kept all the dosh given to me close to my chest after that!

Yes, I can see him now, knew his son, a real 'mini-me' of his Dad! Remember that place next to Wonderland you mentioned, though it's his brother I remember seeing once in the cashiers hut, and it was indeed very quiet! Wasn't it also at the far end of the seafront past the Kursaal and the pubs and most people were spending their money by the arcades from Pier Hill up to just past the Hope, Las Vegas was a popular one I think.
Did some time on the bingo for a while there, collecting cash off the punters; at the end of my first day I was short of the change they'd given me to start and it was taken out of my wages, I found out it was the norm for rookies to get money out of their bags stolen by the more 'experienced' workers, I kept all the dosh given to me close to my chest after that!
Yes Wonderland is past the Kursaal opposite the Sea Life Centre. Barry's place was next door. So it was the very last amusement arcade on the Golden Mile.

Reactions: TSG
Shame there's no sound on those clips, loved that rattly old wooden roller coaster in the Kursaal - was still going strong in the early 80s and we'd often be down there on a weekend with friends.

Ok, that’s in black and white so which one are we? The darker or lighter shirts?
I think we are in the lighter shirts here's a match Report

Saturday 20th February 1926
F.A, Cup Round 5
SOUTHEND UNITED 0-1 NOTTM. FOREST

Nottingham Forest had been in the First Division the previous season but had been relegated to the Second Division and were struggling in this lower section, in theory Forest should have been easier opposition than Derby. The Fifth round of the cup had just two Third Division sides left in it, Southend and Millwall, and the game at the Kursaal had the smallest attendance of any in the competition, that day but the crowd of just over 18,000 was easily a new record for the ground. Without extra banking it was doubtful if many more could have got in.

The band was reinforced to give a full pre match programme as the ground started to fill an hour before kick off Forest were first onto the ground to a hearty cheer from some hundreds of Nottingham enthusiasts, however this was nothing compared to the noise when Southend took the field. The first half was quite even and tense neither side wanting to commit too much too soon. The second half started in explosive manner within a couple of minutes a good Southend move resulted in the goalkeeper having trouble keeping the ball out of the net and the crowd behind the goal definitely thought that the ball had crossed the line, but the referee waved play on. The crowd was irate and the team seemed unsettled and during the next twenty minutes Forest took possession of the game and scored the all important goal. The Blues regained their composure and tried their hardest to gain the elusive equaliser, but in vain. Team: Moore; French and Sayles; Jewhurst, O’Rawe and Andrews; Morris, Bissett, Hick, Shaw and Smith.

T
here was another letter in the Southend Standard complaining about the behaviour of the crowd, claiming bad sportsmanship and hostility towards Forest fans, and claiming that no one behind the goal had claimed the ball had crossed the line, the Standard printed the letter but also a disclaimer stating that he did not think that Forest had been received at all badly and certainly everybody behind the goal claimed the goal should have been given in unison. It seems “give a dog a bad name” and there are plenty of people who will join in.

A former resident of Southend now living in London wrote to the standard about the behaviour of the crowd. He stated that he had played for many years and that he now lived away from the borough and had seen many other crowds, but he confirmed that in his opinion the crowd at the Kursaal enclosure were badly behaved. Much of this he put down to ignorance of the rules, and lack of understanding of the problems of players. Much of the trouble stemmed from this ignorance

Nottm Forest drew Bolton at home in the 6th Round, this tie went to three matches before Bolton finally won through to the semi final and they became the eventual winners beating Manchester City in the final.

Back