• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane The Kursaal ground

Does anybody know which 3 roads going North-South are on view in the photo? Trying to get bearings of exactly where it was situated.
From the right, its Park Lane, Leamington Rd and Cheltenham Rd. Woodgrange Drive at the bottom of those and York Road running across from Park Lane, right to left. For my next geographical masterclass I'll be describing the origins of Belgian provinces.

in 1928 the small West Stands was replaced:

UNITED’S NEW STAND

Ground Accommodation increased - Consideration for the “Shilling Supporters”

The Directors of Southend United Football Club on Tuesday night decided to proceed with a scheme for the erection of a stand on the western side of the ground, immediately opposite the existing grandstand. The work will be proceeded with immediately and it is hoped it will be completed within a period of two months. The directors of the club are to be congratulated upon their enterprise, for the new stand will meet a long felt need on the Kursaal ground and will provide covered accommodation for an additional 3,500 people. The new stand will be 180 feet long and 40 feet wide with a maximum height of 25feet. It will therefore be almost the same length as the existing grandstand on the eastern side and twice as deep. At the present time the whole of the west side holds fewer than 500 but the new stand will hold 3,500 who will be able to witness the match under cover. Entrance to the stand will be by four staircases at the back of the stand making it accessible from all parts of the ground

From the Southend Standard 4th October 1928
1686747359659.png

So both East and West Stands were now covered while the North and South Banks were open. ILike Roots Hall used to be the East was seated while the West for standing.

In cold weather it could be a very beak place with cold winds from the sea whirling around the ground. At least this new stand gave some cover to the everyday bob" supporter

IMG_0398.jpeg

UNITED’S NEW STAND

The Directors of Southend United Football Club on Tuesday night decided to proceed with a scheme for the erection of a stand on the western side of the ground, immediately opposite the existing grandstand. The work will be proceeded with immediately and it is hoped it will be completed within a period of two months. The directors of the club are to be congratulated upon their enterprise, for the new stand will meet a long felt need on the Kursaal ground and will provide covered accommodation for an additional 3,500 people. The new stand will be 180 feet long and 40 feet wide with a maximum height of 25feet. It will therefore be almost the same length as the existing grandstand on the eastern side and twice as deep. At the present time the whole of the west side holds fewer than 500 but the new stand will hold 3,500 who will be able to witness the match under cover. Entrance to the stand will be by four staircases at the back of the stand making it accessible from all parts of the ground

View attachment 26763

So both East and West Stands were now covered while the North and South Banks were open. ILike Roots Hall used to be the East was seated while the West for standing.

In cold weather it could be a very beak place with cold winds from the sea whirling around the ground. At least this new stand gave some cover to the everyday bob" supporter

UNITED’S NEW STAND

View attachment 26763

Picture above taken from Peter Mason’s Official History of the Blues.
My mum was receptionist and telephone operator at the Blues’ next ground, the dog track in Sutton Road - where Matalan is now. I saw my first match there, aged six or seven. Although a working class Southend lass, she would adopt the voice of a young Queen Elizabeth when she answered the phone.

+ it had the amazing "Wall Of Death" and I saw it.
YOU SAW IT ,I RODE ON IT ,MY FATHER HAD A RIFLE RANGE JUST 100 METRES FROM IT IN THE kURSAAL
Wall of death also featured in a movie ot the same title .Moorhouse who owned most of that i believe was also at one time a director on the SUFC board, think he was also my brother Keiths god father ,not sure of that though.

The ride next to the ground was called The Water Chute. You came down it in a boat resembling a World War II landing craft. The ride was still there in the Sixties when I (and Helen Mirren) worked in the Kursaal.
i worked in the Kursaal in the sixties also
and in the 50s
i worked for the Frenchies
The ride at the back is the water chute and behind that is Woodgrange Drive I believe. Hope that helps
there was ST LENARDS ROAD , ALBERT ROAD ,CANT THINK OF THE OTHERS THEY ALL RAN OFF OF YORK ROAD,

Our family share a bit of history with the kursaal, after my father sold the rifle range there ,he worked for Moorhouse, did all the maintenace work etc of most of the rides also painting of them , my brother David also helped my father , my father was the person that painted the Kursaal flyer and brother David maintained it keeping it looking smart, My second eldest brother Reg worked for the frenchies and when he left i took over from him, before that when i was much younger i used to sit in a shed behind the dog racing gme the frenchies had and picked the Whelks ( yuk ) was so smelly. My brother Reg also rode pillion passenger on the back of one of the bikes on the Wall of Death. So many memories

Found this recently…..was post us playing there but still interesting

Found this recently…..was post us playing there but still interesting
As most of you know the wall of death wasnt by the pier , Peter Pans playground was by the pier ,wall of death was in the Kursaal I remember Cindy Willis ,there was also another young lad came along to ride but he fell off and broke his leg, You needed to get up to a speed of 60mph to keep the bike from falling of the wall. In you tube there is also one from Pathe news back in 1963 of the Kursaal Flyer in that is my Brother David cleaning the chimney of the Kursaal flyer, if any off you have seen it hes the young man wearing glasses ,think he was 21 then..

Last edited:
Way off subject, I also worked at the Kursaal in the sixties, for the Lecorgne brothers, Barry and Peter, on the Rifles, .22 shorts, would never be allowed today also their Ghost Train, my sister worked for the Strauss brothers. Then, there were Dave Miller and his son, and John Dansie. Memories, memories.........

Way off subject, I also worked at the Kursaal in the sixties, for the Lecorgne brothers, Barry and Peter, on the Rifles, .22 shorts, would never be allowed today also their Ghost Train, my sister worked for the Strauss brothers. Then, there were Dave Miller and his son, and John Dansie. Memories, memories..
Many memories of the Kursaal, not the Football ground I have to admit, but a school trip to the amusement park in 1964, and seeing many a band in the Seventies!

However, apologies as continuing the 'off subject' theme, but didn't Barry and Peter go on to run attractions at the end of Southend Pier? I worked their for three consecutive summers 75 to 77, in the cafe 75 as a 'chef', certain I saw them around, Barry was a big bloke as I recall.

Way off subject, I also worked at the Kursaal in the sixties, for the Lecorgne brothers, Barry and Peter, on the Rifles, .22 shorts, would never be allowed today also their Ghost Train, my sister worked for the Strauss brothers. Then, there were Dave Miller and his son, and John Dansie. Memories, memories.........
After The Kursaal exploits, Barry Lecorgne went on to take over the amusement arcade next to Wonderland. It was the least popular arcade on the seafront, as it had the worst amusement machines, and not many of them. People would walk in there, and then end up in Wonderland next door that had a lot more going on. He turned it into an American pool 9 ball hall. Everyone knew reds and yellows, or spots and stripes 8 ball, but no one knew this 9 ball game played on bigger tables, with no nap and lightning fast cloths, where you have to pot balls in order 1 to 9. It was a much harder game and didn't take off. I actually love the game now, and it's now on the smaller sports channels a lot. Efren Reyes being the best ever player in my opinion. Anyway, I played all summer in Barry's pinball competition there, and I won with the highest score. It was a mystery prize, but he kept telling everyone it was a brilliant mystery prize. So the end of season, I went to collect my prize, and the pool hall had shut down, Lol. There was no social media, or internet like today. So no warning, or way of contact. And being only about 14, I just had to take it on the chin. Barry went on to own the amusements on the pier a few years later, but I was too proud to ask him for my prize. I'm sure it wasn't much anyway, and I'm sure he would have gave me something if I asked. I liked him. He said he came over from France. David Miller I knew, as he used to come to mine and RW'S card/gambling spieler called the Albany Club in Queens Road. He owned Peter Pans next to the Pier. Now called Adventure Island. He passed Peter Pans on to his son that you mention. His name's Phillip, and he became a multi millionaire because of Adventure Island. Phillip's marmite, and not a great character like his dad.

Reactions: TSG
After The Kursaal exploits, Barry Lecorgne went on to take over the amusement arcade next to Wonderland. It was the least popular arcade on the seafront, as it had the worst amusement machines, and not many of them. People would walk in there, and then end up in Wonderland next door that had a lot more going on. He turned it into an American pool 9 ball hall. Everyone knew reds and yellows, or spots and stripes 8 ball, but no one knew this 9 ball game played on bigger tables, with no nap and lightning fast cloths, where you have to pot balls in order 1 to 9. It was a much harder game and didn't take off. I actually love the game now, and it's now on the smaller sports channels a lot. Efren Reyes being the best ever player in my opinion. Anyway, I played all summer in Barry's pinball competition there, and I won with the highest score. It was a mystery prize, but he kept telling everyone it was a brilliant mystery prize. So the end of season, I went to collect my prize, and the pool hall had shut down, Lol. There was no social media, or internet like today. So no warning, or way of contact. And being only about 14, I just had to take it on the chin. Barry went on to own the amusements on the pier a few years later, but I was too proud to ask him for my prize. I'm sure it wasn't much anyway, and I'm sure he would have gave me something if I asked. I liked him. He said he came over from France. David Miller I knew, as he used to come to mine and RW'S card/gambling spieler called the Albany Club in Queens Road. He owned Peter Pans next to the Pier. Now called Adventure Island. He passed Peter Pans on to his son that you mention. His name's Phillip, and he became a multi millionaire because of Adventure Island. Phillip's marmite, and not a great character like his dad.

There was an old guy I knew who sold watches on the seafront, only did it 3 months a year, and made a fortune.

There was an old guy I knew who sold watches on the seafront, only did it 3 months a year, and made a fortune.
That might have been Ken ('Under Pressure' was his nickname). Sadly passed a few months ago in Basildon. It might have been Gerry The Swell. Still going strong, I see him regularly. They both sold the watches down there. Also sun glasses.

Many memories of the Kursaal, not the Football ground I have to admit, but a school trip to the amusement park in 1964, and seeing many a band in the Seventies!

However, apologies as continuing the 'off subject' theme, but didn't Barry and Peter go on to run attractions at the end of Southend Pier? I worked their for three consecutive summers 75 to 77, in the cafe 75 as a 'chef', certain I saw them around, Barry was a big bloke as I recall.
He was rotund. Sometimes had a brownish beard.

Reactions: TSG
Back