• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Razam

Coach
Portsmourth seems to be on the brink - with reports of players not willing to budge on their wage demands & ignoring the appeals of fans, things don't look good at all.

Which led me to think what would happen to make up the position in the league should pompy go to yhe wall. Basically the Football league rules states that the number of clubs to be relegated would be reduced - however I think this jus rewards the clubs who have not performed well enough throughout the season. Instead, I think the rules should reward clubs, who actually do perform well, but a result or 2, may have been in the autos (eg. Southend Utd. 2011/2012).

Although it probably wont achieve much, i sent off an email to the league.....

To: enquiries@football-league.co.uk
Hello

I was reading about Portsmouth Football Club’s current financial predicament , and I wondered what would happen should the worst-case-scenario play-out for real. It appears that Section 3 : 12.2.1 - 12.2.3* are the relevant rules that would apply.

However, the rules appear to me, to go against the ‘spirit’ of the game, and actually rewards failure! From reading the section, my understanding is that: regardless of when a club ceases being a member of the Football League, the number relegation places is reduced.

What I believe would be a better option would be to increase the number automatic promotion positions, in the leagues below the club whose membership has ceased (except in the bottom tier, where – unless an agreement can be reached with Non-League Football Association – the relegation places would be reduced). This I believe, would be more in keeping with the ethos of the Football League, by rewarding success.

Let’s hope the discussion remains purely academic, and Portsmouth FC (and others) are able to survive the current financial problems.

* http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20120702/section-3-the-league_2293633_2125717#11

Thanks
Kind Regards,
Razam

You forget we lost in the playoff semi finals and therefore it would be more likely a playoff final loser would be promoted.

Nethertheless, it's not going to happen so there!

Good effort. But Wycombe would be the beneficiary in the event of Pompey going pop.

Yes, it's a point that I have thought about myself but came to the conclusion that we would most likely,at best, to be third (after Wycombe and Cheltenham) in line.

Still, let's hope that Portsmouth do manage to get themsleves sorted out. I'm not sure that even Brighton or Southampton fans want to see them in this state ..........and of course the football league wouldn't be the same without some bloke ringing a bell from time to time ........... and at least they have an original chant.

Good effort. But Wycombe would be the beneficiary in the event of Pompey going pop.

....and then presumably Hereford and so on.

I can't see at this late stage how the FL can restructure, teams have bugeted for whatever league they are in and cut their cloth accordingly. Also bear in mind Wycombe have recently been under Umbongo.

If Pompey do go tits up then they should leave League 1 at 23 clubs.

Yes, it's a point that I have thought about myself but came to the conclusion that we would most likely,at best, to be third (after Wycombe and Cheltenham) in line.

Still, let's hope that Portsmouth do manage to get themsleves sorted out. I'm not sure that even Brighton or Southampton fans want to see them in this state ..........and of course the football league wouldn't be the same without some bloke ringing a bell from time to time ........... and at least they have an original chant.

You mean 'Pay up Pompey Pompey pay up'.

I agree, as much as I hate Orient/Col U/West Ham I wouldn't want to see any of them go to the wall:

(a) because to take away a fans football club is horrendous

and

(b) I wouldn't want to lose a local rivalry

We've no chance of profiting from this and nor should we.

The question out of this from a Southend United perspective is that Portsmouth could well go to the wall because of these eight players having contracts so far beyond the means of the Club that the club can't do anything to save itself. They can't make the players redundant because it's against League rules and whilst the supporters club have petitioned the players to take huge cuts or walk away for nothing a couple of them at least (Kanu & Ben Haim) don't want to know - arguably rightly.

So therefore would Portsmouth be right to do a Ron Martin and simply refuse to pay these players?

We've no chance of profiting from this and nor should we.

The question out of this from a Southend United perspective is that Portsmouth could well go to the wall because of these eight players having contracts so far beyond the means of the Club that the club can't do anything to save itself. They can't make the players redundant because it's against League rules and whilst the supporters club have petitioned the players to take huge cuts or walk away for nothing a couple of them at least (Kanu & Ben Haim) don't want to know - arguably rightly.

So therefore would Portsmouth be right to do a Ron Martin and simply refuse to pay these players?

I feel this is a little harsh. I know you say "arguably rightly", but suggesting they don't want to know is incorrect. Ben Haim actually came out on Monday (and the interview was on SSN) saying that 2 months ago a deal had been agreed in principle with Birch (the administrator). Yet once they had completed the meeting they (the players) didn't then hear from Birch again until he started whining in the press about the players are ruining the club etc.

He then suggested that, whilst the club already owe him £2.5 million, he is willing to talk away now without being paid, but why should he when the fees the administrators are charging are greater than what he as an EMPLOYEE is owed.

Similarly Kanu has opened a case against Pompey for Payment of £3 million he is owed from unpaid wages. Now whilst most of these numbers sound like silly money to us, at the end of the day it is still these players jobs and they are entitled to be paid the monies owed especially when the administrators telling them to just leave the club and give up all of their wages are taken millions of £'s worth of fees themselves.

Now without an "I told you so" moment, this was far too obvious that it was going to happen the first time Pompey came out of Administration, and the next day went and signed Kitson and Lawrence on £35,000 a week each! In some ways the "Club" deserves what it is getting, however I feel massively for the fans as they did not ask for or want any of this to happen to their club.

Now without an "I told you so" moment, this was far too obvious that it was going to happen the first time Pompey came out of Administration, and the next day went and signed Kitson and Lawrence on £35,000 a week each! In some ways the "Club" deserves what it is getting, however I feel massively for the fans as they did not ask for or want any of this to happen to their club.

Truth! I cant believe Pompey are still in existence tbh.

I feel this is a little harsh. I know you say "arguably rightly", but suggesting they don't want to know is incorrect. Ben Haim actually came out on Monday (and the interview was on SSN) saying that 2 months ago a deal had been agreed in principle with Birch (the administrator). Yet once they had completed the meeting they (the players) didn't then hear from Birch again until he started whining in the press about the players are ruining the club etc.

He then suggested that, whilst the club already owe him £2.5 million, he is willing to talk away now without being paid, but why should he when the fees the administrators are charging are greater than what he as an EMPLOYEE is owed.

Similarly Kanu has opened a case against Pompey for Payment of £3 million he is owed from unpaid wages. Now whilst most of these numbers sound like silly money to us, at the end of the day it is still these players jobs and they are entitled to be paid the monies owed especially when the administrators telling them to just leave the club and give up all of their wages are taken millions of £'s worth of fees themselves.

Fair enough. The point was that for whatever reason this situation exists and that the players aren't just going to walk away from it.

Pompey - What if??

They fold - will we get promoted as Dundee have done in the SPL - Would Cheltenham get invited as play-off runners up?
Any ideas?

They fold - will we get promoted as Dundee have done in the SPL - Would Cheltenham get invited as play-off runners up?
Any ideas?

No & no. If as expected Pompey fold on 10th August that's 8 days before the season is due to kick off, there's no time to make all the necessary changes. League 1 will proceed with 23 clubs.

The Dundee / Rangers situation is different as I believe the SFA held off on publishing the fixtures until Rangers' situation was resolved

Last edited:
Terrible shame that a club like Pompey are going through this. I've always had a soft spot for them since that Cup run in the 90s when, IIRC, a young Darren Anderton made his name. Hope they come out the other side.

If they reform they'll go to the bottom of the pyramid, so way below the Football League.

Latest news from `When Saturday Comes`

27 July 2012 ~

With Portsmouth facing liquidation it's good to hear that someone with an impeccable record of financial propriety is offering to help out. "There must be a group of people or someone out there who could take over," says the club's former manager Harry Redknapp. A dog with a bank account in Monaco has now been linked with a bid.

Poor Pompey :omg:

....and then presumably Hereford and so on.

I can't see at this late stage how the FL can restructure, teams have bugeted for whatever league they are in and cut their cloth accordingly. Also bear in mind Wycombe have recently been under Umbongo.

If Pompey do go tits up then they should leave League 1 at 23 clubs.
And then promote 4 with a play off for the fifth place; and two and a play off from conference? nice idea.

Back