• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Morning After

Six years ago, I tasted the ultimate high supporting this club at Wembley. I opined that evening that it was never going to get any better, I'd spent most of my life dreaming of it and then there it was, I had it. I'm not saying I was a catalyst I'm just some oik who goes to games, but I don't think I could have been alone in those thoughts.

For me the malaise started soon after, chasing that high again. The money spent to bring those moments back but never achieving anywhere near it.

I might be chastised for this, but to be totally honest, this morning I'm not that bothered. I haven't really cared for three years now and that was drifting away during the prior three before that.

Looking back now, I wish we'd have cocked it up at Wembley, the Pig's goal ruled out because of a push in the area, we lost in sudden death, anything...

Hopefully this is the point where we start again and everyone around the club has a glint in their eyes rather than what feels like being automatons.

SEL is owned by Martin Dawn PLC...

Which is owned (FFS) roughly

85% Ron Martin
8% Ron Martin’s Wife
7% Geoffrey King

What I’m confused about is, there’s tonnes of mortgage charges against Martin Dawn PLC, for different developments. If Martin has access to the absolute millions he has borrowed, how did the Club not have the money is needed to lift the embargo?
Well questioned.

The council have their eye on all the money they will make from the homes. I don't think dropping down a league will make that much difference to them.
Also, the council (well at least just over half of it) would rather have some say in the local development plans, rather than be forced by the central government due to a shortage of affordable housing.

I've just been for an early morning walk to reflect on all of this.

I'm gutted at a second successive relegation, years of mismanagement by Ron Martin that (to borrow the analogy speaking about the ESL) "spits in the face" of us loyal fans. The insipid performance by so called professional footballers that seemed unable to grasp the urgency of our situation last night.

Then I remembered my friend Colin, a Sheffield Wednesday fan (who are also facing relegation), he died of COVID two months ago aged 51 and leaves behind a grieving widow and a 9-year old daughter. How they would have loved to hear him bemoaning Wednesday's fate. How I would have loved to be debating the relative mismanagement of our respective teams with him.

My 25-year old son and I were talking the other day about next season, already resigned to our inevitable relegation. He said we'll still be there, we'll still celebrate the highs, bemoan the lows, sing with our friends, shout at the linesman. Once restrictions are lifted, we'll be back supporting our team - whatever league they're playing in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still angry and upset about this. But I have had time to reflect and put a little bit of perspective on this.
Very well put. I lost my father (season ticket holder) and 3 uncles in the last year. All to Covid and all in care homes. My perspective is therefore on the living, looking forwards and trying to stay positive despite the cards that have been dealt. I can only hope something positive comes out of the mess we are in. In truth none of us have enjoyed what we have seen for a few years. Our passion for supporting the club may not have wained but out trust has. Now is the time for fans to come together and next season support this club and get us back into the League. Frankly I am not expecting anything from Ron, certainly nothing like a John Henry 'blame me' bit of honesty so we need to stay united. I will be there in South Upper (assuming it is open) for first game of season and will stand with pride when I read my Dad's name, amongst many we have lost recently, when club does itstribute. UTB

Has anyone seen that message from FSG John Henry to the Liverpool staff and fans? He takes full responsibility for the Super League farce and apologises. Something of that ilk would not go amiss from Ronald

Still in shock after yesterday. I am trying to come to terms with the fact that we are all but relegated.

As many have said it is very difficult to get promoted from the National League and this is a disaster for our club.

I'm very concerned about our future. We need significant investment in our squad which is something we cannot afford. I can't see anyone wanting to buy the club from Ron and don't believe Ron has the funds to turn things around. Is administration our best option? Take the points deduction now? This may be the best option for option for the club and Ron. It will also be a more attractive proposition for a new owner.

If Ron does nothing I can see us folding within the year.

I will support my club until the end. Up the blues!!

I don't think Administration has ever been a real option for SUFC. Our debt is to Ron Martin and his myriad of companies. It isn't in his interest to write that down at the end of an Administration because it is the only asset propping up the rest of his businesses.

All we'd do is maybe write-off some proper debts to suppliers and would pay a fortune in fees to do so.

Has anyone seen that message from FSG John Henry to the Liverpool staff and fans? He takes full responsibility for the Super League farce and apologises. Something of that ilk would not go amiss from Ronald

Why? It would just be more words. More bluster.

Plus you can't believe a word that man says. And he lacks the self-awareness and has too much ego to ever give a meaningful apology.

Why? It would just be more words. More bluster.

Plus you can't believe a word that man says. And he lacks the self-awareness and has too much ego to ever give a meaningful apology.
On my first reading of this, I assumed you were speaking about our man, but now I can see that this was not the case. They must all be of a similar breed then, I would imagine.

How many years has this fantasy been alive now? I've still got my "Support your town" T-shirt given out at the queue for the away cup game at Southampton! What year was that - 1994 or so.

On my first reading of this, I assumed you were speaking about our man, but now I can see that this was not the case. They must all be of a similar breed then, I would imagine.

I meant Ron Martin but tbf you're right. Could be applied to either.

Back