• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The NHS thread

Forget trying to answer like Nick Clegg, this is a football forum. What would you personally suggest we do to raise/charge money fro the NHS.

I think most people would be happy to have a specific proportion of their income tax dedicated to the NHS,in order for it to remain free at the point of use.That would work for me.

I think most people would be happy to have a specific proportion of their income tax dedicated to the NHS,in order for it to remain free at the point of use.That would work for me.

They all ready do its called National Insurance.

Then they would be wrong, NI was established by Lloyd George around 1911 to provide unemployment and ill health insurance. Way before the NHS was established. It is now used to pay for a range of benefits. There has never been a specified part of the tax we pay publicly allocated to the NHS as no British government has adopted the idea of "hypothecation" for tax I.e. proportioning specified elements to particular services upfront. So a government could say 1p in every pound of tax levied will go only to the NHS for instance.
but it doesn't matter as the Health Service will be getting an extra £350 million a week soon, remember?

I partially agree. The NHS could be run better, it has multiple problems and it’s easy to highlight waste. HOWEVER it still wouldn’t work as we would like it to as there are too many patients and not enough money. So you have a choice, and no government has got it he bottle to do either:
push up income tax to whatever amount is required
focuss on getting people to loose weight! This is going to be contentious but speak with a health professional and ask how many patients conditions are to do with their weight. People won’t like to hear this but it’s the truth, I don’t know how to achieve it but if you could achieve this you could actually CUT the NHS budget

Last edited:

Yes.i was thinking along the lines of what's called a hypothecated tax for the NHS.As you say it could come from Nics or from general taxation.

It's certainly an idea whose time has come.All 3 politicians (Labour,Tory and LibDem) I saw interviewed on C4 News last night by John Snow were broadly in favour.
Meanwhile here's today's NHS news.http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42572116 Grim reading.

It's worth remembering the NHS celebrates its 70 birthday this year.It urgently needs a new source of funding.That's why I also suggested a Royal Commission to investigate the issue.

Btw,What's your own preferred solution to the problem of NHS funding?

Yes.i was thinking along the lines of what's called a hypothecated tax for the NHS.As you say it could come from Nics or from general taxation.

It's certainly an idea whose time has come.All 3 politicians (Labour,Tory and LibDem) I saw interviewed on C4 News last night by John Snow were broadly in favour.
Meanwhile here's today's NHS news.http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42572116 Grim reading.

It's worth remembering the NHS celebrates its 70 birthday this year.It urgently needs a new source of funding.That's why I also suggested a Royal Commission to investiget the. issue.

Btw,What's your own preferred solution to the problem of NHS funding?

The problem is what ever fancy name you wrap it in, its just more tax for those that work, for a service that is abused by those that contribute nothing.

The NHS has been a disaster for the nations health. The original theory was that we will save money in the long term because everyone will be healthier. Instead we have created a significant section of people who think it is someone else's financial responsibility for their own selfish stupidity.

For example how does the alcohol industry still get away with the mayhem they cause at weekends in every town, followed by the cost in hospitals and the courts. Well over 100 MP's from all parties on the pay roll is the reason.

P.S You have still not come up with one money saving idea......We await your insight

Such as premature babies, people born with disabilities?

As far as I'm aware not many babies work, nor do they abuse the NHS.

Those that arrive in an ambulance in grey tracksuits, stink of weed and were outside making a phone call having a fag etc whilst nurses search Southend Hospital because they has missed their turn at A&E are the people I'm referring to.

The same day I witnessed that my own mother had to wait way to long with head injuries at the foot of the stairs she had fallen down in Debenhams. Due to the numbers in A&E that Sunday afternoon the Nurse allowed me to use a cubical to clean up and examine my own Mother. Luckily my sister was on hand to get her undressed for her x-ray. As I say Nurses were busy searching toilet cubicles for missing, so called, patients some of whom couldn't be found.....Perhaps they had got bored and went home to watch X factor or finish off the family size pizza.

Haven't you found a hobby yet ?

Best you've got? I'm taking a tip from *** and winding up Right Wing trolls on Twitter. You on there? I need someone to practice on before I move onto the heavy hitters.

Best you've got? I'm taking a tip from *** and winding up Right Wing trolls on Twitter. You on there? I need someone to practice on before I move onto the heavy hitters.

I was only being polite as you might start sending me a snidey PM...Its been a while. Or you might bleat to the mods.

Anyway good luck with your trolling its always safest from a keyboard. Hope you do better than when you tried it on the Jon Venables thread (posts 21 and 23).....GBJ made you look a right fool in just two lines :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I was only being polite as you might start sending me a snidey PM...Its been a aw while. Or you might bleat to the mods.

Anyway good luck with your trolling its always safest from a keyboard. Hope you do better than when you tried it on the Jon Venables thread (posts 21 and 23).....GBJ made you look a right fool in just two lines :thumbsup:

I can't take all the credit, MK did most of the work himself.

I don't really know what's come over him recently. Although we rarely agreed on topics, he was always good for a discussion. Lately he's come across as some new-age journo, who knows nothing other than condescension & scathing sarcasm.

Shame really, as I said, I always enjoyed our little non-hostile back and forth. But now I'm on ignore :cry:

I was only being polite as you might start sending me a snidey PM...Its been a aw while. Or you might bleat to the mods.

Never done either Riggers, as well you know, not my style. I'll just stick you back on ignore like closing a door on one of those yappy dogs with more bark than bite.

I don't really know what's come over him recently. Although we rarely agreed on topics, he was always good for a discussion. Lately he's come across as some new-age journo, who knows nothing other than condescension & scathing sarcasm.

Shame really, as I said, I always enjoyed our little non-hostile back and forth. But now I'm on ignore :cry:

As I said on the thread, the death penalty thing has been done multiple times, then you got a plum up your arse. :raspberry:

But this jolly banter has nothing to do with the NHS so I suggest we move back on topic before the mods come down like a ton of bricks and ban people. Again. Rigsby.

That's the new age JC supporter for you.

Even on the subject of the NHS they have nothing to contribute....Blame the Tories, blame Thatcher, use any means possible to silence debate.....But above all never, never, come up with a single workable solution to any problem other than lets take more money off of those that work.

As I said on the thread, the death penalty thing has been done multiple times, then you got a plum up your arse. :raspberry:

Mate, I shouldn't have to point out to a grown man, that if he doesn't like a topic on a football forum, then he should ignore it.

Anyway, the NHS. A rather fleeting view, but the people who work in the NHS, all seem to think a major problem is too many desk jockeys & business consultants, who rake in 10 times what the average nurse is earning.

Back