• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The No. 9 Question

With Ranger out for some time, who would you like to see given a run as our target man?

• Acquah

• Goodship

• Akinola

• Holmes

• Dieng

• Halford

• Rush

• Jay Simpson

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
Some, like me were hoping (maybe clinging to the impossible) that Nile Ranger could answer our target man issues. Obviously not!

Who would you play up top, say for the next 6 games?

I think Emile has improved in recent games, but I still think he’s WIP. But, we don’t have a lot of other options.

Maybe Goodship? Surely as an out an out striker, with good service he’d score - after all he does have a decent track record. I know he’s been criticised, but was generally played out of position in those games. I’d be interested to see how he fairs with decent service from Akinola, Holmes / Olayinka and ANG.

Anyone want to take a bite at this one?

Has to be Acquah for me. He’s looking better and better with each game and he’s the only one physically who has the potential to play that position. I see us carrying on with the 4-2-3-1 and I see Goodship as being cover for Akinola on the left of the 3. I think without Ranger, the lone striker role should be Acquah’s, with Halford as cover.

I think Acquah has to continue at No9.
Yes a WIP , but I think he's performed really well in our recent run of games and despite him not scoring ( maybe when he could have done better ) he has allowed ANG and Akinola more freedom.
Akinola plays better out wide IMO and playing Acquah gives us that option.
I hope Good ship comes good ( no pun intended ) , but to me he is one of those players that doesn't want to get involves and frankly doesn't look up for the fight.
It maybe that his body language is different , but he doesn't look like he'll give defenders a hard time.
Yes I know Acquah needs to use his size more , but he's improving and think he's our best option right now.

Think Acquah is the only one who can play that position- my concern is Tuesday would be his 3rd game in six days.

Acquah is the man now that our only other big unit Richard Taylor has gone out on loan. I would play Goodship alongside him though until Akinola and Olayinka are fit again.

The way we’re playing it has to be Acquah. I thought the likes of Akinola, RHF and ANG weren’t anywhere near as effective yesterday as against Forest Green but the system itself works, for us. I can’t see MM changing things round for Tues. Emile does show signs of improving in the role. Goodship? Number 9? Nah.

The way we’re playing it has to be Acquah. I thought the likes of Akinola, RHF and ANG weren’t anywhere near as effective yesterday as against Forest Green but the system itself works, for us. I can’t see MM changing things round for Tues. Emile does show signs of improving in the role. Goodship? Number 9? Nah.

It was noticeable more so when Emile did not start v Bolton. I guess MM's thinking was they are a couple big CB's so why have a battle you won't win. 3 light weights may cause them more problems. We ended up with then conning the ref instead of our boys winning the decision, including a penalty.

Add some poor balls up to those players, rubbish throws and a poor pitch, meant the ball came back far to often and to easy. Reminded me of October time and the rest of the team looked less confident without pressure being taken off them.

No one on here has every claimed EA is the best we have had or even in their top 100. But the long list of reasons as to why we are 90th in the league are nothing to do with him. So for those of you who are old enough to be his father or even grandfather and appear to enjoy you continuous and repetitive slagging. Time to shut the F up and start be a fan. You don't have to be fan of EA but be a fan for your team and for a young lad who was about 7th choice forward just over a year ago. We get your point and have heard it enough.

The experience target men who refused to come here, even the ones out of contract knew it would be the toughest job in their career and may even damage their future. All the whingers on here do, is prove them right

I'd expect Acquah, especially given the way he has played in the past week but also due to the improvements and learning he has shown over the course of the season, to be the first-choice in the position for the foreseeable future (and rightly so).

However, I do think, similar to @rigsby's point in his post, that there will be occasions when MM will go with Akinola through the middle with a variation of players either side of him, usually when there are a couple of centre-backs who are big and strong and perhaps Emile won't be expected to have quite the same level of success against them as against others.

As well as Emile has been doing in his defined role for the team, if either of the chances in the first half - and particularly the first one when he rolled the defender and lifted his shot rather than sliding it low and gave the Salford goalkeeper a better chance of saving it - had fallen to Akinola, I'd've expected him to score.

Akinola has shown he has the strength to play in that role and can hold the ball up, and he is "sneaky good in the air" as Paul Clark likes to say (I'm still not sure he'd've been able to angle that first half header down as White's back post header was fairly loopy and difficult to get above). Playing him through the middle allows us to play two of RHF/ANG/Holmes/Egbri out wide and also potentially Goodship or Olayinka (or Holmes/Dieng/Mellis) in the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1.

It was noticeable more so when Emile did not start v Bolton. I guess MM's thinking was they are a couple big CB's so why have a battle you won't win. 3 light weights may cause them more problems. We ended up with then conning the ref instead of our boys winning the decision, including a penalty.

Add some poor balls up to those players, rubbish throws and a poor pitch, meant the ball came back far to often and to easy. Reminded me of October time and the rest of the team looked less confident without pressure being taken off them.

No one on here has every claimed EA is the best we have had or even in their top 100. But the long list of reasons as to why we are 90th in the league are nothing to do with him. So for those of you who are old enough to be his father or even grandfather and appear to enjoy you continuous and repetitive slagging. Time to shut the F up and start be a fan. You don't have to be fan of EA but be a fan for your team and for a young lad who was about 7th choice forward just over a year ago. We get your point and have heard it enough.

The experience target men who refused to come here, even the ones out of contract knew it would be the toughest job in their career and may even damage their future. All the whingers on here do, is prove them right
Sadly it’s been the way some of our fans have been as long as I’ve known. Kev Maher used to get huge stick from people who couldn’t see the bigger picture of what he did for the team. Every season there seems to be a few scapegoats and Emile seems favourite at the minute. The players hear it, know of it, even opposition players and potential Southend players. Does my head in.

Think EA may shade the vote here ! ☝️

FWIW We know Emile’s family, through teaching (as Emile’s dad is a school teacher) he’s a decent and intelligent lad and agree that some of the criticism he’s had is very unfair and at times shameful.

In terms of where he’s at and potential, right now L2 is his level, he has a lot to learn but at the same time experience will not do him any harm providing he gets the right support and guidance. Personally I think he needs to use his size to better effect and become a bit more aggressive, but he’s a young lad and that may come with time. I did think his positional play is improving so hopefully goals will come.

I also think it’s a lot of pressure for him and we need Goodship to step up. I’m still not sure he’s been given the opportunity to play as a central striker, and Emile will need a rest soon. Cannot see another option right now.

It’s also good that MM has faith in Emile. If Sol had his way he’d be out of the club by now, as there was a massive rift developing there.

I actually think acquah hold up play is decent at times, it's just when he in front of goal he needs to be more clinical. Regards to the false 9 role, dieng might be decent shout due to his size and should be commanding in the air and does have shot on him.

Think EA may shade the vote here ! ☝

FWIW We know Emile’s family, through teaching (as Emile’s dad is a school teacher) he’s a decent and intelligent lad and agree that some of the criticism he’s had is very unfair and at times shameful.

In terms of where he’s at and potential, right now L2 is his level, he has a lot to learn but at the same time experience will not do him any harm providing he gets the right support and guidance. Personally I think he needs to use his size to better effect and become a bit more aggressive, but he’s a young lad and that may come with time. I did think his positional play is improving so hopefully goals will come.

I also think it’s a lot of pressure for him and we need Goodship to step up. I’m still not sure he’s been given the opportunity to play as a central striker, and Emile will need a rest soon. Cannot see another option right now.

It’s also good that MM has faith in Emile. If Sol had his way he’d be out of the club by now, as there was a massive rift developing there.

It is a lot of pressure on him, but it shouldn’t be. Fans should recognise that he’s very young, raw and learning all the time. He should be out there playing with freedom and confidence, with no one expecting too much from him. He needs that environment where he can just concentrate on playing football and have the fans behind him. The reason he might be feeling that pressure is the ridiculous amount of people who seem to want him to fail so they can say they told you so after they replied to the lineup on Twitter to say Acquah’s the worst footballer they’ve ever seen. The same goes for the usual suspects on here too.

He‘s 20 years old and has found himself leading the line in a fight against relegation from the football league. In an ideal world he‘d be on loan right now, or making a few sub appearances here and there. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t choose to take too long to get his shot away, aim his header straight at the keeper or mis-control a ball just to **** Shrimpet Steve off. Cut the lad some slack, he’s one of our own and he’s currently in the trenches fighting, scrapping and battling to do his best for the shirt. He might not be playing like prime Barry Corr, but prime Barry Corr wasn’t playing like prime Barry Corr at 20 either. I just wish people would actually support the lad.

I seriously hope he gets his run in the team and continues going from strength to strength.

It is a lot of pressure on him, but it shouldn’t be. Fans should recognise that he’s very young, raw and learning all the time. He should be out there playing with freedom and confidence, with no one expecting too much from him. He needs that environment where he can just concentrate on playing football and have the fans behind him. The reason he might be feeling that pressure is the ridiculous amount of people who seem to want him to fail so they can say they told you so after they replied to the lineup on Twitter to say Acquah’s the worst footballer they’ve ever seen. The same goes for the usual suspects on here too.

He‘s 20 years old and has found himself leading the line in a fight against relegation from the football league. In an ideal world he‘d be on loan right now, or making a few sub appearances here and there. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t choose to take too long to get his shot away, aim his header straight at the keeper or mis-control a ball just to **** Shrimpet Steve off. Cut the lad some slack, he’s one of our own and he’s currently in the trenches fighting, scrapping and battling to do his best for the shirt. He might not be playing like prime Barry Corr, but prime Barry Corr wasn’t playing like prime Barry Corr at 20 either. I just wish people would actually support the lad.

I seriously hope he gets his run in the team and continues going from strength to strength.

Quote simply and brilliantly put

You’ve convinced me. Let’s make Emile our March Hare !

So, with 8 other options, Emile quite rightly gets 67.3% of the vote. His nearest contenders are Akinola who imo is best suited alongside Emile, (and now possibly injured) and Simpson, whose fitness we can't be sure of, and there must be reasons why MM (or anyone else) haven't signed him. When Sol was playing lots of youngsters everyone was encouraging them so why aren't we doing that now with this young lad ? He is our best option, one of our own and has been thrown in at probably the most difficult time in our club's history. I assume we would all like to still be a Football League club next season so how about supporting those players willing to fight for the cause, including Emile.

When does Acquah's contract expire? We need to get him signed up for next season as other clubs will have noticed his improvements
Has been playing either from the start or coming off the bench nearly every game and has scored one goal, not up to this level and he won’t keep us up, the quicker he goes the better complete waste of space.

Has been playing either from the start or coming off the bench nearly every game and has scored one goal, not up to this level and he won’t keep us up, the quicker he goes the better complete waste of space.
As has been stated many many times on many many threads, being a forward isn't just about scoring goals, he's got very good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

He is no worse than a lot of L2 target men and he's only 20 and seems to be very coachable

Back