• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Rifles

Probably won't bother this time. The last two occassions have been spoilt by people preferring to talk though the entire gig, raising their voices to be heard over the band ! The acoustic set was almost drowned out at some stages.

Interesting, considering the main topic on the other thread, that no one has mentioned the ticket price increase, The first time I saw the Rifles at Chinnerys (after the release of the 2nd Album) tickets were 8 Quid, the accoustic set was 10 and this is 13.50 and I don't think they are any better now than around the 2nd Album....

Probably won't bother this time. The last two occassions have been spoilt by people preferring to talk though the entire gig, raising their voices to be heard over the band ! The acoustic set was almost drowned out at some stages.

Interesting, considering the main topic on the other thread, that no one has mentioned the ticket price increase, The first time I saw the Rifles at Chinnerys (after the release of the 2nd Album) tickets were 8 Quid, the accoustic set was 10 and this is 13.50 and I don't think they are any better now than around the 2nd Album....

I don't know their music, but they must be pretty quiet or good old Health & Safety have turned the amps down. I used to walk out of gigs with my ears ringing.

I was at a Smashing Pumpkins gig around the time of the Gish album at Highbury (IIRC) and Billy Corgan threatened to walk off stage if there wasn't complete silence during the quiet bits. Perhaps that's the attitude they should take!

Last edited:
I don't know their music, but they must be pretty quiet or good old Health & Safety have turned the amps down. I used to walk out of gigs with my ears ringing.

I was at a Smashing Pumpkins gig around the time of the Gish album at Highbury (IIRC) and Billy Corgan threatened to walk off stage if there wasn't complete silence during the quiet bits. Perhaps that's the attitude they should take!

You should try this Paul - Kev plays them at a decibel level that hurts my ears!
[video=youtube;FY74RmVucYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY74RmVucYg[/video]

Its all right, Indie rock by numbers. The 60's London look is a bit dated or is this the revivial of the mid 90's revival. :dizzy:

Last edited:
Its all right, Indie rock by numbers. The 60's London look is a bit dated or is this the revivial of the mid 90's revival. :dizzy:
Who knows Paul, prob BLUEBLOOD or Firestorm can tell you, I'm not that much of an afficionado, I know their Moddishness makes them popular amongst people from both periods in time!

From what i have seen on the Modculture and Mod Revival forums, generally opinion is split. A large number of Mod revivalists these days are trying to be true to the original Mod thing which was totally different musically to the common 60's mod conception and did not involve The Who, Kinks, etc.
The 79 Rivialists were more influenced by the Jam, Secret Affair, Chords etc and it is these Mods who have taken a liking to the Rifles. I would imagine that the later revival you refer to is the OCS / Blur / Verve thing which is generally regarded as Mod revival influenced britpop .
The fanbase do appear to be a real mixture of those who like them for their Jam influence those who like the 90's britpop feel and those who like the recent Indie stuff .

Personally, the "we are the mods" chanting by a load of blokes old enough to know that wearing a Harrington and a Fred Perry does not maketh Mod , at a chinnerys gig is one of the reasons i don't quite fancy it this time.

Mind you, the Eton Rifles cover at the Forum a couple of years back , when Weller came on to perform the number for the first time in over 25 years, was a bit special

Back